Re: Captain Atom vs Silver Surfer

    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 10, 2012
      Nobody is not a option.
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 10, 2012
        Does anybody know what day it's on, and what time?
      • vaughn walker
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 11, 2012
          I'm wondering what the reaction is to the recent change in WW's history in that she is no longer made of Clay and magic, but just another product of a dalliance between Hypolita and Zeus? I think it's a HUGE devaluing of the character since a large part of her appeal has to do with her magic based-otherworldliness. This also negates SO many factors in her history!
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 11, 2012
            OTOH, I recall a time prior to the retcon that Diana's origin echoed the one in Ovid's Metamorphosis, etc.  I never liked the retcon, and am glad to see it gone.  I'd have picked another father besides Zeus, however.  He has too many illegitimate offspring, as you note.
            Thanks,

            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 11, 2012
              Jason,
              Per http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/green-lantern/index.html%c2%a0it's not scheduled yet.
              Hope this helps,

              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 11, 2012
                IS it gone? I saw it in the recent issues of WW, where the Amazons were all turned to Snakes and Hypolita was turned to stone! I thought these were the first issues of the "new" launch!

                > retcon that Diana's origin echoed the one in Ovid's
                > Metamorphosis, etc.  I never liked the retcon, and am glad
                > to see it gone.  I'd have picked another father besides
                > Zeus, however.  He has too many illegitimate offspring, as
                > you note.
                > Thanks,
                > Darci
                >

                > ________________________________

              • David McMahon
                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 11, 2012
                  Guess that means she doesn't lose all her powers when her wrists are
                  bound by a man, like all Amazons did. Oh wait! They got rid of that
                  bit a long time ago! So now Wonder Girl/Cassie is her half sister? Or
                  does Cassie not exist anymore? And what about Donna Troy? Another half
                  sister or is she the daughter of Hera and some human male that she used
                  to get back at Zeus?

                  On 1/11/2012 11:19 AM, vaughn walker wrote:

                  > I'm wondering what the reaction is to the recent change in WW's
                  > history in that she is no longer made of Clay and magic, but just
                  > another product of a dalliance between Hypolita and Zeus? I think it's
                  > a HUGE devaluing of the character since a large part of her appeal has
                  > to do with her magic based-otherworldliness. This also negates SO many
                  > factors in her history!

                • vaughn walker
                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 11, 2012
                    Hence my point.....

                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 11, 2012
                      Cassie is in the DCnU Teen Titans but doesn't want to be called Wonder Girl . . . her past history in this new universe hasn't been defined yet, nor have we seen any family for her.

                      Donna Troy is M.I.A. in the DCnU . . . no sign she ever existed in the new universe so far.

                      --- In DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, David McMahon <dmcmahon@...> wrote:

                      Guess that means she doesn't lose all her powers when her wrists are bound by a man, like all Amazons did. Oh wait! They got rid of that bit a long time ago! So now Wonder Girl/Cassie is her half sister? Or does Cassie not exist anymore? And what about Donna Troy? Another half sister or is she the daughter of Hera and some human male that she used to get back at Zeus?
                    • Steve Sierran
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 13, 2012
                        I thought I read somewhere along the way that Donna was a character that
                        simply 'no longer fit' in the new DC and would be one of the victims of the
                        new 52 - meaning no more original Wonder Girl, Troia... etc. Seems a shame
                        to just throw away a character with such history, complexity and a
                        significant fan base, but ... that's the new DC.

                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 31, 2013
                          How is nobody a answer are you saying its a stalemate?
                          --- In DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <nightavenger25@...> wrote:

                          > Who do you think wins in this fight?

                        • Brian Addis
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 21, 2014
                            Just to be fair, I would need to review my old Who's Who so as to refresh myself w/ Captain Atom's powers.  Of course that's assuming his modern version holds a reasonable similarity to that of the mid-'80s when I was a kid buying Who's Who.  But all that aside for the moment, my gut instinct would give an edge to the Silver Surfer.

                            Sent from my iPhone

                            On Oct 31, 2013, at 6:39 PM, "Jason" <nightavenger25@...> wrote:

                            How is nobody a answer are you saying its a stalemate?
                            --- In DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "Jason" <nightavenger25@...> wrote:

                            > Who do you think wins in this fight?

                          • Edward Bebee
                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 22, 2014
                              Brian sez:
                              >Captain Atom's powers. Of course that's assuming his modern version holds a reasonable similarity to that of the mid-'80s

                              I've only read one issue of the N52 Captain Atom and his powers seem a lot more abstract now. At first glance, he might be more powerful than the Surfer.

                              --> e
                            • Henrique (Henri-EL)
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jan 22, 2014
                                and.........  Game Over!!!!!!

                                --
                                A.F.E.R.J.
                                Academia da Frota Estelar Rio de Janeiro

                                -Somar os fãs de Jornada nas Estrelas;
                                -Diminuir distâncias;
                                -Multiplicar diversão, cultura e amizade;
                                -Dividir e compartilhar informações;
                                -Sempre em frente divulgando Star Trek;
                                -Levando a bandeira da Federação dos Planetas Unidos "Aonde Ninguém Jamais Esteve".
                              • Brian Addis
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jan 22, 2014
                                  That might very well be the case.  I have read precious few of the N52.  I quit buying comics back in the '90s and have just recently started getting back into them.  That's why I conditioned my earlier response.

                                  In any case, are any of you familiar w/ a Marvel group like this?

                                  Sent from my iPhone

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jan 22, 2014
                                     i d think

                                    2014/1/22 Edward Bebee <ejb@...>

                                    Brian sez:
                                    >Captain Atom's powers. Of course that's assuming his modern version holds a reasonable similarity to that of the mid-'80s

                                    I've only read one issue of the N52 Captain Atom and his powers seem a lot more abstract now. At first glance, he might be more powerful than the Surfer.

                                    A.F.E.R.J.
                                    Academia da Frota Estelar Rio de Janeiro
                                    www.aferj.adm.br

                                    -Somar os fãs de Jornada nas Estrelas;
                                    -Diminuir distâncias;
                                    -Multiplicar diversão, cultura e amizade;
                                    -Dividir e compartilhar informações;
                                    -Sempre em frente divulgando Star Trek;
                                    -Levando a bandeira da Federação dos Planetas Unidos "Aonde Ninguém Jamais Esteve".
                                  • superherostore
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jan 23, 2014

                                      I wrote a blog post about Cap Atom's ever-changing character.  It's funny how he used to be the basis for Dr Manhattan, now Captain Atom has now more in common with Dr Manhattan than the original Captain Adam.

                                      http://starscapesays.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/the-brave-bold-captain-atom.html

                                      STARSCAPE

                                      http://StarscapeOnline.com/

                                      comics, cartoons, music and movies

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jan 26, 2014
                                        --- In DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, Edward Bebee <ejb@...> wrote:

                                        > Brian sez:
                                        > >Captain Atom's powers. Of course that's assuming his modern version holds a reasonable similarity to that of the mid-'80s
                                        >
                                        > I've only read one issue of the N52 Captain Atom and his powers seem a lot more abstract now. At first glance, he might be more powerful than the Surfer.
                                        >
                                        > --> e

                                        What does abstract mean for this post?
                                      • Edward Bebee
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jan 27, 2014
                                          Jason sez:
                                          >What does abstract mean for this post?

                                                  As I understand it, the N52 Captain Atom exists in a super position in spacetime. So he can be many places at once and have conversations with his past & future selves who also exist in the present moment as normal people define "the present moment".

                                                  So if even if the Surfer could beat one instance of Captain Atom, Atom can out number him or even sucker-punch the Surfer before the fight even starts because he can see that it is going to start and just pre-empt everything.

                                          --> e

                                          I said:
                                          > I've only read one issue of the N52 Captain Atom and his powers seem a lot more abstract now. At first glance, he might be more powerful than the Surfer.
                                          >
                                          > --> e

                                        • Jason Case
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jun 22, 2014
                                            So basically where your saying is captain is a multiple place individual making him damn hard to beat?
                                          • Edward Bebee
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jun 23, 2014
                                              Jason sez:
                                              >So basically where your saying is captain is a multiple place individual making him damn hard to beat?
                                              Yes.  He also seems to have some ability to move through time although in the issue I read, it wasn't clear he had any control over that.

                                              --> e

                                            • nightavenger25
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Aug 30, 2015
                                                So what you are telling me is that Captain Atom has unlimited time travel along with able to see what could happen before it happens to avoid a negative outcome.
                                                So if he wanted to he could go back all the way to the Ice Age of Sabertooth Tigers, and Cave men?
                                              • Edward Bebee
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Aug 31, 2015
                                                  So what you are telling me is that Captain Atom has unlimited time travel along with able to see what could happen before it happens to avoid a negative outcome.
                                                  So if he wanted to he could go back all the way to the Ice Age of Sabertooth Tigers, and Cave men?

                                                  On a side note, there are rumours of a new Captain Atom series. All things being equal, he’ll be rebooted so who knows what his powers will be.

                                                  --> e
                                                  (if the series turns out to be Al Pratt in the military circa WW2, DC has a shot of getting my money but somehow, I don’t think that’s in the cards :) )