Re: [DCU] Re: Thing/Herbie

  • Leonard Blunk
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 30, 2009
      Sorry I missed this show. Perhaps it will turn up on the net sometime.
                                                LEN

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
        Wow, I forgot to explain the catchphrase.

        Benji wore two rings, one on each hand.

        When danger was around, such as the carjackers, shoplifters or dognappers, Benji would bring the two rings together like the Wonder Twins in Superfriends, and he would declare "Thing ring, do your thing!" and transform into the full grown Thing.

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
          Apparently this was within the infamous 'Fred and Barney meet the Thing' - 'Fred and Barney meet the Shmoo' period, circa 1979.

          We must have watched the Thing cartoon, then changed the channel when the Flintstones anything started up.

          Fred and Barney never met the Thing in the cartoons, they may have exchanged dialogue during some bumper or something.

          A year after Herbie? I didnt know it was that soon, tho I think the FF cartoon didn't run a full year before it ws yanked.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
            And this actually sold to TV? Who at Marvel would approve such a show?
              Okay, for someone who has no idea of the Thing's origins and place in the Marvel Universe---it might work. But I can see True Believers the world over tuning this one out!
              Even the Bixby/Ferringo HULK was better than that.
              The actor I felt for was the guy who played the Thing in the FF films. Can you imagine wearing that outfit under kleg lights and just having to walk around in it? Good way to melt off any body fat though! LOL
                                                       LEN

            Wow, I forgot to explain the catchphrase.

            Benji wore two rings, one on each hand.

            When danger was around, such as the carjackers, shoplifters or dognappers, Benji would bring the two rings together like the Wonder Twins in Superfriends, and he would declare "Thing ring, do your thing!" and transform into the full grown Thing.

            --- In DC_Comics_Uncensore d@yahoogroups. com, Leonard Blunk <lionineone@ ...> wrote:

            > Sorry I missed this show. Perhaps it will turn up on the net sometime.
            >                                           LEN

          • Jonathan
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
              Whoever sold that premise, should have read the Fantastic Four, and closely.
              The Thing's condition was permanent, as were the others.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
                As I said, after Herbie, even tho by then I was a pre-teen and should have been too old for cartoons, I felt I was open to anything.

                The Thing could have been in outer space, the Thing could have been underwater, we could have had the Thing team (Captain Ben Grimm, Thingra, Dr. Thingster and Thingie, the dog) and I wouldn't have cared.

                And Michael Chiklis of some show I never watched was the Thing. Didn't he appear pretty well into the first movie as a human?

                And get transformed back briefly in the second movie?

                HIs fiancee, who is Asian, wouldn't go near him when he was in the costume, he said in an article.

                I hope they are married by now.

                He also played Curly Howard in the Three Stooges telemovie, who suffered the stroke and brother Moe had to take control of his likeness and left Curly sobbing in the wheelchair.

                Worth noting, the voice of the Thing in the first FF cartoon in '68 was the same voice behind Boris Badenov and the Burgermeister Meisterburger from Santa Claus is Coming To Town, Paul Frees was his name I believe.

                Didnt know this, but the Thing with Herbie the robot in the '78 cartoon was Ted Cassidy, aka Lurch from the Addams Family.

                Also worth noting, Ted Cassidy is the narrator heard at the beginning of the Bixby-Ferrigno Hulk show AND he provided the monster's growls in the show.

                He also did the growls for Godzilla in the late seventies Saturday morning Godzilla cartoon, with Godzookie, about one of the last things he did.

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
                  Why Marvel characters suffered so much and changed so much back then was a phenomenal mystery to my brothers and myself.

                  For the life of us we could not figure it out, especially in that the Hanna Barbera FF cartoon was virtually untouched, aside from some re-editings to remove Namor from about two episodes due to the character possibly appearing elsewhere, I believe, much the same as was said to be the case with the Torch not being in the seventies cartoon.

                  Firestar was created for Spiderman and his Amazing Friends just three years later.

                  Would a female Torch (or Iceman) have been that much out of the question, instead of Herbie?

                  Still, the explanation was that Herbie came about because of Star Wars and R2D2, trying to cash in on that imagery.

                  Didn't work, I know that much. People fled from this FF cartoon, tho now I wouldnt mind watching it as each animated FF version seemed to do the same stories and it would be fun to compare them.

                  I remember Medusa had two turns in the seventies FF cartoon, as leader of the Inhumans (Black Bolt was nowhere to be seen) and she was also a member of the Frightful Four.

                  Blastaar used to say his name like he was selling a new product, like this Billy Mays guy who just died.

                  "I am . . . BLASTAAR! I can take care of anything!!"

                    From: Richard J. <richard.fuller1@...>
                    To: DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Wednesday, July 1, 2009, 5:45 PM

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 3, 2009
                      She was in Three Little Pigskins, which I think I thought was her, then concluded it must not be.

                      She did appear in a Marx Bros. movie, tho again, she was only the female object of affection or something.

                      Its known that at this time, no one knew what she was capable of comedically.