Re: [DCU] Watchmen

  • Larry Talbot
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 20, 2009
      Well, frankly, it may simply be a matter of taste. You either like it or you don't. Explaining it won't change that. Especially since everybody walks away something different after having read it.

      Uncle Wolf

      Ululo ergo sum.

      http://wulfmann.wordpress com/

      "Englisch ist das Ergebnis von Normannischen Männern-an-Armen, die Daten mit sächsischen Bardamen machen."
      H. Beam Piper

      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 21, 2009
        Wolverine was already heading that way.

        In truth, I think Watchmen had a solid story, and it was misinterpreted to be appealing because of its subject matter, so this was the bandwagon all the other heroes leapt on.

        And the 'villian' of the piece felt he was actually the hero of the day, and open to interpretation, he was. It wasn't like Dr. Doom conquering the world. What would Doom do with the world if he conquered it? He was only a man.

        I think it cheapened the direction of comic books, but this happens in pretty much all mediums. Language, sex, gore, violence, people like it, but they are repulsed by it.

        I've never really felt people were so offended by it, or naive to it, just that they didn't it always interesting.

        I was never deprived of excessive subject matter (whether it was slasher movies or Watchmen) but the shock mentality in today's films and comic books is just redundant to me.

        And now the interpretation from the younger crowd, if Im not blown away by depictions of anal fluids in a comic book, is that I'm shocked by such portrayals and offended.

        Never ending cycle.

        I've often felt that these depictions could simply show someone chewing their food and opening their mouths.

        Ewww! Gross!

        Same effect. Ths was Watchmen.

        But as I said, if the story had been there without the illustrations of the gore and Rorshach's whore mom, would the book have been just as revolutionary?

        I guess we'll never know, eh?

        --- In DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "skeletors_hood" <skeletors_hood@...> wrote:

        > The appeal always seemed to be that this was one of the first stories in comics that fostered a more adult appeal, and not because of the nudity or stuff like that. It doesn't end with the heroes winning, for example. It's not the JLA going, "wow, that was a close one. But if evil tries again, we'll always be there." Nope, the "villain" was successful in his plan, and the heroes realize that his plan was the lesser of two evils, and accept to not reveal him. It ends in compromise, like so many things in the real world, and this was an idea unheard of in comics, that it was one of the cornerstones in redefining the way people look at and read comics. This is one of the reasons that it is so revered...without Watchmen, you may not have the Batman that you see in Dark Knight. Characters like Punisher and Wolverine would have no grounds in which to flex their muscles, because writers would still write them towards kids, keeping them toned down and safe. I'm not saying that it is all owed to Watchmen, but Watchmen helped make it happen. Like Shakespeare didn't invent theater, nor did he change it really, but he definitely had a strong influence in its development towards what we consider theater today.
      • Richard J.
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 21, 2009
          One of the most telling moments to me was the prison shrink's behavior at the dinner party with the other couple.

          He was now desensitized like Rorshach, but this was absurd. Rorshach had a lifetime of being desensitized. The prison shrink is suddenly going to become this way and go 'wow, there's a real ugly world out there'

          Its people thinking the skipping-around-the-maypole-and-OF-COURSE-going-to-church-on-Sunday crowd don't know this stuff is going on.

          The shrink wasn't naive, it was Rorshach who was naive in his ignorance in thinking that all the shrink wanted to hear was Rorshach was improving when he saw pretty flowers instead of the butchered dog.

          Similar ideaology in Silence of the Lambs when Hannibal had to talk to the politician lady about suckling her kidnapped grown daughter.

          the thinking is these people are shocked and appalled to suddenly hear this subject matter out of context like this (around a dinner table or during a kidnapping) but in truth, it is just irrelevant and quite honestly, as Clance said, the same as chewing your food with your mouth open.

          --- In DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "clanceyakker" <clanceyakker@...> wrote:

          > It was very Wolverine; the slightest bit of appeal to it, readers liking the look of a plot with substance (as compared to the DC Challenge around the same time) and its delving into a 'dark world', whether or not sales were good on the title, led to a backlash of overblown imitations and hype.
          >
          > By comparison, if an issue of ARchie were to suddenly have big sales, do you honestly think Marvel, DC or anyone else would jump on that bandwagon and offer up similar works?
          >
          > If they did, then these teen kids would have to indulge in the world of drugs and prostitution as well, because in some minds, this is reality.
          >
          > Watchmen wasn't bad, but that this (and that Frank Miller Batman thing, one I don't understand even more than Watchmen) re-defining comic books as they were supposed to have done has always just said to me that writers or editors just weren't feeling creative.
          >
          > --- In DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "jasonshelf" <jasonlnorman@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Ok, at the risk of some potentially nasty feedback, I have a legitimate question here...what is the appeal of "Watchmen?" I'm a big comic books fan, but whatever appeal this graphic novel seems to hold for others is lost on me. I find the plot to be somewhat weak and inconsistent, the characters wooden and underwritten, and the artwork retro but not in a good way.
          > >
          > > I'm not simply trying to belittle the work, just stating my reaction to it. I've heard countless people who refer to their adoration in general terms, but nothing that rang true for my experience.
          > >
          > > If anyone has any feedback that might give me a different perspective with which to appreciated it, please share.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > >
          > > Jason

        • Richard J.
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 21, 2009
            Not necessarily. There can be some likable aspects to the series as a story, but as far as what it has done to comic books, the conclusion that more graphic subject matter will appeal to a broader audience, may have been misjudged.

            Watchmen ushered in the idea that explicit subject matter was more mature.

            Yet in the 1950s, the death and gore issues were clearly being read by teens.

            Whose to say that those who indulged in post-Watchmen merely weren't more teens of that era, who believed this was a more mature comic book, while adults, who had been looking at such subject matter long before Watchmen, merely shrugged it off as a cheap way to get people to buy the books?

            --- In DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Talbot" <lonchaneyjr@...> wrote:
            You either like it or you don't.
          • Daniel Ross
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 22, 2009
              Have any you guys have seen the watchmen movie is it any good?

              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 23, 2009
                Have NOT seen it and I am ASHAMED!!!!

                It came out on MY birthday!!!

                I used to see green cuz the very first Batman movie back in '89 or so with Keaton and Nicholson (whatever year it came out, snore snore) was on my brother's birthday, and even tho he isn't a Batman fan, all the comic books had the Batman logo and June 23rd (today, by the way) on the back covers.

                My brother's birthday was on the comic books.

                Before that, New Teen Titans #20 or something, the one where they tangled with Brains Beldon and his unloved son, causing Wally West to write to his parents, Dear Mom and Dad, . . .

                The date on the cover of the letter was my other brother's birthday!!!

                March 11.

                He saw no big deal in this either, but I had to look at these comic books with my brothers' birthday on them and I didn't have one.

                MY SISTER'S BIRTHDAY!!!

                I've never read the book, but in the Marvel comic book adaptations of H G Welles The Invisible Man, the opening caption gives the date of February 9, which was also the date the Beatles appeared on the Ed sullivan show.

                Sis' birthday.

                Other sister's birthday? She would occassionally get a new president for her birthday, like every four years.

              • kwakuel@rocketmail.com
                Message 7 of 29 , Jul 23 11:40 AM
                  Was it good. I spent 2 hours and 40 minutes watching this movie and it was a complete dissapointment.
                • primitivx
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 23 7:25 PM
                    --- In DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "kwakuel@..." <kwakuel@...> wrote:

                    > Was it good. I spent 2 hours and 40 minutes watching this movie and it was a complete dissapointment.

                    I watched 3 times now, and I was a bit disappointed the first time, but the more I watch it, the more I see all the layers and I like it.
                  • Daniel Ross
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jul 27 3:17 AM

                      From: primitivx <primitivx@...>
                      Subject: [DCU] Re: Watchmen
                      To: DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 29 , Jul 27 8:32 AM
                        Oh, you do not want me to get started on the Spirit movie! Frank Miller raped the character worse than Freddy Kreuger's mother! I even blogged it.

                        Frank Miller Must Die
                        April 30, 2009 by wulfmann
                        Frank Miller Must Die.professionally, along with the idiot who thought it was a good idea to turn him loose on the Spirit. As a director, Miller is a so-so writer. He should stick to what he does best.writing and art. Leave the directing to people who know how. Frankly, I can't believe he ever even read The Spirit. I'm amazed he could spell it! Will Eisner should stop spinning in his grave long enough to rise out of it and strangle Miller. I wouldn't suggest ol' Will go zombie on the boy and eat his brain.even zombies should avoid junk food. If Miller wants to screw up some more movies, then he should at least stick to the ones he wrote himself and leave otherwise good material in more capable hands.which would be pretty much anybody on the face of the Earth with an I.Q. above 50. The only thing I can imagine is that either he screwed it up out of professional jealousy or Marvel paid him off to tank the film. If Miller gets his mitts on Superman or Batman, I'm getting a high-powered rifle, selecting a nice tower IN MILLER'S NEIGHBORHOOD and getting in some target practice. Relax, if you're not him, I won't be shooting at you.

                        Frankie, Baby, if you gotta direct, stick to your own stuff. Don't ruin anybody else's. Do another Sin City or 300 or something completely new. Don't mess with the works of other far superior talents like Will Eisner! He doesn't deserve that kind of treatment, and neither do the rest of us.

                        This has been a Wolf Rant.

                        Now, wanna know how I REALLY feel?

                        Der Wolf

                        Ululo Ergo Sum

                        "English is the result of Norman Men-at-Arms making dates with Saxon Barmaids."
                        H. Beam Piper

                        > Was it good. I spent 2 hours and 40 minutes watching this movie and it was a complete dissapointment.

                        I watched 3 times now, and I was a bit disappointed the first time, but the more I watch it, the more I see all the layers and I like it.

                      • Steve Sierran
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jul 27 11:27 AM
                          I saw Watchmen in the theatre and again over the weekend on DVD, and both
                          experiences were pretty good from my perspective, but the story-telling is
                          so overwhelmingly heavy and the plot so intricate, I have to wonder how
                          someone who was not familiar with the graphic novel could ever understand
                          it.

                              <standinggreenman@...>wrote:

                              > I Have not seen this movie yet BUT I have been told it's better then the
                              > Spirit movie they told me it nothing like comic at all. --- On Fri,
                              > 24/7/09, primitivx <primitivx@...> wrote:
                              >

                              > From: primitivx <primitivx@...>
                              > Subject: [DCU] Re: Watchmen
                              > To: DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com
                              >

                              > --- In DC_Comics_Uncensore d@yahoogroups. com, "kwakuel@... " <kwakuel@...
                              > > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Was it good. I spent 2 hours and 40 minutes watching this movie and it
                              > was a complete dissapointment.
                              > >

                              > I watched 3 times now, and I was a bit disappointed the first time, but the
                              > more I watch it, the more I see all the layers and I like it.

                            • Jonathan
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jul 27 2:56 PM
                                Wahhhh, Sour Grapes...

                                  <standinggreenman@...>wrote:

                                  > I Have not seen this movie yet BUT I have been told it's better then the
                                  > Spirit movie they told me it nothing like comic at all. --- On Fri,
                                  > 24/7/09, primitivx <primitivx@...> wrote:
                                  >

                                  > From: primitivx <primitivx@...>
                                  > Subject: [DCU] Re: Watchmen
                                  > To: DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com
                                  >

                                  > --- In DC_Comics_Uncensore d@yahoogroups. com, "kwakuel@... " <kwakuel@...
                                  > > wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Was it good. I spent 2 hours and 40 minutes watching this movie and it
                                  > was a complete dissapointment.
                                  > >

                                  > I watched 3 times now, and I was a bit disappointed the first time, but the
                                  > more I watch it, the more I see all the layers and I like it.

                                • Larry Talbot

                                    I usually wait for movies to come out on DVD and get them from library,some
                                    movies are worth the wait

                                    <standinggreenman@...>wrote:

                                    > I Have not seen this movie yet BUT I have been told it's better then the
                                    > Spirit movie they told me it nothing like comic at all. --- On Fri,
                                    > 24/7/09, primitivx <primitivx@...> wrote:
                                    >

                                    > From: primitivx <primitivx@...>
                                    > Subject: [DCU] Re: Watchmen
                                    > To: DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com
                                    >

                                    > --- In DC_Comics_Uncensore d@yahoogroups. com, "kwakuel@... " <kwakuel@...
                                    > > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Was it good. I spent 2 hours and 40 minutes watching this movie and it
                                    > was a complete dissapointment.
                                    > >

                                    > I watched 3 times now, and I was a bit disappointed the first time, but
                                    the
                                    > more I watch it, the more I see all the layers and I like it.

                                  • BRIAN BLACK
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jul 27 3:51 PM