Re: [DCU] Re: Characteristics that Make a Excellent Super Villain

  • Leonard Blunk
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2009
      You know Jason, you make an awfully convincing case in favour of Stan's comment.
                                           DR. ORIENT ROHMER

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2009
        > What I really don't understand is Stan Lee saying super villains
        > don't need to be neccessarly evil just at odds with the super hero,
        > and breaking a law or laws. I can name a number of super villains
        > that are evil.
        > Most Super Villains are evil some of them know it, others think
        they
        > aren't doing anything bad just taking a approach to accomplish
        > something that isn't accepted by Society.

        Basically, that is the crux of the comment made by Stan Lee. Denny
        O'neil once said of golden age comics, that a villain could just
        appear, and say that they were evil or that they were a villain, and
        this was typical of the comics of the day. Stan Lee wrote his
        villains in a different matter, often giving them a similar goal to
        the hero, but had a line that they would cross, whereas the hero
        would not.

        The best villains are the ones who do not think of themselves as
        evil. Magneto has the same goal as Prof X...equality for mutants.
        But whereas Xavier wants to coexist with humans, Magneto wants to
        enslave humanity. Both approaches would accomplish the same thing,
        but Magneto crosses a line.

        Your example of Dr Doom...bottom line, he is a dictator, much like
        Castro and his like. We view these leaders as evil, because being
        from a democratic society, we think that this is a bad way to lead a
        country, but dictatorships do exist, and will exist for many years.
        What a dictatorship does within his country, and to his people, other
        nations will look away, it's only when they start things outside
        their borders, that others will react. Otherwise, why not just march
        into Latveria and arrest Doom? Because all Dr Doom wants to do is
        take over the world. Guess what? That is not a crime, nor can you
        be thrown in jail for saying that you want to do such a thing.

        There aren't many characters in comics that can be defined as pure
        evil. Darkseid can be put into that category, to a degree.
        Mephisto, Malebolgia, ie any demonic characters or variations of
        Satan. Other than that, there just aren't many villains who are evil,
        just for the sake of being evil.