Re: [DCU] hello..

  • Mark Ambergei
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 25, 2010
      Yes, I meant Stephanie Brown, the current BATGIRL...to me she seems to be a sort of a combination of all the Batgirls that have gone before her with some of the movie Batgirl, Alicia Silverstone mixed in (BTW, I liked her but she was in no way Barbara Gordon!!)

      Mark

      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 25, 2010
        Mark,
        That was Alfred's niece, Barbara Wilson, in the film.  In the comics, Alfred had
        two nieces.  Valerie appeared in the Batman Sunday comic strip in Feb and March
        1945.  Daphne appeared in Batman #216 (Nov 1969) and #227 (Dec 1970).  I've
        never seen the Valerie comic strip, but Daphne almost certainly would never
        become a Batgirl.
        (I tried looking at http://www.ilovecomixarchive.com/B/Batman%c2%a0but they don't
        appear to have the Sunday comics.  But take a look at
        http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Classics-1943-1946-Bob-Kane/dp/1402747187%c2%a0!)  Does
        anyone have a copy of Michael Fleishers' Encyclopedia of Comic Book Heroes
        Volume 1?  I wonder if the nieces are listed there?

        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 25, 2010
          Darci,
          Interesting, thanks, I learned something new.

          Mark

          --- In DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, Darci <darci386@...> wrote:

          > Mark,
          > That was Alfred's niece, Barbara Wilson, in the film.  In the comics, Alfred had
          > two nieces.  Valerie appeared in the Batman Sunday comic strip in Feb and March
          > 1945.  Daphne appeared in Batman #216 (Nov 1969) and #227 (Dec 1970).  I've
          > never seen the Valerie comic strip, but Daphne almost certainly would never
          > become a Batgirl.
          > (I tried looking at http://www.ilovecomixarchive.com/B/Batman%c3%82%c2%a0but they don't
          > appear to have the Sunday comics.  But take a look at
          > http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Classics-1943-1946-Bob-Kane/dp/1402747187%c3%82%c2%a0!)  Does
          > anyone have a copy of Michael Fleishers' Encyclopedia of Comic Book Heroes
          > Volume 1?  I wonder if the nieces are listed there?
          > Darci
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Jered Gold
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 25, 2010
            I think it's okay to say you aren't familiar with Black Canary and don't know
            much about her, but you can't say "there isn't too much on that woman."

            * Her mom was a member of the Justice Society and she considers its members as
            extended family. She herself went on to join a more recent incarnation of the
            JSA
            * While she was born with her "Canary Cry" (a sonic scream, more or less) she
            actually prefers hand-to-hand combat
            * She trained in various forms of fighting skills under such tutors as Wildcat
            and Sensei Otomo and is one of the top seven martial artists in the DCU
            * Black Canary has been a long-time member of the Justice League and recently
            served as Chairwoman

            * She's a core operative of the Birds of Prey, serving as field leader for
            covert missions
            * She has significant ties to people throughout the DCU, not just through the
            Justice Society and Justice League, but as an extended member of the Bat Family,
            not to mention her long-standing relationship with Green Arrow and his
            arrow-slinging family

            This is just the tip of the iceberg! I'd suggest reading any of the Birds of
            Prey series (especially early ones or those written by Gail Simone) or the
            recent Green Arrow/Black Canary series. I also thought she was portrayed well on
            Justice League Unlimited.

            I admit I wasn't a huge fan of hers but think her character has been strongly
            developed over the last 10 years or so.

            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 25, 2010
              My copy (from 1976) lists Wilfred Pennyworth, who is Alfred's older brother and Daphne's father. No separate listing for Valerie (or Daphne), and no sign of a Valerie while skimming through the entry for Alfred.

              The entry for Alfred in Who's Who in the DC Universe (No. 3 - Oct. 1990) also lists only Wilfred and Daphne under "Known Relatives".
              (But didn't Alfred have a daughter named Julia or something at one point? Was that maybe before Crisis on Infinite Earths, and later retconned out or something?)

              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 25, 2010
                And some of us much (MUCH) older fans/readers can remember when they originally had the first (and, at that time, ONLY) Black Canary, who was a member of the JSA, decide to leave Earth-2 (where the JSA was situated) after the death of her husband and come to Earth-1, where she joined the Justice League. (It was because of the shift from Earth-2 to Earth-1 that she somehow gained her Canary-Cry powers.)

                And because of her relationship that developed with Green Arrow, she was frequently in Green Lantern's adventures (when the book was Green Lantern/Green Arrow).

                (It wasn't until the 1980's when they first introduced the concept of the mother and daughter Black Canarys (Canaries?), which was further retconned as a result of the merging of worlds resulting from Crisis on Infinite Earths.)

                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 25, 2010
                    Lee Elias' Black Cat for me! That is tops!

                    JD

                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 26, 2010
                      This type of retcon was the type Roy Thomas was good at writing . . . taking past events and finding ways to explain them in a (possibly) logical way without having to ignore twenty other events.

                      Of course, this was BEFORE Crisis on Infinite Earths, so it wasn't as if the change HAD to take place because some past stories were no longer a part of the new cannon.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 26, 2010
                        From wikipedia entry for Alfred:

                        Family
                        * Jarvis: Alfred's father in pre-Crisis continuity.
                        * Mademoiselle Marie: A war heroine with whom Alfred has a daughter in pre-Crisis continuity.
                        * Julia Remarque: Alfred's daughter by Mademoiselle Marie.
                        * Wilfred Pennyworth: Alfred's brother, Wilfred is referenced in the late 1960's and early 1970's and is mentioned in the 1997 film Batman & Robin.
                        * Daphne Pennyworth: Niece of Alfred Pennyworth and daughter of Wilfred Pennyworth, Daphne briefly appeared in the late 1960's/early 1970's.

                        from http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Batgirl_(Alicia_Silverstone)

                        Trivia -
                        * Rather than be a red-head like in the comics, Barbara is blonde. She is the second blonde-haired Batgirl. The first was Betty Kane, the first Batgirl (though called "Bat-Girl") and eventually became Flamebird.
                        * The Batgirl costume used in this film is later repainted and used by Diana Myers who plays Barbara Gordon/Batgirl/Oracle for the short-lived Birds of Prey TV show.
                        * Although Batgirl normally wears a cowl like Batman, in this film, she only wears the cowl while riding a motor-cycle. Otherwise she uses a mask similar to Robin's.
                        * Barbara and Dick Grayson retain their romantic banter much like in the comics.
                        * This is the only Batgirl wearing tight-high boots, as seen in the suiting up scene.
                        * Alfred has two nieces who appeared in comics. The first is Valerie in Batman Sunday comics (Feb-March 1945). The second is Daphne Pennyworth, daughter of Alfred's older brother Wilfred, who first appeared in Batman #216 (Nov. 1969). Though Valerie's parents were never revealed.
                      • Daniel Ross
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 19, 2010
                          I always like her man Green Arrow He even better then Batman & Superman too