Re: Did the Green Lantern Movie Discourge DC from Making other Non B

  • Edward Bebee
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 14, 2012
      Lexi sez:
      >DC really needs to step it up. They have enough potential to do a great, new origin/introductory movie for all of its standard members of JLA, JLI, and even JLU - either the "Batman Beyond", or the "JLU"
      series.

      DC has huge potential but I think it's tougher for them to realize it.

      Marvel, pre-Disney, formed their own production company so they could have movies that don't suck -- ok, both FF films sucked and Sony has the rights to Spider-Man but overall Marvel is doing pretty well re: putting together good films.

      DC has to deal with the WB mothership which, as I understand it, doesn't have a lot of love & respect for comics. Geoff Johns was on the GL movie but he didn't have the influence to save it. Getting shows on the Cartoon Network should be a no-brainer but CN doesn't particularly want DC shows.

      After the current Batman movie, does DC even have anything confirmed coming up as a movie?

      WB needs to restructure before any of this will change but that's a larger issue.

      --> ejb
    • Greg Ramirez
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 14, 2012
        Man of Steel comes out in 2013.

        ________________________________
        >DC really needs to step it up. They have enough potential to do a great, new origin/introductory movie for all of its standard members of JLA, JLI, and even JLU - either the "Batman Beyond", or the "JLU"
        series.

        DC has huge potential but I think it's tougher for them to realize it.

        Marvel, pre-Disney, formed their own production company so they could have movies that don't suck -- ok, both FF films sucked and Sony has the rights to Spider-Man but overall Marvel is doing pretty well re: putting together good films.

        DC has to deal with the WB mothership which, as I understand it, doesn't have a lot of love & respect for comics. Geoff Johns was on the GL movie but he didn't have the influence to save it. Getting shows on the Cartoon Network should be a no-brainer but CN doesn't particularly want DC shows.

        After the current Batman movie, does DC even have anything confirmed coming up as a movie?

        WB needs to restructure before any of this will change but that's a larger issue.

        --> ejb

      • Alexisandra Phaithe
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 15, 2012
          What about Aquaman?  Hmm...can we say "environmentalist theme"?!

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 15, 2012
            Can you say "The character is still a joke to the general, non-comic book reading audience"?

            Anybody remember how badly he was used in that Subway mini-comic insert from about a year or two ago?

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 16, 2012
              Supposedly DC's had a wake-up call - they're going ahead with GL2, and a slew of individual character movies, in addition to the recent/fairly recent Batman/Superman movies.

              Oh please oh please!!  Plastic Man!!  Make a Plastic Man move starring Jim Carrey - with a cameo by Conan O'Brien as The Elongated Man

              :D

              actually, that could be kewl.

              anything but Moonknight or Foolkiller, ok?

              -Lexi

              ________________________________
              >DC really needs to step it up. They have enough potential to do a great, new origin/introductory movie for all of its standard members of JLA, JLI, and even JLU - either the "Batman Beyond", or the "JLU"
              series.

              DC has huge potential but I think it's tougher for them to realize it.

              Marvel, pre-Disney, formed their own production company so they could have movies that don't suck -- ok, both FF films sucked and Sony has the rights to Spider-Man but overall Marvel is doing pretty well re: putting together good films.

              DC has to deal with the WB mothership which, as I understand it, doesn't have a lot of love & respect for comics. Geoff Johns was on the GL movie but he didn't have the influence to save it. Getting shows on the Cartoon Network should be a no-brainer but CN doesn't particularly want DC shows.

              After the current Batman movie, does DC even have anything confirmed coming up as a movie?

              WB needs to restructure before any of this will change but that's a larger issue.

              --> ejb

            • David McMahon
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 16, 2012
                Personally, I think the Vigilante would make a great movie or TV series
                along the lines of Justified. Get a young country singer who can act
                and put him in the role of Greg Sanders .....

                On 6/16/2012 3:12 PM, Alexisandra Phaithe wrote:

                > Supposedly DC's had a wake-up call - they're going ahead with GL2, and
                > a slew of individual character movies, in addition to the
                > recent/fairly recent Batman/Superman movies.
                >
                > Oh please oh please!! Plastic Man!! Make a Plastic Man move starring
                > Jim Carrey - with a cameo by Conan O'Brien as The Elongated Man
                >
                > :D
                >
                > actually, that could be kewl.
                >
                > anything but Moonknight or Foolkiller, ok?
                >
                > -Lexi
                >
                > ________________________________
                > From: Edward Bebee <ejb@...

              • superherostore
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 17, 2012
                  I think the trouble with Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman etc is they're too bright. Batman, the X-Men, Hulk, Spidey. They're full of problems. The cinema is so dark, you struggle to find your seat. With his costume, I'm not sure Flash could be anything other than a feel good superhero. Nothing wrong with that but it struggles to be a blockbuster.

                  Of course, they could make it full of troubles, like Captain America (who had the same 'too showy for live action' problem). Maybe when Iris died? Mind you, Barry Allen got over that pretty quickly in the comics.

                  Jay Garrick's Flash could have maybe worked but given anything remotely left of mainstream (JSA, Shazam, Captain Atom) has been altered beyond interest, I can't see that now.

                  For GL, they introduced the whole cast too quickly. It should have been an adventure with a guy trying to control his magic ring, then ending with a snap of Sinestro, or being called to Oa to meet the Guardians/Corp for the first time. It was just too busy. We're starting is #0, not #10 in film terms.

                  What I think would be incredible would be New Gods. Imagine it: Star Wars but with super-powers (more than Jedi jumps) and sequences on Earth and space. That would make a great trilogy.
                • Alexisandra Phaithe
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 17, 2012
                    If I remember correctly, wasn't the Golden Age Flash just a re-telling, somewhat, of tales of the god Hermes/Mercury?!

                    therefore, isn't Jay Garrick's Falsh also an alteration of the ultimate original - check out the other example in "Marvel's The Incredile Dr. Banner & Mr. Hulk"

                    :D

                    good point about GL: The Movie.  :)

                    As for "Super Star Wars: ' Super Force, Super Jedii'" - something similiar is indicated in "The New Jedi Order" series of SW novels.  In that the jedii start to develop a new weapon - a new way to manipulate the force - and they answer the question as to why the positive side of the force can't produce energy shielding or something that ca protect then from force lightening - I'm hoping it'll be force cake....!

                    - Lexi