Re: [DCU] Re: Say, "John" -

  • Stephen D Davis
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2009
      Ok, but I bet they ask ya to turn off the caps too.....

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 4, 2009
        I hate all-caps too, although it has nothing to do with shouting or ranting. I see far far more messages where all-caps are used out of laziness than passion.

        What makes it so annoying is simply the fact that it greatly slows down the speed at which you can read. A great part of what contributes to speed-reading is recognizing not the words per se, but the shapes of the words. Take the word HILLBILLY. It's like looking at a white picket fence, with all those tall vertical lines. It takes a lot longer to recognize the word written in upper-case than it does in lower-case - hillbilly - where the mind utilizes the visual cues - short letters, tall letters, dots, tails - to (greatly) speed the process of recognizing the word.

        My wife is a non-native speaker of English. For that matter, our alphabet is not native to her, either. When she watches a movie on TV she needs to have closed-captioning on. But she refuses to watch any movie with captions all in upper-case. She just can't keep up with the dialogue.

        Well, here I am, a newbie to the group, and my first post isn't even about comics. I've enjoyed the few threads I have read so far. Looking forward to m ore.

        Cheers,

        Ted T.