Re: [Marvel_Comics_Universe] Comic story of the year?

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 17, 2010
      I'm going to continue to harp on a topic I've raised previously: the
      cancellation of Marvel's female-led titles. Ms Marvel Vol2, cancelled at #50
      (April 2010). Black Widow (Vol6 ?), cancelled at #8 (cover-dated Jan 2011, but
      it was out Nov 24th), and Hawkeye and Mockingbird, cancelled at #6 (cover-dated
      Jan 2011, but it was out Nov 3rd). I think that only leaves the new Spider-Girl
      series? X-23 (or is that a limited series)?

      Another topic might be DC's failure, yet again, to successfully work with
      another company's characters. Just like they failed with Quality's Blackhawks,
      Fawcett's Captain Marvel, and Charlton's action heroes, it looks like they've
      destroyed interest in revivals of Archie's Mighty Crusaders and Tower Comics'
      T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents. Is that some kind of record, wiping out two company's
      characters in one year?

      My third pick turned out to be more of a non-event: JMS taking over Superman
      and Wonder Woman, then dropping them both after 4 issues. Stracynski taking on
      those two titles definitely generated the most news in the mainstream press.
      Thanks,

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 30, 2010
        There has always been problems with female character depictions, from weak and frail and always having to be rescued, to they can only be tough if they are telling off a guy. This goes all the way back to feminist characters like Ms. Marvel when she first appeared.

        I think the first two big women, Wonder Woman and Sue Richards, must stand as what has been wrong with female depictions for all eternity in comic books.

        Now Im not familiar with Wonder Woman, but what covers I have seen, she isn't limited to just fighting other women, nor did she have to take a tough feminist attitude in her adventures either (she never had to on Superfriends, even with an amazon story once, which really was interesting. The amazon was controlling all Earth women, and the guys had to rescue WW and Jayna)

        But Sue Richards is without a doubt the poster child of why comic book writers shouldn't write female characters until they can show they have some concept of what to write.

        The Invisible Woman has gone from 'help me, Reed' to being pregnant (the pinnacle of her weakness) to helplessness to actually proving herself for a while in there (with the Nicholas Scratch story) to suddenly 'Reed, help me' to cradling infant Franklin Storm to a pathetic catfight with Crystal to her ultimate nadir, wearing the revealing outfit and suddenly having an attitude cuz she had no man.

        That moment alone shows why comic book writers dont understand how to write female characters. I thought alot of Roy Thomas' writing in All Star Squadron and Young All Stars was very revealing as well with female characters.

        They're not positive or developing.

        One of the funniest moments for me was when the so-called seductive depiction of She-Hulk was transferred to the Hulk cartoon. These are two different mediums and it showed.

        Attempts to show She-Hulk as flirtatious and a 'good' lawyer made her look like a buffoon. In general portrayals of women as uplifting and capable in comic books, from what i have seen, have always run about the same way.

        "Oh, no, such-n-such book was better from the usual fare."

        Obviously not good enough if the title has been cancelled.

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 30, 2010
          Johan,
          The villainess in the Superfriends episode "The Mind Maidens" wasn't an Amazon.
          Medulla was "the most brilliant woman on Earth" due, no doubt, to earlier
          versions of her computerized "booster" (perhaps similar to some the Krell
          technology seen in the "Forbidden Planet" film). Perhaps you're thinking of the
          episode "Secret Orgins of the Superfriends" where Lex sent the Cheetah back in
          time to defeat young Princess Diana in the contest to decide which Amazon would
          become Wonder Woman?
          Thanks,

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 30, 2010
            Well, Marvel may have problems with publishing successful female-character comicbooks, but at least DC has several that are still around.
            Is the problem possibly finding good writers and artists to handle those books, or is it an issue of not enough readers interested in females as the lead character in a book? (Is it that males who read Marvel don't care for female leads unless they're treated as soft-core porno?)

            --- In DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, Darci <darci386@...> wrote:

            I'm going to continue to harp on a topic I've raised previously: the cancellation of Marvel's female-led titles. Ms Marvel Vol2, cancelled at #50 (April 2010). Black Widow (Vol6 ?), cancelled at #8 (cover-dated Jan 2011, but it was out Nov 24th), and Hawkeye and Mockingbird, cancelled at #6 (cover-dated Jan 2011, but it was out Nov 3rd). I think that only leaves the new Spider-Girl series? X-23 (or is that a limited series)?
          • Jered
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 2, 2011
              I hate to bring this DC group further off-topic, but I have to weigh in regarding Sue Richards. She absolutely flourished under John Byrne's tenure on Fantastic Four. It's true that Sue was often the poster child for women being written as weak and frail but Byrne developed Sue into one of the stronger, confident and most powerful members of the team. Among the highlights of his run: Sue went toe-to-toe with Dr. Doom and when the Psycho-Man brainwashed her into becoming Malice she even beat down the rest of the team. And while she was pregnant for part of Byrne's storyline, it wasn't the sole defining factor of Sue's character. In fact, it was Byrne who turned the Invisible Girl into the Invisible Woman. Further, Byrne added She-Hulk to the team, helping to further define her character into the smart, sexy, compassionate hero we know today (even if it doesn't translate well to cartoons). Byrne's run has been collected by Marvel in a nine-volume Visionaries trade paperback series.

              Switching to DC, I'm curious as to why you think Roy Thomas' writing revealed why male comic book writers shouldn't write female characters. He took a relatively unknown female character, Liberty Belle, and made her the leader of the All-Star Squadron. And he gave us a female version of Firebrand when he could easily have used the male version. When the title transitioned to Young All Stars he developed Fury, Tsunami and Tigress. He also created Infinity Inc., introducing strong, distinct characters like Fury, Jade and Wildcat II. The point being, I thought many of these female characters were unique, independent and characterized well outside of the weak/frail mold.

              Like you, I don't have much familiarity with Wonder Woman in her own series and I know many believe she's been mishandled over the years, but you can't deny DC has always tried to place her firmly alongside Superman and Batman as a cornerstone of the DC Universe. From what I've read, mostly in various Justice League titles, she's always been quite independent and clearly defined as her own character.

              Lastly, I'd point you to Birds of Prey for strong, intelligent characterizations of female characters. Created and written by Chuck Dixon before (female and perhaps not applicable to this discussion) Gail Simone took the reins, the title is a great showcase for a handful of DC's female heroes. Among others, the title redefined two longstanding DC characters -- Oracle and Black Canary -- stepping out from under the shadows of Batman and Green Arrow and becoming two of DC's most dynamic, well-defined, capable female heroes.

              All this isn't to say I don't agree with you. Female characters for a long time were shallow, meeker versions of their male counterparts. And they can still be reduced to such when written by bad writers--but so can male characters. I just don't think its fair to say males shouldn't write female characters today.

              Just my two cents...

              Jered

              --- In DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "Johan" <lightoller_ch@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > it was out Nov 24th), and Hawkeye and Mockingbird, cancelled at #6 (cover-dated
              > > Jan 2011, but it was out Nov 3rd). I think that only leaves the new Spider-Girl
              > > series? X-23 (or is that a limited series)?
              > >
              > > Another topic might be DC's failure, yet again, to successfully work with
              > > another company's characters. Just like they failed with Quality's Blackhawks,
              > > Fawcett's Captain Marvel, and Charlton's action heroes, it looks like they've
              > > destroyed interest in revivals of Archie's Mighty Crusaders and Tower Comics'
              > > T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents. Is that some kind of record, wiping out two company's
              > > characters in one year?
              > >
              > > My third pick turned out to be more of a non-event: JMS taking over Superman
              > > and Wonder Woman, then dropping them both after 4 issues. Stracynski taking on
              > > those two titles definitely generated the most news in the mainstream press.

            • MJAmbergei
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 5, 2011
                I don't know what's happening over at Marvel with their super-heroines, I just hope that DC keeps their BATWOMAN & BATGIRL
                going, GOTHAM SIRENS & the new BIRDS OF PREY haven't been so hot & I was really looking forward to them.

                BTW, for a while I was buying Marvel titles,
                but I got over it...LOL...I just don't like their characters
                & I don't want to speak sacrilege but there's some really good stuff coming out of IMAGE(mostly TOP COW.)

                Mark

              • Ditkomania@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 5, 2011
                  In a message dated 1/5/2011 6:15:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                  cinema_paradiso70@... writes:

                  I don't want to speak sacrilege but there's some really good stuff coming
                  out of IMAGE

                  Two words - WAKING DEAD!

                • Ditkomania@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 5, 2011
                    In a message dated 1/5/2011 6:20:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                    Ditkomania@... writes:

                    I don't want to speak sacrilege but there's some really good stuff coming
                    out of IMAGE

                    Two words - WAKING DEAD!

                    oops WALKING DEAD, that is - my damn L key is wearing out on the laptop...