Re: WEDNESDAY COMICS Thursday 4:RYAN SOOK Brings KAMANDI to Life

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6 11:18 AM
      From: Terry Allen <the.allens@...>
      To: TheREHcomicsgroup@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, August 6, 2009 1:07:34 PM
      Subject: WEDNESDAY COMICS Thursday 4:RYAN SOOK Brings KAMANDI to Life

      Welcome back to our weekly miniseries covering DC Comics' broadsheet Wednesday Comics. Our musings on the first four issues are after the jump, and this week, we begin our series of interviews with the creators behind the project.

      Ryan Sook, artist on the outstanding Kamandi strip, was kind enough to take time out to chat with us about the book this week and how he thinks the whole project has come out.

      Newsarama: The strip seems to quite obviously reference the old Prince Valiant strips by Hal Foster and John Cullen Murphy. Was that your idea, or Dave (Gibbons'), and how the process come about?

      RYAN SOOK: That was Dave's idea, actually. What he said to me was, `I want it to look like the old Prince Valiant strip!' He said he wanted a title bar and one or two big flashy images in each page. And, he mentioned the old Japanese wood block prints [such as the ukiyo-e art of Utagawa Hiroshige] for a palette. I was familiar with Foster's work, but I didn't really need a lot of reference work; I just kept it in the back of my mind when I drew the strips. We went from there.

      REST,INCLUDING PAGE OF ART : http://www.newsarama.com/comics/080906-Wednesday-Thursday-Sook.html