Re: [DCU] Re: Before Watchmen writer Brian Azzarello | Interview outtakes

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 19, 2012
      Ed,
      I imagine you're actually replying to where I wrote"I notice he doesn't mention how Jack Kirby felt about the way DC treated him and his creations.  Very circumspect.  I guess that's a good idea, don't jeopardize a paycheck."  I think DC now holds up their allowances for Siegel and Shuster as good PR.  They don't mention that it was Neal Adams' holding them up to public ridicule that basically blackmailed them into paying them.  I agree with you that Alan Moore hasn't made it any easier to supports his complaints.  Neither of these issues have to do with Brian Azzarello's attitude.  What may have something to do with it is what Dan Didio said to him.  I can easily imagine Dan encouraging Brian to throw the baby out with the bath water.
      Thanks,

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 20, 2012
        Darci:
        > I imagine you're actually replying to where I wrote "I notice he doesn't mention how Jack Kirby felt about the way DC treated him and his creations. Very circumspect. I guess that's a good idea, don't jeopardize a paycheck."

        Azzarello was asked about Moore specifically. He brought Siegel & Shuster into the conversation and said that he was more sympathetic to their situation than Moore's. I didn't read that as being an apologist for DC on the S&S issue, Kirby's issues or creator rights in general.

        As Moore has dismissed the work of every writer currently working in comics irregardless of the company they work for, I don't blame Azzarello for being unsympathetic towards Moore. Moore set himself up for that one.

        To what degree Azzarello is protecting a paycheque, hard to say.

        A lot of current writers have done well and enjoy rights because of what Kirby et al went through and the negotiations & concessions that happened over the years as a result. Certainly, current creators owe a huge debt to them.