Re: [DCU] Man Of Steel...

  • randolph carsten
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 18, 2013
      thanks guy! nice not to get told to go back to my bed in the Old Fools Home! got ask have you noticed the similarities between the DC titles of the last few years and those of the old EC comics of the fifties?

      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 18, 2013
         I am familiar with the issue and it marked the beging of the character's decline.
        sorry but I do have to say that I am a pre-crisis fan and was not impressed with the post crisis setting.

        I don't deny that was a total surprise that I wasn't happy with either but it has happened before in an issue of a comic book.

        See here - http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/14/hero-worship-the-complexity-of-man-of-steel

        (it's down the page)

        On Jun 18, 2013, at 7:23 AM, randolph carsten wrote:

        > he may not have, but the WRTER did! HE had the choice to eaither uphold this tradtional CORE fsacet of the charater or not and he..chose..not to. it is that black and white.

      • Jonathan Reiter
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 18, 2013
          Yup. And not in a nice way, either... I guess the CCA was good for some things, after all...

          thanks guy! nice not to get told to go back to my bed in the Old Fools Home! got ask have you noticed the similarities between the DC titles of the last few years and those of the old EC comics of the fifties?

          I will agree with you on that... I still think that the optimism and hope should be there, because that is what the symbol on Supes’s chest means, to Kryptonians... We’re past the Silver and Bronze ages, for better or worse. I think that’s how we should be. BUT we should go back to embracing the wide eyed optimism of the Silver And Bronze Ages of Comics.

          here is a point wheare we probably should agree to disagree. that is another example the lacklustermishandling of their characters and of how DC has been turning away from long established charater concepets for the sake of exipidancy, the DC universe used to be a brighter more hopeful place, NOT merely "the real world only with supers" but a place that was BETTER because of them. their embraceing grim realisism is the root cause of many of the companies woes over the last 25 years as it undemines the supspension of disbelief that alowed their major characters to excelle.
          instead they tried to mimic Marvles style which is a poor fit at best for most of these characters.
          ah well merely my opipnos and yes I am old fashioned and out of touch,
          but hey your opions are just as valid and if you like the new takes on the characters that is great! oh and thankyou for being more respectful than some of the youngsters have been over the years!

          --- In mailto:DC_Comics_Uncensored%40yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan Reiter" <jmrmpd@...> wrote:

          > Wonder Woman killed Max Lord that way... And sheâs still being a heroine and ambassador of her people to the outside world...
          > Jonathan Michael Reiter
          > jmr

        • randolph carsten
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 18, 2013
            and how all the major talents that were saying "oh we don't need any out side agency we casn police our selves just fine!" have gotten AWFULLY quiet.
            ah well gusse we'll just have to wait for the next Fredric Wertham
            to get them to clean up their act! the company certinly dose not listen to us.
            sour grape I know but still.

            Yup. And not in a nice way, either... I guess the CCA was good for some things, after all...

            thanks guy! nice not to get told to go back to my bed in the Old Fools Home! got ask have you noticed the similarities between the DC titles of the last few years and those of the old EC comics of the fifties?

            I will agree with you on that... I still think that the optimism and hope should be there, because that is what the symbol on Supes’s chest means, to Kryptonians... We’re past the Silver and Bronze ages, for better or worse. I think that’s how we should be. BUT we should go back to embracing the wide eyed optimism of the Silver And Bronze Ages of Comics.

            here is a point wheare we probably should agree to disagree. that is another example the lacklustermishandling of their characters and of how DC has been turning away from long established charater concepets for the sake of exipidancy, the DC universe used to be a brighter more hopeful place, NOT merely "the real world only with supers" but a place that was BETTER because of them. their embraceing grim realisism is the root cause of many of the companies woes over the last 25 years as it undemines the supspension of disbelief that alowed their major characters to excelle.
            instead they tried to mimic Marvles style which is a poor fit at best for most of these characters.
            ah well merely my opipnos and yes I am old fashioned and out of touch,
            but hey your opions are just as valid and if you like the new takes on the characters that is great! oh and thankyou for being more respectful than some of the youngsters have been over the years!

            --- In mailto:DC_Comics_Uncensored%40yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan Reiter" <jmrmpd@...> wrote:

            > Wonder Woman killed Max Lord that way... And sheâs still being a heroine and ambassador of her people to the outside world...
            > Jonathan Michael Reiter
            > jmr

          • Kent P
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 18, 2013
              Saw it again today, in IMAX. I personally think it is a very good movie. I understand the complaints some have, but I believe the merits of the movie far outweigh the negativity that is being heaped. As someone else stated; see it for yourself and make your own call instead of relying on what others saw (and fixated upon).

              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 18, 2013
                As this is perhaps the first of a new sequence of stories about this character, a sequence which is beginning at a point when he's relatively untested, dealing with an issue of planetary importance, why don't we accept that a young man, faced with a kill-or-be-killed battle, had to kill, and was so repulsed that he vows to never do it again...

                -feigy-
              • Jonathan Reiter
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 18, 2013
                  Now, that’s THINKING!!!!!!!!
                  Way to go, Figtree88

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 18, 2013
                    point!

                    As this is perhaps the first of a new sequence of stories about this character, a sequence which is beginning at a point when he's relatively untested, dealing with an issue of planetary importance, why don't we accept that a young man, faced with a kill-or-be-killed battle, had to kill, and was so repulsed that he vows to never do it again...

                    -feigy-

                  • Vonnair Goggins Sr
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 18, 2013
                      He killed because the needs of the many outweighed the needs of the few...or the one.

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 18, 2013
                        And on the note of needs, he did kill before.  Doomsday.

                        ________________________________
                        Obviously not. But, still... This movie was way better than Superman Returns...

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 18, 2013
                          You’re welcome. I’ve been a fan of DC and Marvel(!?) over the years... Yeah, I saw that look. You know, the confused one.
                          I just like them because I can’t get enough of their respective product...

                          here is a point wheare we probably should agree to disagree. that is another example the lacklustermishandling of their characters and of how DC has been turning away from long established charater concepets for the sake of exipidancy, the DC universe used to be a brighter more hopeful place, NOT merely "the real world only with supers" but a place that was BETTER because of them. their embraceing grim realisism is the root cause of many of the companies woes over the last 25 years as it undemines the supspension of disbelief that alowed their major characters to excelle.
                          instead they tried to mimic Marvles style which is a poor fit at best for most of these characters.
                          ah well merely my opipnos and yes I am old fashioned and out of touch,
                          but hey your opions are just as valid and if you like the new takes on the characters that is great! oh and thankyou for being more respectful than some of the youngsters have been over the years!

                          --- In mailto:DC_Comics_Uncensored%40yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan Reiter" <jmrmpd@...> wrote:

                          > Wonder Woman killed Max Lord that way... And she’s still being a heroine and ambassador of her people to the outside world...
                          > Jonathan Michael Reiter
                          > jmr

                        • Greg Ramirez
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 18, 2013
                            That's what I told someone else in another comments section.  They were all saying, "Superman doesn't kill".  Superman wouldn't kill humans, and this is where he could adopt the no kill policy.  Some people actually felt that Kal could have blocked Zod's heat vision or turned his head.  It does look like the beginning of Supes adventures.  He got a new job at the Planet, he's wearing the glasses, etc.  I want to go see it again.  I'm also in love with Henry Cavill now.

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 18, 2013
                              no confused look I used to be too, particularly when the two balanced one another, if you were in the mood for realisim you picked up a Marvle title... esapeisim a DC.
                              after the crisis it just became more of the same. acttualy I stopped buying Marvle when they killed Captian America. just some things you just shouldnt DO, bring him back or not.

                              You’re welcome. I’ve been a fan of DC and Marvel(!?) over the years... Yeah, I saw that look. You know, the confused one.
                              I just like them because I can’t get enough of their respective product...

                              here is a point wheare we probably should agree to disagree. that is another example the lacklustermishandling of their characters and of how DC has been turning away from long established charater concepets for the sake of exipidancy, the DC universe used to be a brighter more hopeful place, NOT merely "the real world only with supers" but a place that was BETTER because of them. their embraceing grim realisism is the root cause of many of the companies woes over the last 25 years as it undemines the supspension of disbelief that alowed their major characters to excelle.
                              instead they tried to mimic Marvles style which is a poor fit at best for most of these characters.
                              ah well merely my opipnos and yes I am old fashioned and out of touch,
                              but hey your opions are just as valid and if you like the new takes on the characters that is great! oh and thankyou for being more respectful than some of the youngsters have been over the years!

                              --- In mailto:DC_Comics_Uncensored%40yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan Reiter" <jmrmpd@...> wrote:

                              > Wonder Woman killed Max Lord that way... And sheâs still being a heroine and ambassador of her people to the outside world...
                              > Jonathan Michael Reiter
                              > jmr

                            • Jonathan Reiter
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 19, 2013
                                Yup!

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 19, 2013
                                  Aaaand Yup!

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                                    I've seen it twice in 2 different theaters, and I'll be seeing it more than 3 times each time in a different theater. Then after I've seen it in all theaters in the City I live in I'll start over the movie theater that I first saw Man of Steel at.

                                    It has the most intense action, you understand both the hero and the villain, Krypton looks topnotch, so do the fights plus the heat vision and flying, damage from heat vision looks intantaneous.

                                    As for SUperman putting his hand over Zod's face when using Heat vision either he burns his hand, or a explosion happens that likely destroys a large portion of the Building.