Dark City

  • primitivx
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 20, 2009
      Anyone remembers Dark City, a 1998 Sci-Fi movie? I was thinking how much it looks like
      Gotham should look like.
    • Jonathan
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 21, 2009
        I saw Dark City, myself. Yeah: You're right. It looks like a 1938 or so Gotham City... If they want to do Batman set in the late 30's, that's how Gotham should look...
        Or Would look...
        Some heavy duty research into Art Deco and Gothic style architecture needed here...
        Anyone remembers Dark City, a 1998 Sci-Fi movie? I was thinking how much it looks like
        Gotham should look like.

      • Leonard Blunk
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 21, 2009
          I like the idea of the classic dark, gothic city but you know, that's yesterday's darkness. Where are the present day dark, gothic cities? Today's architecture can be every bit as macabre as yesteryear's.
                                               DR. ORIENT ROHMER

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 21, 2009
            There are any? Present day Dark, Gothic Cities, I mean.

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 21, 2009
              That's what I am getting at. Where are they? Surely there must be some?
                                     DR. ORIENT ROHMER

              There are any? Present day Dark, Gothic Cities, I mean.
              I like the idea of the classic dark, gothic city but you know, that's yesterday's darkness. Where are the present day dark, gothic cities? Today's architecture can be every bit as macabre as yesteryear's.
              DR. ORIENT ROHMER

              I saw Dark City, myself. Yeah: You're right. It looks like a 1938 or so Gotham City... If they want to do Batman set in the late 30's, that's how Gotham should look...
              Or Would look...
              Some heavy duty research into Art Deco and Gothic style architecture needed here...
              Anyone remembers Dark City, a 1998 Sci-Fi movie? I was thinking how much it looks like
              Gotham should look like.

            • wes simpson
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 21, 2009
                Detroit City is the town that is ideal for that dark gothic look. The automobile industry was a burgeoning part of the American financial growth spurt of the early Twentieth Century. As a result it's skyline was filled with tall buildings heavily influenced by  art deco and old world elements. Here one can find jutting gargoyles next to fanciful geometric designs. The retro-futuristic look is nearly everywhere. Now some of the structures stand abandoned,victims of the of the economic despair that has gripped Michigan in recent years. Soot and acid rain provide stark contrast to bright graffitti. The whole effect is one of past, future,opulence and blight all smashed together. I think that this is one of the cities that would fit the bill.

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 22, 2009
                  How about New York City? Or Toronto? Or Chicago? Maybe, Vancouver... British Columbia, Canada...
                  Just some ideas...