Bronze Age Supergirl - Need Help

  • metropolisquartet
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2009
      Hello, All -

      Some of you may be familiar with my rather geeky Superman Symbol site, in which I review the details of the most iconic logo in all super-hero-dom and it's early metamorphosis (www.metropolisplus.com/superman).

      As I'm about to create a similar (albeit possibly more ambitious) project, I thought I would enlist the help of those most likely interested in such minutiae.

      Supergirl's costume has changed considerably over the years. From the formative era of the idea of a Super-Girl to her current position in the DCU. My new page will display each of these changes.

      In particular, though, I will be focusing a considerable amount of effort on the Bronze Age, when Supergirl was edited by Joe Orlando and drawn by Mike Sekowsky and the readers would send in designs or drawings that had the potential of becoming Supergirl's next costume.

      I'm looking for help from folks who might be able to supply high-resolution scans of clear renderings of a panel, splash or cover that would be considered an excellent representation of each iteration thereof.

      I'm asking, if you have a favorite, that you make a high-res scan of the costume and send me either a link where I can download it or a compressed copy. I'd like to work from at least 460 dpi, but would prefer even higher resolution, as it provides more margin for error on my part when rendering for the site.

      Personally, my favorite of this era was rendered by Art Saaf and Dick Giordano in "Fight with Fire Drake" in Adventure #409 - excellent costume for which I have no scan, no copy of the book to scan (have no idea how this happened - I've lost mine and am just sick about it). There are several clear panels in this story - and while the cover doesn't give a super-solid idea of the whole of the costume, if someone here had a high-res scan of it (or even the original art), I'd gladly utilize it on the page (with all due credit, of course).

      I also enjoyed the thigh-high boots with the tunic-type mini-skirt and go-go belt, which was beautifully rendered by Curt Swan on a few occasions. I'd sure like a high-resolution scan of Swan's rendering of this costume for the site.

      I've searched the web for examples, but none of them meet the requirements for rendering on the site and I'd much rather have scans directly from the sources, rather than utilizing someone else's work.

      Anyway, any help any or all of you could provide would be greatly appreciated. If you do decide to assist, you can contact me at:

      metropolisqtet @ hotmail . com
      (without the spaces, of course)

      My thanks, in advance, for your assistance in having my geekiness exhibited for the world to see.

      Pax, harmonia,

      Brian G. Philbin
      www.metropolisplus.com