Help!! Police!!

    Message 1 of 13 , May 5 9:45 AM
      Calling all cars . . . calling all cars . . . be on the lookout for unknown spammer or spammers who have invaded this list!!

      (And where are all the people who normally talk about DC comics? (Notice I made sure not to say "normal people".) Doesn't anybody have any useful topics to discuss, like "Who's the lamest villain who ever fought Batman?" Or, "Why does DC keep getting rid of the heroes of the Silver Age, only to then go and bring them back?" ((I have my own feelings about bringing them back, but why kill them off/retire them/turn them (temporarily) evil in the first place?)) )
    • Jeff Stevenson
      Message 2 of 13 , May 5 10:07 AM
        How about how at the end of blackest night when they say once someone is dead they stay dead, they kill off the JSA in their own book and do a time travel thing to bring them all back.

        Discuss that.

        -- Sent from my Palm Pre

        Message 3 of 13 , May 5 11:15 AM
          I thought that was supposed to be a big part of Blackest Night:  no more revolving door of death since it didn't work out according to Nekron's plans.  Not so?
          Thanks,

        • jeffbearco@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 13 , May 5 11:38 AM
            They started with Alan Scott, Green Lantern!

            That whole story arch is like a huge, "Not Really" to Blackest Night!

            Jeff

            Message 5 of 13 , May 5 12:13 PM
              Well, is Blackest Night a GUARANTEE that people won't EVER come back so easily from the dead, or is it something that MAY be in effect / hinted at until somebody decides "I've got this cool story idea where..."?

              And since I don't see the JSA books, did the story of the JSA members dying happen BEFORE or AFTER (or DURING?) the last issue of Blackest Night?

              Message 6 of 13 , May 5 12:54 PM
                The JSA story arch started about a month before blackest night ended.  It is still ongoing.  So they have not been brought back yet.  But they are involved in the current story arch with the JLA.  And characters have referred to it so it's not an elseworlds book.

                PLUS the whole change the past thing goes against the whole ongoing Booster Gold series.

                It's just annoying as hell to have one story punching holes in other better stories.

                -- Sent from my Palm Pre

                Message 7 of 13 , May 5 1:25 PM
                  I'll plead I fell victim to DC's marketing again.  I thought "Final Crisis" was the last Crisis, fool that I am.  Then "Blackest Night" was promised to close the revolving door of death (which has made DC a laughingstock for quite a while).  You know what they say about "Fool me once" and "Fool me twice".  (I'm up to "Fool me 100 times...")

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 5 5:19 PM
                    --- In DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, Darci <darci386@...> wrote:
                    ...Then "Blackest Night" was promised to close the revolving door of death (which has made DC a laughingstock for quite a while).

                    Yeah, but is Marvel any better when it comes to death = DEATH?!?
                    (Haven't really read any Marvels in a really, really long time, except the Marvel 75th Anniversary re-telling of Captain America's origin last year.)

                    And the thing about DC that annoys me is that when we had Crisis on Infinite Earths, the deaths of Flash and Supergirl were suppose to be major results. I didn't mind DC bringing a Supergirl back in the 1990's because that wasn't Kara; that was Matrix (or whatever she was back then).
                    Bringing back Barry Allen seems to have really taken something away from CoIE for me. I liked Barry, but accepted his death. Having someone else take up the Flash role wasn't bringing Barry back, so I grew to enjoy Wally taking up the mantle. Barry was still remembered/referred to from time to time (including a false return of Barry which it turned out was actually Professor Zoom), but returning him to life (which doesn't seem to be a trick this time), as well as the return of multiple Earths, takes away from what CoIE was (to me) and makes it seem more like . . . Invasion, or Armageddon 2001, or even Bloodlines (events worth forgetting whenever possible)!
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 5 8:11 PM
                      Well, the comparison with Marvel doesn't really apply. Unless I missed it, Marvel Zombies was never promoted as the answer to their revolving door of death. That's what Blackest Night was, DC's version of Marvel Zombies.

                      I thought CoIE was a huge, huge misfire. It's goal was supposed to be making the DC Universe simpler, but it had the opposite affect.
                      Batman: forget about Catwoman's past. Forget about their daughter, the Huntress. Forget about Batwoman.
                      Superman: he's the sole survivor of Krypton. Forget about Supergirl (oh, except we want to retain the copyright. Forget about Kara). Forget about Insect Queen, and Sylvia Van-Zee, and everybody in Kandor. Oh, and forget about the Legion of Super-Heroes.
                      Wonder Woman: She never existed. All that stuff in the JSA, forget it. Musta been someone else that looked like her.
                      It was the same for every character, at least as I recall. Did any character actually get better after the Crisis?

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 5 9:57 PM
                        I'm not trying to say that DC is worse than Marvel. I've always been a
                        bigger fan of DC than Marvel.

                        I've been a big fan of JSA. I'm just annoyed with them right now because
                        I also read Booster Gold and read all of Blackest Night. I have the
                        whole set of rings including the new White Ring as of today. It just
                        seems like this latest story arch is a slap in the face to Booster Gold
                        (changes to the time-line = BAD) and Blackest Night (line in the sand
                        that if you die, stay dead!)

                        It was probably just poor timing on their part.

                        And I'm not the type to drop a title I normally enjoy because of one
                        annoying story.

                        Jeff

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 6 10:25 AM
                          I wasn't trying to compare Marvel Zombies (which I didn't read) with Blackest Night.

                          I was trying to point out that Marvel (at least in the past) had also seemed to have its own "revolving door of death" (Wonder Man, Swordsman, Captain America, Wolverine, to name just a few), so I wasn't sure if it was fair to single out DC as being a "laughing stock" because of that.

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 6 1:32 PM
                            I'd agree.  If DC stopped doing this, then Marvel would be left the only one to laugh at on this.  But I might be incorrect, they might do this at Dynamite, Image, Dark Horse, etc...

                            Message 13 of 13 , May 6 5:41 PM
                              --- In DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, Darci <darci386@...> wrote:
                              ...Did any character actually get better after the Crisis?

                              Despite some of your negative references about abandoning all of Superman's pre-Crisis history, I actually thought he (and the comics he was in) did get a lot better after the Crisis. He was a bit more down to earth, and didn't seem so much like this remote, ultra-powerful guy that really didn't seem to have any reason for staying on earth. Letting Ma and Pa Kent still be alive gave him more connections that he needed.

                              (And when they had previosly tried to make Clark Kent more "contemporary" by making him a nightly TV newsman for the Galaxy Broadcasting System, it just added to the ridiculous nature of having him fly off to distant galaxies when he had to be back for a 6:00 newscast! Anchoring a newscast is not something that can easily be pre-recorded and then sound fresh when it's later aired!)