Introduction/Group Picture

  • Esteban Pedreros
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 11, 2005
      Hello All

      I'm Esteban Pedreros A.K.A "wallyoeste", I'm from Chile and I'm a huge
      DC Fan. I collect Flash, Green Lantern, Nightwing, Legion of Super-
      Heroes, JSA and Manhunter, my favorite characters are Flash, Martian
      Manhunter and Nightwing, in that order.

      I look forward to participate in this group and I must say that what
      caught my atention is that cover that you have for this group that
      features what seems to be a showdown between MM and the evil MM. I see
      Ronnie on the cover so it must be a comic from late 70's or the
      beginning of the 80's, but I'd like to know more about it... can you
      help me?

      Esteban
    • John Griffin
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 13, 2005
        Welcome to the list, Esteban! It's great to hear from comics fans around the
        world. Is the distribution there normal or do you get your books later than
        Americans? Are there any native Chilean or S.A. Superhero books? Do you get
        your books in English or Spanish?

        I don't know much about the JLA cover but here's what I was able to find.
        Probably the list owner has better info.

        - Jon

        JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #230
        SEP 84

        "War of the Worlds 1984 Part III: Blessed is the Peacemaker"
        The final chapter of the Earth-Mars War leaves a ravaged satellite
        headquarters and sets the stage for a new Justice League Era..
        (Conway/A. Kupperburg/Marcos; cover by Patton/Giordano)
        Villains: Bel Juz, The Marshal

        On 8/12/05 12:43 AM, "Esteban Pedreros" <wallyoeste@...> wrote:

        > Hello All
        >
        > I'm Esteban Pedreros A.K.A "wallyoeste", I'm from Chile and I'm a huge
        > DC Fan. I collect Flash, Green Lantern, Nightwing, Legion of Super-
        > Heroes, JSA and Manhunter, my favorite characters are Flash, Martian
        > Manhunter and Nightwing, in that order.
        >
        > I look forward to participate in this group and I must say that what
        > caught my atention is that cover that you have for this group that
        > features what seems to be a showdown between MM and the evil MM. I see
        > Ronnie on the cover so it must be a comic from late 70's or the
        > beginning of the 80's, but I'd like to know more about it... can you
        > help me?
        >

        > Esteban
      • Esteban Pedreros
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 13, 2005
          Thanks for the welcoming

          Well, let's see. I'm 24 years old and I started collecting comics 12 or 13 years ago, back then I got mine from Argentina and Mexico, and a little later from spain.
          Mexican and Argentinian comics appeared regularly in your friendly newspaper stand, for the spanish edition you had to do a little search but there were plenty of places to get them....

          and there it came the time when Zinco (spain) and Perfil (argentina) just dissapeared from the market... I had to buy comics from Vid and later from another publisher from spain (Norma), but eventually I got tired of them all because I was never satisfied by their translations or the quality of impresions , etc. so I decided to buy them on Internet...

          After a period of learning and a few deceptions I managed to pick my favorite comics in their original version every two months with a friend... we are four guys who order their comics to the USA and get them a little overpriced once we gather a 100 bucks of comics.
          Every once in a while I also buy backissues from some internet stores and currently there is another Publisher from Argentina publishing comics from DC called "Sticker Desing" they have Batman:Hush, Superman: Birthright, Superman & Batman, Batman: Broken City (in a TPB), Identity Crisis (Published under the JLA label), and they'll publish Green Lantern from Rebirth... I'm not buying those editions but I have seem them and they are ok.

          As for the Chilean Industry... well it's pretty much dead, there have been some attemps toward rebuilding the chilean industry but they are either parodies of USA bloskbuster movies, or superheroes who look too much like your everyday USA new-copycat-image-attemp-of-publisher superhero... there are some very talented guys of course, but they don't get the chance to see their material published here, you gotta understand that if a 240 million market (yours) has some problems, a non existant regular market for a country with 15 million people is a very difficult thing to build.

          Esteban

        • LSW092752@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 21, 2005
            I am 52 years old. There is a picture my mom has of me holding an issue of Superboy when I was aroung 4 years old. That would be 1956. Imagine the value of that book today if I had it. I have collected Dcs all my life. I don't really collect today, altho i still read. I sold my collection in 1990. It was an almost complete run of nearly every DC title from 1960-1990, over 10000 books. Wish I had them today. I made a little money, but I wonder what I might have made thru EBay today. Of course there was no EBay at the time.
          • Esteban Pedreros
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 21, 2005
              and I tought I had some things to regret in my life... lol :-)

              Esteban