Re: Firth McEachern - Diversity Shock, Part 8

  • dphilfinc
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 9, 2010
      For all of you who have been following my column, thank you. It has so far been a pleasure exploring the maze of language issues in the Philippines, especially in Northern Luzon. For those new to this column, I am a foreigner working in La Union for 6 months in the San Fernando City government. As a representative of a Canadian organization that champions sustainability, I became unexpectedly mesmerized by the huge changes occurring in people's language habits in this country. Almost all of the small languages in this country (like Bolinao, Isneg, Zambaleno), and even the big ones (like Ilokano, Kapampangan, and Pangasinense) are threatened, because people in the cities are speaking more and more Tagalog and English. (If you are confused why I am using the word `language' instead of `dialect' by the way, please refer to my last column in which I explain the proper use of these terms).

      Since cities are the centers of development, it is only a matter of time when a city trend becomes a reality of the countryside. If local languages are being replaced in the cities, then rural folk will notice this trend, and in an effort to give their children the opportunity to find jobs in the city, parents will emphasize Tagalog and English, at the expense of their mother tongue. You might not think this is a problem because Tagalog and English are much more "useful." But isn't it better to know how to speak three things—English, Tagalog, and your mother tongue—rather than just two things, English and Tagalog? Anyway, if we are going to save our languages, we must secure them in the cities first. If they are alive and vibrant in the cities, then they will continue to be alive and vibrant in the countryside.

      So why are local languages declining in the cities? One persistent problem is the fact that immigrants are not obliged to learn local languages. Since everyone knows how to speak Tagalog, and there is no formal instruction of the local language, there is no incentive for immigrants from other areas to try to learn it. This creates an obvious dilemma. To use San Fernando, La Union as an example: when a group of 10 Ilokano-speaking people are found together, they can freely communicate in their own tongue. But if a single non-Ilokano joins the group, it makes sense to switch to Tagalog to politely include the new person. The same principle applies to much larger scales. If enough people arrive from other parts of the Philippines to San Fernando, and they are not able, encouraged, or compelled to learn Ilokano, then eventually everyone will switch to the common Tagalog. As more and more of one's friends, colleagues, and potential mates fail to speak your native tongue, it becomes too impractical to continue speaking it on a regular basis, or pass it to one's children. I know a Tagalog woman who has lived in the Ilocos region for 5 years and only knows one phrase in Ilokano: "Diak maawatan!"

      This problem could be avoided if provinces implemented some form of local vernacular instruction in school, even if it were only one class during Home Room, so that immigrants could learn the basics. Such language policy thankfully exists elsewhere, such as in Canada. If an English Canadian moves to the French-speaking province of Quebec, he is required to learn French in school even though his mother tongue is English and even though the rest of the country is English. A similar policy in the Philippines would mean that if a native of Quezon moved to Ilocos Norte as a child, she would grow up to learn English, Tagalog, and Ilocano in school, while a young migrant from Ilocos Norte to Pampanga would learn English, Tagalog, and Kapampangan in school. This would preserve the policy that all Filipinos learn English and the national language, but it would also ensure the linguistic identity of each province was respectfully maintained.

      From a social perspective, it is our collective responsibility to preserve the culture and language of each region for the benefit of Filipino heritage. It is partly the responsibility of newcomers to learn the local language, and it is also the responsibility of the locals to help newcomers learn it. A common complaint I get from immigrants to La Union is that the Ilokanos always speak to them in Tagalog so it's difficult to learn Ilokano. Instead, we should all enthusiastically embrace the opportunity to teach and learn the vernacular, as an expression of cultural respect and exchange.
    • dphilfinc
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 10, 2010
        --- In DILA@yahoogroups.com, Correction: the previous one was Part 9.

        Many young people and professionals are abandoning their mother tongue in preference for Tagalog and English, and this is unsustainable for Filipino diversity. I am only 24, and it frightens me that in the same amount of time, many Philippine languages may become extinct.

        Perhaps the most concerning threat to Philippine languages is the low level of knowledge about them. The vast majority of Filipino society do not even know that the tongues they call "dialects" are, for the most part, full-fledged languages. This is not a case of the public not remembering the proper terminology taught in school. It is a case of the schools themselves misinforming their students, with textbooks and teachers erroneously calling Ilocano, Hilgayanon, Bikolano, and the other languages as mere dialects. This claim, whether intentional or not, dangerously undermines the importance of the other Philippine languages. Losing a dialect is losing one variant of the same language, but losing an independent language—which represents thousands of years in the making—is even more serious. In dismissing a language as a dialect, therefore, one absolves oneself from the urgent responsibility to protect it.

        Why is it incorrect to refer to Philippine languages as dialects? The mainstream, internationally accepted definition of a dialect is that it is mutually understandable with another dialect. That is, speakers of different dialects should be able to understand each other. If you say Ilokano and Kapampangan are dialects, for example, that implies that an Ilokano person and a Kapampangan person can understand each other even if it is the first time they have heard the other dialect. But that is clearly not the case. A Kapampangan cannot understand Ilokano, and visa-versa. Kapampangan and Ilokano, therefore, are separate languages. This applies to the rest of the 100+ languages of the Philippines. In fact, many Philippine languages have less in common with each other than European languages have, like Italian and French.

        If you don't believe that the various mother tongues of the Philippines are languages, go research for yourself. Check on Wikipedia. Check on Ethnologue, the world's compendium of languages. Check your very own Constitution! Article XIV, Section 7 correctly refers to the vernaculars as "languages", and further recognizes them as "auxiliary official languages in the regions." It is also interesting to note that the Constitution proclaims these regional languages as "auxiliary media of instruction." This means that penalizing a pupil for speaking a major Philippine language like Ilokano or Pangasinan violates the most supreme law of the Philippines. To put it simply, teachers and schools who have punished or fined their students for speaking a vernacular have actually broken the law. Those who feel reluctant to use the local language in school—don't be ashamed. You have a constitutional right to do so.

        Even though many people misuse the word dialect, I must clarify that dialects do exist in the Philippines. The true meaning of dialect, however, is not what the general public is familiar with. In truth, dialects represent variations of the same language. Southern Tagalog, for example, is different from Manila Tagalog. These would be correctly classified as dialects (i.e variations) of one language, Tagalog. Similarly, the Iloko spoken in Ilocos Norte is a little bit different from the Iloko spoken in La Union and Isabela, yet they can still all understand each other. These regional differences are dialects, but viewed together they make up the whole Iloko language. Similarly, Bikol Legaspi and Bikol Naga City are dialects of the Bikol language. By this criteria, there are 300 dialects in the Philippines, representing 120 or more distinct languages.

        As explained by Dr. Andrew Gonzalez, former DepEd Secretary and Professor of Linguistics at De Le Salle University: "The other Philippine languages (not dialects), as of the last count, were put at 120 (see McFarland, 1993). If one adds the varieties which are mutually intelligible (hence genuine dialects), the estimate extends to over 300. Part of the confusion in the literature on the Philippines during the American period (l898 to l946), and even now among non-linguistically trained academic researchers, is that authors still speak of the 120 Philippine languages (by linguistic definition, mutually unintelligible) as if they were `dialects'."

        Now that you know your local "dialects" are in fact complete languages according to the international community and according to mainstream science, any threat to their survival should be taken very seriously. If children are not speaking the mother tongue as fluently as their parents, and if local languages continue to be excluded from media, education, and business, then you risk losing something as important, as old, and as celebrated as the English language itself.
      • dphilfinc
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 11, 2010
          I was standing in a school courtyard in Sagada, Mountain Province. Some boys, not more than 10-yrs-old, were noisily playing a make-shift bowling game. A few of their words sounded Ilokano, but I assumed it was my imagination. When I spoke to them, I was just as much surprised that they understood Ilocano as they were surprised to hear a foreigner speak it.

          "Aren't you Kankana-ey?" I asked them.
          "Yes" they replied.
          "So how come you are speaking Ilokano?"
          "Because most of the people around here are speaking Ilokano. It's mixed."

          Many a time have I spoken out against the supplanting of Iloko by Tagalog in traditional Ilokano areas like La Union and Ilocos Sur. But now I was faced with a different situation: Iloko was not the victim in Sagada, it was Kankana-ey! The irony hit me like a brick. Here in Mountain Province many of the Kankana-ey prefer Iloko. In La Union, many of the Ilokanos prefer Tagalog. And in Manila, many of the Tagalogs prefer English. Why does everyone prefer a language different from their own? It's a domino effect, and nobody is happy with who they are.

          This mentality permeates other aspects of Filipino society. People frequently admire my American-bought shoes, my "guapo" Caucasian nose, my white skin, my surfer shorts, and other artifacts of my foreignness. What is so great about these things? My American shoes, which so many of my Filipino friends have requested, have fallen apart after only 3 months of use. Meanwhile, the cheap shoes that I bought here for only $3 have lasted me 6 months! Just because it comes from abroad does not mean it is good. And what's so great about Caucasian noses? Who said large slender noses are better than cute button noses? A nose that looks beautiful on one person's face may not work for another, so there is no such thing as the ideal nose. And as for skin…I would gladly trade my white skin for the smooth brown skin of a Filipino. Brown skin is more resistant to sun damage, it looks more youthful, moles and other blemishes are more camouflaged, and it simply looks better!

          Another manifestation of Filipinos' dismissal of local creations is the music scene. American pop and RnB are by far the most popular music here. Even popular Filipino music sounds like American music, with very similar styles, instruments, and content that American bands are producing. Most of the music that reaches these shores is simply the redone, overplayed, simple, and uncreative pap found among the Top 40 list, but there is so much more music to experience that simply isn't heard here. Why don't Filipinos—like South Asians, Africans, and Middle Eastern people—develop their own brand of music influenced by their own traditions?

          My point in describing all this is that there pervades (and please speak up if you disagree), a deep-seated apathy for local traditions in this country, whether it be local music, local clothing, local anatomy, or local vernaculars. In addition, whenever a trend comes along, masses of people chase it without questioning whether or not it is actually good. Ilokanos and Pangasinenses sometimes call their mother tongue "corny" or "not useful", and try to teach their children Tagalog instead. I've asked many Ilokano mothers, "Why are you only speaking Tagalog to your child?" and many say, "Because that is the trend." And? So what if it's a trend? PERHAPS IT'S NOT A TREND WORTH FOLLOWING! Wouldn't it be better if you taught your child both languages? And won't your child learn Tagalog at school, from Tagalog friends, and from television anyway!?

          For those who want to follow the trend and abandon their native tongue, I should probably add: teaching your children Tagalog will not miraculously fix their situation. One trip to Central Luzon and you will realize there are millions of Tagalog-speaking poor people. The people you see on television are a very small minority of wealthy, fair-skinned celebrities, and getting your children to talk like them won't make them any closer to stardom. Unless other self-help measures are taken, a poor person who switches languages is still a poor person—all she has accomplished is the loss of her culture and heritage. So now, in addition to having little money, she has lost a piece of her identity as well.

          Poverty, in essence, is relative. It's not just about a lack of money; it can be many other things too. Poverty is an existence in which everything valuable is defined by someone else. Poverty is the acceptance of trends without room for your own creativity. Poverty is when everyone has to be the same, rather than respect and learn from each other's differences. You are poor if money is the only way you measure progress. If you lose your culture, and then for some reason lost all your money, what would you have left to support you?
        • dphilfinc
          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 12, 2010
            "Anu ang pobrito mong pagkain?" the MC asked.
            "Pizza po," said the little girl.
            "Ayan! Masarap!"

            I guess they think Ilokano is not "cool" or "fancy" enough for a Little Miss Barangay contest, I thought, as I watched the event. Don't they realize that Ilokano is just as rich and old a language as Tagalog? And don't they realize that by excluding the local tongue from high profile events like Little Miss contests, they further undermine its prestige?

            I turned to the gentleman to my right, the Hon. Vice-Governor Aureo Q. Nisce, and said, "I'm sad that these little girls are being forced to answer in Tagalog. The MC should set an example and speak Tagalog AND Ilokano interchangeably, so that the girls know it's acceptable to answer in either. Otherwise they will just grow up thinking Tagalog is superior to Ilokano, which is not a positive belief."
            "Yes, I noticed this too. They should not be ashamed of using Ilokano," the Vice-Governor said.

            "Is there anything that could be done about it?" I asked.
            "You know what? If I am reelected I will suggest more events for Ilokano, like poetry readings and song competitions."
            "That's great!" I said, glad that someone high up in government noticed the marginalization of mother tonguess too.

            In previous columns I've discussed the exclusion of local language in business, education, and other places, but as demonstrated by Tagalog and English-dominated events like pageants, the vernacular is also excluded from many social situations. That's why Sir Aureo's idea to create more Ilocano events is very important. My suggestion is that these events not just be ABOUT the Iloko language, since that is too specific for most people's taste. (And anyway, there are already such events organized by organizations like GUMIL, the Association of Ilokano Writers). In order to expose the vernacular to a wider audience, therefore, it's important to also have events that simply USE it. We should establish all sorts of events — such as science fairs, health drives, pageants, job fairs, or musical performances — with the only difference being that that they are conducted in the local language. They are ordinary events with a twist, that send a message to the public that it is acceptable to use Ilokano in many situations, not just when the topic is about Ilokano itself.

            The most common argument against using the local vernacular in public events is, "What if some people don't understand?" For me, that is precisely the reason why we SHOULD use the vernacular at public events. If some people don't understand the local language that means some people are failing to learn it, and the tongue is destined to decay. Therefore, we need to provide non-speakers of Ilocano the opportunity to hear and learn it, so that the linguistic heritage of La Union is kept intact. The same goes for any other part of the Philippines. The only way to ensure the survival of local languages is to use them, so their use in public should be encouraged.
            The older generation, especially the politicians, instinctively know this. They are not ashamed to speak in the local tongue even in the most high profile events. When his Hon. Jejomar Binay came to La Union, the Governor, the 2 congressmen, and the ex-Mayor of San Fernando all managed to incorporate Iloko into their speeches, even though Binay is a native Tagalog! Binay was not fazed or upset that his hosts used the local language; on the contrary, he wryly told the audience that, although he could not speak the local language, his skin at least looked dark enough for Northern Luzon! It was a humorous and completely relaxed atmosphere.

            By contrast to the free way adults use the vernacular, the younger generation is reluctant to do so. I don't know why, but it might be a shame that is hammered into them in school. Most of the young people who walk into my office introduce themselves in Tagalog. When I ask them why, they say they are trying to be polite and are also not sure if the staff speak Ilokano. In reference to their first concern, being polite is not about what language you use, but rather HOW you use it. And as for the second concern, so what? Use your mother tongue first, and if the listener gives you a blank stare, switch languages. It's as simple as that. No hard feelings, no problem. It's high time young people start respecting their heritage.
          • dphilfinc
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 12, 2010
              --- In DILA@yahoogroups.com, As noted earlier, these six installments were provided by Manny but there are at least three more we don't have yet.

              I had an argument with a young teacher from a private school last week. I noticed she spoke the local language (which is Iloko/Ilokano here in La Union) with her friends and fellow teachers, but whenever addressing students, even informally in the halls, she spoke in Tagalog. "Why do you resist using Ilokano with your students?" I asked her. "Even when you are just asking what they are eating for lunch, you speak to them in Tagalog!" I added.

              "Because Tagalog and English are for the school. Ilokano is for the home," she quipped snobbishly.

              "That's ridiculous." I said. "First of all, I understand that in a Tagalog-based subject, such as Filipino or Makabayan, you would naturally use Tagalog. But outside the classroom, it doesn't matter what language you speak! If it is just in the hallways, the playground, or lunch area, you should feel free to chat with students in the native language — Ilokano. Secondly, didn't you know that DepEd is introducing mother tongue-based education in all Philippine primary schools by 2012? That means the national government is wisely declaring that school is not just for English and Tagalog, but also for the mother tongue. And anyway," I continued, "if you keep speaking to them in Tagalog, what if they lose their Ilokano?"
              "They won't lose their Ilokano," she replied. "As I said, before, they learn it in the home."

              "Actually Ma'am, let me explain…" I then went on to describe why her assumption is simply incorrect.

              Many children are unfortunately NOT learning the local language/dialect in the home. I have collected informal data about language use in San Fernando during the 6 months I`ve been here. About 40% of child-bearing Ilokano mothers are speaking exclusively in Tagalog to their children, while a further 40-50% are speaking a mix of Tagalog and Iloko. When I ask these mothers, "Aren't you worried your children will lose their mother tongue?" they usually respond, "No no, they will learn Ilokano from their friends and relatives. But if most of the other mothers are also speaking Tagalog to their children, then it is likely that a child will not learn Ilokano from other children. Furthermore, if children are pushed to speak Tagalog and English in school, it is even more unreasonable to assume they will just "pick up" Ilokano elsewhere.

              Let's be scientific. I will analyze the assumption that children will automatically learn their mother tongue, and hope to prove to you that in the case of many cities, this assumption is false. There are 24 hours in a day. How long is a typical Filipino child at the age of 10 being exposed to Tagalog, English, and his mother tongue?

              The average school-age child spends 8 hrs/day at school, almost all of which is in English and Tagalog. The average child spends 8 hrs/day sleeping, during which there is no language transmission.
              The average Filipino spends 200 minutes/day watching television, the second highest rate in Asia. Television is almost all in Tagalog and English.

              Subtracting these three activities from 24 hours, the balance is 4.7 hours remaining, during which time the child is primarily eating, interacting with family, hanging out with friends, or doing errands. Since many mothers are choosing to speak Tagalog or English to their children, and many young friends speak Tagalog to each other, this means that only a fraction of the remaining 4.7 hours of a child's day actually involves his native tongue. Adding to this the Tagalog and English he is exposed to in music, radio, newspapers, books, billboards, street signs, and commercial establishments, it would be a fair estimate that the average Filipino child is exposed to only 2 hours (8.3%) of his native tongue per day, and some even less so.

              Thus, even if the vernacular seems to be widespread for parents, the same does not hold true for their children. As television ownership has skyrocketed in the last few decades (from about 0% when the country got independence to 71% today), and as Tagalog has been creeping into other domains, children simply do not have the same kind of exposure to their native tongue that their parents had. The assumption that they will automatically learn it is no longer valid.

              Analyzing the exposure times to different languages, it is not surprising that many children are growing up speaking a mishmash of mostly Tagalog and their native tongue, and are incapable of speaking their mother tongue fluently. And it will just get worse in the next generation unless i) Mothers start passing their native language to their children; ii) The government passes some reforms, and iii) Schools start becoming allies in the preservation of heritage, rather than accomplices in its destruction.
            • dphilfinc
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 13, 2010
                > Almost every new child born in cities nowadays represents another person who will be raised primarily Tagalog-speaking.

                As a Cebuano who has been to Ilocandia just a few times, I can vouch that for a long time now many Ilocano parents have deliberately brought up children as Tagalog speakers in an effort to enhance their employment prospects. The presumption is that they will be better off working in Manila rather than staying in the Ilocos and contributing to the regional economy.

                Obscene as this situation may seem, the fault lies in an abstruse constitution perverted by the Tagalistas. The 1986 constitution of Corazon Aquino was designed to uphold the political and economic supremacy of Manila while undermining the non-Tagalog languages. It used to be that anyone who questioned this direction would become tongue-tied at the mere mention of the word nationalism. Beginning with DILA, I am hoping that one day this word will be permanently removed from the Philippine vocabulary.

                The constitutional provision that provincial languages have auxiliary status was carefully crafted by conspirators from Diliman and La Salle to tie up loose ends in the article on Filipino language. Beyond the statement that Filipino already existed at the time of drafting in 1986, they were intentionally vague as to what it really was. To fool the non-Tagalog commissioners into thinking that it will develop into the amalgam explicitly intended in the 1972 constitution, they inserted the meaningless word evolve. To ensure that Tagalog is the implicit national language, they bestowed the status of auxiliary on our provincial languages. The first order of business should be are we going to decide not to continue being made fools of?

                Benjie
              • dphilfinc
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 28, 2010
                  Firth, this is the last one in your series that we have had the pleasure to read. If possible, can you post the succeeding ones? Thanks. -Benjie

                  Message 8 of 23 , Nov 2, 2010
                    "We have so many dialects in this country. Too much. It's not good," a wealthy businessman told me while drunk at a party.

                    After correcting him about his misuse of the word dialect (the Philippines, contrary to what is commonly taught in schools, has between 120-170 languages, not dialects), I tried thinking of reasons why it might be a good thing to have so many languages. So far in this column I've mostly talked about the threats to Philippine languages, but I haven't really explored why we should be worried about them. So what if the vernaculars die? What use are they anyway? In the next few articles in this series, I'll explore this question. It's a valid debate, and I'll try to present the case for why multilingualism is good for the country.

                    In the nationalistic fervor of the 19th and 20th centuries, numerous countries sought to homogenize language as a way to strengthen national identity. Some Filipinos still assert the same kind of rhetoric—that a National Language is necessary to promote peace and to demonstrate pride for one's citizenship. Times have changed, however, and attitudes towards national identity---at least in other countries---are thankfully softening. As communities learn how to assert themselves and diversify due to migration, strategic governments are becoming more sensitive to diversity in their internal policies.

                    Unity need not be achieved with homogenization, but rather through a communal respect for each other's differences. Even China, the economic power house of Asia often regarded as very nationalistic, recognizes distinct cultural groups within its borders---such as Uyghurs, Zhuang, and Mongols---and encourages the development of their own languages. The Philippine government should provide similar room for its many tongues, to enrich a holistic national identity.

                    We can still have a National Language, but it does not have to be at the expense of minority languages. They can coexist. The more languages we have, the more ways of disseminating information, the more ways of expressing ourselves, and the more ways to learn. Educating children in their mother tongue, especially early in a child's school career, can complement and enhance later learning of Tagalog-based Filipino and English. A pilot test under the Estrada Administration using vernaculars to teach young school children was highly successful, resulting in greater attentiveness, spontaneity, and comprehension. As Philippine languages are all related, any early advances in literacy in one's mother tongue can transfer easily to Tagalog. Later in a child's school career, when education becomes almost exclusively in English and Filipino, the increasingly complex learning of Filipino can have a "washback" effect (Gonzalez 1998), whereby literacy in a child's local language is enhanced as well. This is a perfect example of how Tagalog and the other Philippine languages can co-exist, and even benefit each other.

                    So, as I was saying, diversity is a good thing. If properly treated, it can lead to more unity, not less. On the other hand, it is the suppression of local languages and cultures in the name of "national unity" that may lead to violent conflicts and dissension. This is what happened to former Pakistan, whose rulers wanted Urdu to be the sole and exclusive official language. As a result, the people of East Pakistan, who speak Bangla, rebelled and formed a separate Bangladeshi state.

                    National pride, therefore, should be a deeper celebration of Philippine diversity, not just pride for nationalism's sake. When the Philippines became independent [check], the authorities tried their best to boost national pride, declaring the National Flower, the National Tree, the National Bird, National Fish, and of course, the National Language. But true patriotism is not a simple matter of creating a list of symbols that everyone shall conform to. True patriotism is recognizing the basic truths of your country and celebrating what makes it special. Diversity is one of these things. The Philippines is the 10th most linguistically diverse countries in the world, so clearly it has something that 95% of the world does not. That makes it special. It also means the Philippines has a responsibility to the world to protect its own languages, as one of the world's greatest cradles of human diversity.

                    True patriotism is also recognizing your people for who they are. The reality of this country is that it has many foods, environments, cultures and languages. This is the true Philippines, and the government should recognize it as an asset rather than a burden, a fundamental part of Filipino identity. In fact, the government should do everything in its power to protect these things, and ensure the future is as rich as our past.
                  • bankaw_itomon
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 3, 2010
                      very well said.

                      to be genuinely Filipino the Spanish language should be reinstated as co-official language like before. there can be no unity in substance without that historical first national language of the philippine state ,which is Spanish, brought back to where it should be.

                      we will break apart sooner or later without understanding we also have the hispanic heritage like any latino country. there is no real distinction between hispanized, hispanicized to hispanic other than imaginary degree by using the false paradigm of quantity.

                      the tagalist nationalists who started the cultural vandalism and contradiction, by dehispanizing, basically, deFilipinizing us, out of our cultural heritage will reaped the fruits of its anachronism in the future.

                      diversity is not a bad thing. we have always been ethnic nations. yet there are also things that unite us. spanish is not a dead language. this should go hand and hand with the rest of the Filipino languages.

                      "Filipino" is Tagalog. we dont need a National language based on the dominance of one ethnic group and ideology.

                      i want a return of what a Filipino is. it has nothing to do with mere tagalismo or at the other extreme the tribal fundamentalism of non-tagalog groups against Spanish. Spanish is not a colonial language anymore. it is not impossible to increase spanish speakers in the land where the Filipino was born.

                      even if one day we into account about separate nations the hispanic thread among all lowland christian groups be as visayan or tagalog will never go away.

                      yes, we the Filipinos who are Visayans, Tagalogs, Kapampangan, Bicolano, Ilocano and the rest of the hispanized nations, are also Hispanics!

                      el bancao, bisdak, hispano

                      Message 10 of 23 , Nov 4, 2010
                        The illusion of English. It is often perceived that English is dominating the Philippines' language scene, and threatens to replace the native languages. It is true that English is found in many spheres of Filipino life, especially in business, media, and high levels of government. Indeed, this column has been mostly in English and so is this newspaper. But nevertheless, I think people tend to exaggerate English's prevalence.

                        In written terms, yes, English is everywhere. The most prestigious newspapers are in English. Many street signs, banners, and placards are in English. Most product information, food labels, and health warnings are in English. Most university classes are conducted in English. And the most formal settings are usually in English, such as court, provincial board, and congressional sessions.

                        If you dig a little deeper, however, the penetration of English is rather weak. Filipinos are some of the biggest TV watchers in the world (200 min/day, on average), and the two most-watched channels---GMA 7 and ABS-CBN 3---are mostly in Tagalog. There are many more ads in Tagalog than 30 years ago, and most of the English ads are actually Taglish. While they play a lot of English songs on FM radio here in San Fernando, the host speaks Tagalog about 95% of the time (I once timed it for an entire day). Furthermore, the majority of Filipinos can't afford, don't understand, or don't like the large English broadsheets, so many end up buying the Tagalog-based tabloids like Bulgar and Tiktik. The Asia Research Organization found that only 14% of Filipinos read English broadsheets, and this number is falling. This compares to 38% of the population who read the Tagalog tabloids. Similarly, only 4 out of the 39 magazines printed in Metro Manila are English.

                        In the commercial sector, although most staff greet new customers in English, that's pretty much where it ends. After the first "Hello, good morning sir," you would get many a startled look if you proceeded to ask a question in English. In cinemas, department stores, and restaurants, English is nothing more than the token "Hello" or "Goodbye" at the end of the encounter. The same thing applies to many public events like shows and competitions. The MC will throw in a few English phrases here and there but most of his explanations are in Tagalog or the local language.

                        As for schooling, I have sat in many public classrooms, and even in subjects that are supposed to be taught in English (under the current system which is being phased out), teachers actually speak more Tagalog than English. And in the informal setting of hallways, teachers will often not address their students in English or in the local language, but Tagalog instead. This contrasts to the first half of the 20th century (before 1942) and the 1950s, when all schooling was conducted in English except for the Tagalog subject. This is one of the reasons why elderly Filipinos often have a high command of English.

                        I don't necessarily consider the changing patterns of English vs. Tagalog a bad thing. I'm not an English imperialist and I certainly don't think English is the key to all of Philippine's economic problems. But I just want to point out that most people are exposed to a lot more Tagalog than English or even their mother tongue. When you add up the daily number of hours dedicated to school, television, FM radio, and other sources, the average urban middle-class student in Northern Luzon is exposed to Tagalog about 50% of waking hours, 40% English, and a mere 10% of their local language! Of course this fluctuates significantly depending on the city, the language pattern of the home, and the social habits of the individual, but this estimate should make us wonder how on Earth youth could master their mother tongue if they spend so little time listening to it?! It also surprises me, when I bring up the issue of local language loss, people often say, "Yes, it's a shame families are switching to English." No, they are not! Don't you see the thousands of Ilocano mothers switching to Tagalog? I think to myself. What gives you the idea that English is replacing Ilocano when youth are speaking Tagalog to each other and many can barely speak English?

                        The sad truth of the matter is that the national language may be accomplishing what no colonial language has achieved: the slow eradication of the native Philippine tongues. They can coexist, but unfortunately little political action has been taken to ensure such a future. Ironic that, after centuries of colonial imposition, this independent nation is now the reaper of its own cultural loss.
                      • bankaw_itomon
                        Message 11 of 23 , Nov 4, 2010
                          english is not the dominating medium in the philippines anymore. it is also going the way of the first national language of all the nations which was spanish.

                          the actual count of fluent english speakers is now less than 30,000. wikipedia's ranking is not accurate when it was pegged to 5th.

                          it is inevitable that english will disappear because that was the intent. tagalog is the national language of all the inhabitants of the philippines.

                          government fiat created the demand for tagalog renamed "Filipino" and this cultural shift not only in our institutions but more importantly the media is death by a thousand cuts.

                          our non-tagalog languages for all the efforts in trying to stave off the potential extinction will go the way all minority languages went,
                          and that is, the dominant language of one ethnic group over others will eventually relegate our native languages to irrelevancy.

                          spanish was the first victim. english is next. tomorrow it will be our ancestor's languages. cultural influence is a very powerful tool.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Nov 6, 2010
                            (15th of 18 by Firth.)

                            How did Tagalog become the basis of the national language?

                            I went home and looked the history up. Just out of curiosity.

                            During the Spanish time government bureaucracy was conducted mostly in Spanish. However, given the persistently low level of knowledge of Spanish among the commoners (partly due to the lack of universal education until very late in the Spanish era), many of the Spanish authorities—especially the religious sector—learned Philippine languages. Around their main settlement, Manila, this was Tagalog. But in other parts of the archipelago, they learned the other languages too, which is why families of Spanish descent, like the Ortegas of La Union, can speak Ilokano today.

                            Towards the end of the Spanish era, and again after the Americans left, Filipino leaders were anxious to create a strong national identity, and looked to create symbols of nationality in almost everything—which is why the Philippines now has a national flower, fish, hero, tree, and even a language. But what are the origins of this national language?

                            The first time Tagalog was elevated to the status of a national language—or was attempted to be so—was in 1897. The Revolutionary Constitution of 1897 was drafted in defiance of the Spanish, and although this constitution was never enacted, it listed Tagalog as the national language. Interestingly, all the revolutionary leaders who drafted this constitution were native Tagalog speakers. People from other ethnolinguistic groups—like Warays, Ilokanos, Pangasinenses, etc—were not represented in the assembly.

                            The Malolos Constitution of 1898 was more equitable in making the use of all Philippine languages optional, alongside Spanish for "public authorities and judicial affairs." No Philippine language, like Tagalog, was considered to be any more important than any other. Unfortunately, the Americans arrived shortly thereafter and only recognized English and Spanish. In 1935, the idea of an indigenous national language reemerged. The Constitution of the First Republic instructed the National Assembly to adopt a common national language based on one of the existing ones. The Constitution did not specify which one, but President Quezon had Tagalog in mind.

                            It was not until the Japanese Occupation that the Constitution specifically mentioned Tagalog, and demanded that steps toward the "development and propagation of Tagalog as the national language" be taken. Before the Japanese, Tagalog was only taught in the fourth year of high school, but the Japanese incorporated it into all grade levels. Future constitutions inherited this Tagalog bias (and English), largely to the exclusion of all other languages of the Philippines. The Constitutions of 1946, 1959, 1973, and 1987 made minor changes, such as changing the name from Tagalog to Pilipino to Filipino. But even though the name was changed to make it seem as if the national language were somehow representative of all people, the fact of the matter has not changed: Filipino is merely a politically motivated name for a variation of Tagalog. Nobody can deny that they share the same grammatical rules and vastly similar vocabularies.
                            So, the next time someone tells me, "Oh, but Tagalog-based Filipino is our National Language", I'll remind them that it was the Japanese that first made this a reality. And why would it have been in their interest to make it so? Because a population is much easier to influence and control if they all speak the same language.

                            Furthermore, it helped dissociate the Philippines from the United States, who were Japan's bitter enemies at the time.

                            Many governments in history have sung praises of "unity," but this is often just a euphemism for "Let's all think and talk the way we do in the seat of power (Manila)." Those countries that continue to shy away from preserving their linguistic diversity are still stuck in the World War mentality of "one country, one language." Diversity was seen as inconvenient at best, and a recipe for mutiny at worst. Nations felt it necessary to present unified fronts. As countries today are not as vulnerable to invasion and outright war as last century, they have begun to look inward and notice that:
                            a) Diversity is valuable;
                            b) Trying to make everyone the same makes people less happy, not more;
                            c) We don't all have to think the same way or speak the same language in order to be a strong, proud country. We can preserve the national language alongside the local languages. Some countries even have multiple national languages.

                            Unfortunately, with its lack of government support for non-Tagalog languages and dialects, the Philippines is still stuck in World War II paranoia, when symbolism and uniformity was considered necessary for nation building. It may give lip service to diversity, but the government has yet to truly embrace it.
                          • bankaw_itomon
                            Message 13 of 23 , Nov 6, 2010
                              "We can preserve the national language alongside
                              the local languages. Some countries even have multiple national languages."

                              Benjie,

                              What national language is it that we needed to preserve alongside the local languages? I am not in favor of tagalog or any of its engineered "variants" to continue to be dominant. I would rather have our independent country than be oppressed. I cannot relate to any tagalog variant as a national language just to assuage my Filipino sensibility by default. I am Visaya Filipino. That comes first.

                              Tagalog, however, like any Filipino language should be preserved and revitalized not to us but to the Tagalog regions, as with the case of the non-austronesian based Filipino language of Spanish to all the Philippine christian nations, rather than to the non-christian ones. They can opt out of it if they want. The historical relevance of Spanish to us should never be underestimated. Spanish is also part of our past and without it we will become another fabricated identity like the tagalist. Cultural loss is forever.

                              The other important one is Chavacano de Zamboanga which is also getting inundated with the same problem but this time its Cebuano. Unchecked cultural influence that can change an ethnic groups identity is not a good thing. We should do something about this also.

                              If we need a national language to maintain this fabricated union then I would rather go back to the original Spanish of the first Filipinos that finally encompassed others in the end.

                              Some say its impractical to insist on the revival of Spanish because they claim its too late. I disagree because just like with our non-Tagalog languages culture vis-a-vis language is not difficult to reintroduced and popularized. It is never too late. A more recent example of that truism is Hebrew. So its not impossible.

                              Spanish and Our non-Tagalog languages are already in the 1987 Cory Constitution, which was an amended version of the 1973 Marcos Constitution, ironically. We must resist the temptation to go along with anti-Spanish cligues that have long dominated the discourse to our loss.

                              If we must fight then we must fight for all. Otherwise it makes no sense to believe that we can continue becoming Filipinos when we are no longer defacto one. Its no acceptable to be fake because of renaming.

                              That being said I am trying hard to believe that if we fight for our rights the Vanishing Filipino will not die out. Visayan advocacy is the same fight as the Spanish language revival. I have no issue with bringing back the old status quo of English especially Spanish which should have remained at the forefront in our institutions alongside non-Tagalog languages anyway.

                              Any compromise with the national language issue is not a victory for us but total defeat. Tactical evasion to win a little is the same as losing the war. A foothold should always be viewed as temporary gain because the goal is nationwide. Always.

                              btw. Do I have your permission to copy paste your DILA post at another forum? It is instructional and hopefully it will open wide the door among some who really listens.

                              Bangkaw

                              Message 14 of 23 , Nov 6, 2010
                                --- In DILA@yahoogroups.com, <josepepe> wrote:
                                > Do I have your permission to copy paste your DILA post at another forum? It is instructional

                                The Diversity Shock series of Firth is under publication by the Baguio edition of SunStar as far as I know. Manny posted the first six installments until he asked me to follow through on the next twelve. Firth is actively subscribed to DILA and has not discouraged anyone from sharing his work yet. I am eager to see this compiled in booklet form just like FILIPINO IS NOT OUR LANGUAGE. I do not know how much of a future is left for Chavacano de Zamboanga. Of the last two Chavacanos I have spoken to at length, only one still used it with his family. The other one used Tagalog with hers.

                                Benjie
                              • bankaw_itomon
                                Message 15 of 23 , Nov 6, 2010
                                  oh i see. i thought you authored it until i reread the post and saw firth's byline. well it seems like it is okay to post this part of the series at another forum. so i will do it in a day or two unless this is copyrighted which i hope is not because i dont want to break any rules.

                                  like i wrote it is not impossible to preserve and revitalize a language on the verge of being overwhelmed. we just have to keep at it on many fronts. i know chavacano de zamboanga is in trouble. however its not exactly that dire because the local governments encourage its propagation despite the prevalence of tagalog media. i agree with you that the only way is to ban tagalog to have a fighting chance. the cebuano migrants will eventually speak chavacano because they will have no choice without tagalog as an intermediary between the native and them, the migrants. as it is tagalog is more the killer of chavacano than cebuano.

                                  btw what national language were you referring earlier? was it tagalog?
                                  its okay to address me as Bankaw. it will be a legal name soon as i have already been using it and in the process of changing my name to accomodate it as my second one after jose. there are just too many joses already and i like my visayan alternate.

                                  bangkaw

                                  --- In DILA@yahoogroups.com, "dphilfinc" <bcyp@...> wrote:

                                  > --- In DILA@yahoogroups.com, <josepepe> wrote:
                                  > > Do I have your permission to copy paste your DILA post at another forum? It is instructional
                                  >

                                  > The Diversity Shock series of Firth is under publication by the Baguio edition of SunStar as far as I know. Manny posted the first six installments until he asked me to follow through on the next twelve. Firth is actively subscribed to DILA and has not discouraged anyone from sharing his work yet. I am eager to see this compiled in booklet form just like FILIPINO IS NOT OUR LANGUAGE. I do not know how much of a future is left for Chavacano de Zamboanga. Of the last two Chavacanos I have spoken to at length, only one still used it with his family. The other one used Tagalog with hers.
                                  >
                                  > Benjie

                                • dphilfinc
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Nov 6, 2010
                                    --- In DILA@yahoogroups.com, "bankaw" wrote:
                                    > what national language were you referring earlier? was it tagalog?

                                    Like most of us in DILA, Firth suffers no confusion about the nature of the Filipino national language. It is Tagalog disguised. I have no idea if Hilario Davide still has this confusion inasmuch as he was certainly fooled in 1986.

                                    The current occupant of Palacio Malacanan must think that we Visayans are absolute fools. He is bestowing the highest civilian honor to a comedian who laughingly insulted us "Dugay ka na sa Manila tonto pa gihapon" in 2004.

                                    Benjie

                                    ----------

                                    http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=627779
                                    Dolphy to receive award from Palace

                                    President Aquino will confer the Grand Collar (Maringal na Kuwintas) of the Order of the Golden Heart on comedian Rodolfo Quizon, popularly known as Dolphy, in recognition of his achievements in show business and philanthropy.

                                    Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said that while Quizon would not be given the National Artist Award as some sectors were suggesting, he would be accorded the highest rank for private citizens.

                                    "The last one to receive this was Helen Keller on May 20, 1955. So it's very interesting that the predecessor of Manong Dolphy on this award was Keller," Valte said over radio station dzRB.

                                    The National Artist Award is conferred on a Filipino recognized for his significant contributions to the development of Philippine arts.

                                    Quizon actively campaigned for Sen. Manuel Villar Jr., Mr. Aquino's closest rival in the May 2010 elections.

                                    The award will be conferred on Quizon on Monday in simple rites at the Rizal Ceremonial Hall of Malacañang tomorrow at 2 p.m.

                                    One of Quizon's philanthropic projects is the Dolphy Aid Para sa Pinoy Foundation that gives scholarships to deserving children of overseas Filipino workers.

                                    The Order of the Golden Heart was established in 1954 by the late President Ramon Magsaysay to recognize those who had rendered distinguished services or material aid to improve the condition of the masses.
                                  • dphilfinc
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 6, 2010
                                      (16th of 18 by Firth.)

                                      Why are languages worth preserving?

                                      Languages contain a treasure trove of information. Ancient texts are written in myriad tongues, but if a language becomes truly lost, those texts can become inaccessible to historians, just as Etruscan writings are today or Egyptian hieroglyphics before their decipherment. How can the details of an ancient battle, a political union, a high-profile love affair, or a famine be known if their documentation is in a language we no longer understand? Language is the key to the doorway of history, giving indispensable access to primary sources.

                                      Anthropologists need language, meanwhile, to study both past and present societies. The idiosyncracies of vocabulary and expressions; the differences in verbal and written communication; formal and informal usages; the ritualistic employment of language; the different registers of youth, elders, women, and men--- such language traits reveal wide-ranging characteristics about a society. Characteristics of marriage, the path to adulthood, social hierarchy, perceptions of life and death, relationships between various groups, attitudes on success, and the role of the environment in a society can all be illuminated by the language they use.

                                      Linguists study language to better understand language itself. Why do we speak the way we do today? How do we arrange our words and our sentences? In how many ways can we change a root word to make a new meaning, using suffixes and prefixes? What is the size of our vocabulary? How many languages have influenced our own? Have we borrowed grammatical structures from other languages, or just vocabulary? Which languages of the Philippines are most closely related? Which are furthest apart? Have our languages remained relatively unchanged over the last few hundred years or are they changing rapidly? If so, how and why? What is the future fate of our languages? These are all some of the questions linguists ask, and can help us answer. That is, if our languages survive long enough to offer such an opportunity.

                                      Ecologists often work with linguists to learn new things about the environment. People are products of the environment they grow up in, and develop extensive vocabularies for plants, animals, and natural phenomena within their habitat. While English is a rich language, it can't beat the richness of Tibetan in mountain terminology, or Bedouin Arabic in desert terminology, or Inuktitut for winter terminology. Since languages develop over hundreds of years, they are an accumulation of many generations of acquired knowledge. Observations such as the mating habits of animals, hunting or foraging strategies, sleep patterns, competition with other species, and physiological changes that plants undergo is all information that our ancestors became keenly aware of and incorporated into their vocabularies. By studying native languages in their environmental contexts, ecologists can therefore learn of biological complexities otherwise unknown to modern science. Indigenous knowledge of local ecology may even offer direct benefits to human health, such as antidotes for snake bites, herbal drinks to combat cancer, nuts and root crops that are less fatty, serums that may be used for anaesthesia, etc.

                                      Finally, archaeologists and human evolutionary biologists study languages to unravel the migration patterns of people. It is largely through a study of the similarities and differences of different Pacific languages that researchers were able to determine when and how humans moved across Oceania. Most of the languages of Oceania descend from an ancestral language in Taiwan, whose speakers migrated south into the Philippines about 6000 years ago (Blust 1999). Over time, their language diversified as they spread to the Malay Archipelago, Madagascar, and across the entire Pacific ocean, including Fiji, New Zealand, Vanuatu, French Polynesia, Hawaii, Easter Island, and many other island groups. Being one of the first stops in these migrations, the native Philippine languages (which number between 120-171 and include Aklanon, Maranao, Asi, Itawit, Tausug, Tagalog, Rombolon, and any other "dialect" you can think of), are some of the oldest Austronesian languages: older than this country, older than the countries that colonized us, and older than the Bible. As the "grandfathers" of most Austronesian languages, don't you think we have a particular responsibility in preserving them?

                                      From a scholar's perspective—whether she be a linguist, anthropologist, historian, biologist, geographer, or political scientist—the death of any language is a disaster, as it removes yet one more data point, one more object of academic inquiry, one more piece in the puzzle to understand language evolution and society as a whole. There is still so much research to be done on Philippine languages --- any person involved in the field will asseverate that we have barely scratched the surface. There remains a tremendous amount of information locked up in them. If we let them die, that information will be much harder to uncover, if not impossible.
                                    • bankaw_itomon
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 6, 2010
                                        haha okay. i thought something's amiss. no tagalog national language to be accomodated in the national context other than to the nation of the tagalogs. thats their national language. we have ours.

                                        el bancao

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 9, 2010
                                          (17th of 18 by Firth.)

                                          The Philippines has around 120-171 native languages (such as Ilokano, Itbayaten, Bukidnon, and many more) and 10 foreign language communities (such as Chinese, Korean, Arabic, etc). But some say that it would be better if we all spoke one language, as everyone would understand each other. I disagree. Misunderstanding is primarily a mindset, not a language barrier. I remember when my family lived in Egypt we had a German neighbour who didn't speak a word of English, yet somehow she and my mother carried on a remarkable relationship. They were always warm and embracing of each other, would make baked goods together, go on walks, and through a creative use of body language, intonation, and facial expressions, managed to chat about anything from the health of their children to upcoming travel plans.

                                          We don't all need to speak the same language to relate to one another. The Swiss people have four main language groups, all of which are official: German, French, Italian, and Romansh. Yet they are all proud to be Swiss. Not only that, Switzerland is one of the most peaceful countries in the world, and prides itself on having remained neutral in multiple European wars. Even if you don't believe my claim that language differences can be easily overcome, there is no harm in holding on to your mother tongue in addition to learning whatever language you think is useful for greater communication.

                                          Others say that it would be great if we all spoke one language for the sake of peace and unity. But peace and unity depend more on key social and economic conditions, such as equality of all people under law, fair access to resources, freedom and professionalism of the press, religious tolerance, education quality, economic opportunity, environmental stewardship, land rights, immigration factors, and others -- not necessarily on how few or how many languages a country has. The top 20 most linguistically diverse African countries, for example, contain countries in both the top most peaceful African countries (eg. Mozambique, Zambia, Cameroon, Tanzania) and the least peaceful countries (Chad, Central African Republic, Nigeria, Congo) according to the Global Peace Index. That is to say, linguistic homogeneity is not a prerequisite for peace, because for every unstable diverse country, you can find examples of countries that are both peaceful and diverse.

                                          Similarly, countries with only a few languages can be unstable too. Of the 6 least diverse countries in Africa (based on Greenberg's Diversity Index), 4 are in the bottom 20% least peaceful countries, and one of them---Rwanda---was the setting for one of the worst genocides in the 20th century. It is clear that, if not a cause of inter-ethnic conflict, low diversity is no guarantee for peace. It is erroneous to think, therefore, that we would automatically be a more stable country if we had fewer languages. Instead, a country's ability to effectively manage its linguistic diversity is a more important ingredient for peace, and those countries that have embraced their multiculturalism, respected the rights of minorities, and tried not to dominate one ethnic group over another tend to be much more harmonious.

                                          There are many countries that are both more linguistically diverse than the Philippines and more peaceful. Of the 23 countries that rank higher than the Philippines on Greenberg's Diversity Index (GDI), 21 of them are also more peaceful. This fact can't all be blamed on our economic woes, because many of the 21 countries with higher GPIs and GDIs are in fact poorer than the Philippines. One reason countries like South Africa, India, Vanuatu, and Papua New Guinea are more peaceful, despite being more diverse, might be because they have much more inclusive ethnolinguistic policies, such as recognizing regional languages and using vernaculars in education. The stability of Mozambique and Cameroon, meanwhile, might be attributed to the fact that they made foreign colonial languages the only official ones, thereby not favouring any indigenous group over another. These examples contrast with the Philippines, which does not treat its regional languages officially (even though the Constitution affords them some official status), does not include local languages in education, and has implicitly benefited one language group over all others in the promotion of Tagalog-based Filipino as the sole national language.

                                          Of all the countries for which Global Peace Index (GPI) has been evaluated, the Philippines ranks in the bottom 20%. Many factors go into calculating a country's Global Peace Index, including levels of internal conflict, political instability, level of respect for human rights, violent crime, size of jailed population, etc., but suffice it to say that the Philippines is not a safe place. The propagation of the national language and successive presidents peddling nationalistic rhetoric have not improved the situation.
                                        • dphilfinc
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Nov 11, 2010
                                            (Firth states below that Diversity Shock has more installments. -Benjie)

                                            As we've discussed, linguistic homogeneity is not a prerequisite for harmony. But is the opposite -- linguistic diversity -- outrightly good? In a previous article, I explored this question from an academic perspective. Languages contain a wealth of information that anthropologists use to study societies, biologists to study human evolution, historians to study history, and linguists to study language. Languages are rich scientific resources. But there are other advantages to sustaining linguistic diversity within a country.

                                            This week I'll explore some of the other benefits of having many languages. Francois Grin divides the benefits of multilingualism into four main categories: 1) private market value; 2) private non-market value; 3) social market value, and; 4) social non-market value. These terms are a bit clunky, but to put it more simply: "private" refers to those qualities of multilingualism that mainly benefit the individual; "social" benefits are those for society as a whole; and "market" refers to those benefits that are economically, politically, or otherwise traditionally and concretely advantageous. "Non-market" benefits are those that benefit you in subtle ways, the kinds of things that you might appreciate but which might not be directly marketable for jobs or other people.

                                            For now, let's discuss number one and two, the private values of multilingualism. That is, what are the rewards you, as an individual, may obtain from being able to speak more languages?

                                            If you know many languages, you are likely to have access to a wider choice of jobs, because you will be able to apply yourself in a variety of contexts. I guarantee that, given all else equal, a city government in Ilocos will hire someone who speaks Ilokano, English, and Tagalog over someone who only speaks English and Tagalog, because he will be comfortable in interacting with practically anyone, no matter who enters the office and no matter what language is used. With a wider choice of jobs, you are likely to find a job that suits your interests best, and hence find work more fulfilling. With a wider choice of jobs you are also likely to find one that satisfies you financially. A Swiss study by Grin & Sfreddo (1997) found a correlation between the number of languages people knew and their salaries. When comparing thousands of people with different linguistic abilities and job positions, every additional language known results in an average increase of 4-20% in net earnings. If you speak more languages, it indicates to companies that you are adaptable, smart, eager to learn, and culturally aware, which is why multilingual people tend to get the juicier jobs.

                                            Multilingual people also have access to lower prices and better access to information. This fact didn't seem obvious to me when I first read it, but it makes sense. When I go into the market and speak the local language, vendors treat me like a local, and give me local prices. The same thing for services too. A few weeks ago my foreign friends went to a launderette, where they were told they had to pay 50% extra if they wanted their clothes ready by the next day. To see if they were being ripped off, I went in the same day with my laundry. I asked them in Iloko, "Mabalin nga agsubliak tuno bigat?" They said yes, I could pick up the laundry tomorrow, and made no mention of a 50% surcharge! While you may disagree with the practice of charging different customers different amounts, it's a universal trait. In Mexico, India, Nepal, Cambodia, Egypt, and every other country I've been to, shopping is easier in the local language. There's an immediate familiarity and rapport established between shopper and buyer, usually deflating the need or desire for hostile bargaining. There's also the element of respect. By attempting to speak in the other person's language, you are showing that person respect. You are not forcing the person to operate on a level that behooves you, but instead are willing to swallow your pride and interact on their terms. I think one of the reasons people from Manila and foreigners rarely learn local vernaculars, despite years of living in the regions, is that they don't like the feeling of sounding stupid or not being able to communicate properly. It's difficult to start learning a language from scratch, so outsiders just stick to what they're most comfortable with – English or Tagalog. The fact that these two languages are so widely understood makes it especially easy to avoid learning the local language, but what people don't often realize are the smiles, the helpful tips, the discounts, and the stronger friendships that they miss out on.

                                            I was going to try to fit all the benefits of knowing more languages in this one article, but alas, there are more to tell. Till next week. And in the meantime, hold onto your languages!