Re: [DCU] DC Universe Animated Original Movies.........

    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 31, 2008
      Tom,
      I'm not sure the Marvel Family will ever be appreciated at DC.  Someone pointed out to me that Bob Rozakis (IIRC) was writing a What If story about if Max Gaines at All-American had bought out DC instead of the other way around.  If someone else ran DC or if Fawcett were still in the comic book business, then maybe they'd get a fair shake?
      Hey, Paul Dini, Alan Burnett, prove me wrong, why don't ya?
      Darci

      Tom <blackaciddevil01@...> wrote:
      Darci,
      That's what I was thinking. Making it a retro setting or back before
      all this stuff took place and happened. Shazam!, in my opinion, has
      always been an underappreciated character. To me, he was always as
      entertaining as Superman. I preferred reading his comics more because
      they were fun. Characters like Doctor Sivana, Uncle Marvel, Tawky
      Tawny, and Mister Mind made the comic a hoot. I loved it!

      I heard, recently, that Hollywood is planning a "Billy Batson and the
      Legend of Shazam!" movie sometime in the next year or two. That
      should be interesting.
      Tom

    • jezyoo
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
        I would love to see an Etrigan and Lobo feature.

        --- In DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "Tom"
        <blackaciddevil01@...> wrote:

        > I've collected all the DCU Animated Movies and am greatly looking
        > forward to Wonder Woman when it comes out in February of 2009. I
        see DC
        > has made them of their 'big three' but I'm wondering what will come
        > afterwards. I'd like to ask all of you what you'd like to see come
        next
        > or eventually down the line from DCU & Warner Animation??
        >
        > I, personally, would love to see 'em do a feature on Shazam!, The
        > Spectre, The Demon or Deadman. I've always been fascinated by those
        > characters but have yet to see them in animated form. I have more
        I'd

        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
          Speaking of 1940's, how about either the Original Justice Society of
          America, Seven Soldiers of Victory, or the Freedom Fighters fighting
          Nazis during World War II?

          Or maybe some of the non-super-powered heroes like the Crimson
          Avenger, Golden-Age Sandman, etc. against a non-super-powered villain?

          --- In DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, Darci <darci386@...>
          wrote:

          > Tom,
          > Shazam would be interesting, but I don't see how they could do one
          now, with the wizard gone, Billy elevated to take his place, Freddy
          taking Billy's place, and Mary working for Darkseid.  Maybe if they
          make it a retro setting, like back in the 1940s?
          > Darci
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Tom
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
            I couldn't agree more with you, Darci, that the Marvel Family will
            ever be appreciated at DC. That's a shame, too, as The Marvel Family
            is just as entertaining. You're absolutely right in every respect.
            Tom

            wrote:

            > Tom,
            > I'm not sure the Marvel Family will ever be appreciated at DC.
            Someone pointed out to me that Bob Rozakis (IIRC) was writing a What
            If story about if Max Gaines at All-American had bought out DC
            instead of the other way around. If someone else ran DC or if
            Fawcett were still in the comic book business, then maybe they'd get
            a fair shake?
            > Hey, Paul Dini, Alan Burnett, prove me wrong, why don't ya?
            > Darci
            >
            > Tom <blackaciddevil01@...> wrote: Darci,
            > That's what I was thinking. Making it a retro setting or back
            before
            > all this stuff took place and happened. Shazam!, in my opinion,
            has
            > always been an underappreciated character. To me, he was always as
            > entertaining as Superman. I preferred reading his comics more
            because
            > they were fun. Characters like Doctor Sivana, Uncle Marvel, Tawky
            > Tawny, and Mister Mind made the comic a hoot. I loved it!
            >
            > I heard, recently, that Hollywood is planning a "Billy Batson and
            the
            > Legend of Shazam!" movie sometime in the next year or two. That
            > should be interesting.
            > Tom

          • Tom
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
              Those are good suggestions, xmscity. After DC & Warner did Justice
              League New Frontier, they proved they can do the golden age of comics
              justice.
              Tom

              --- In DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "xmscity1225"

              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
                And what about the heroes DC picked up from Charlton?
                How many of those were eventually killed off so DC could maybe re-use
                the names on new versions?

                wrote:

                Tom,
                I'm not sure the Marvel Family will ever be appreciated at DC.
                Someone pointed out to me that Bob Rozakis (IIRC) was writing a What
                If story about if Max Gaines at All-American had bought out DC
                instead of the other way around. If someone else ran DC or if
                Fawcett were still in the comic book business, then maybe they'd get
                a fair shake?

                Hey, Paul Dini, Alan Burnett, prove me wrong, why don't ya?
                Darci
              • skeletors_hood
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
                  I don't think that it's really a matter of DC not appreciating the
                  Marvel family, so much as it's a case where they have never really
                  been successful in recreating the popularity the Marvel books enjoyed
                  before they were absorbed by DC. After years of trying, I think that
                  DC just stopped trying so hard, hioping new stories here and there
                  would make the lightning strike again. I must admit, I liked the
                  Trials of Shazam, but DC needs to put the Marvel family a bit more
                  forward, like on their animated movie list, or live action.

                  Speaking of companies DC bought up, I haven't seen any of the
                  Milestone characters running around lately. Only Static enjoyed any
                  sort of popularity, mostly due to his animated series and appearances
                  on Justice League.

                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 1, 2008
                      The older, World War II era heroes being replaced by newer, different
                      versions in the present I don't have quite as much of a problem
                      with. . . many of them were used in World War II era stories (usually
                      by Roy Thomas) as who they were, but in the present it makes sense that
                      they'd often be replaced by younger, newer versions.

                      Captain Marvel and others from Fawcett were brought into the "present"
                      when DC reintroduced the Marvel family and such. . . yeah, maybe it was
                      around 30 years ago, but that's still part of the "resent" in
                      DC/comicbook time. Same thing applies to Blue Beetle, Question, and
                      the other Charlton heroes.

                      Maybe it's too much to ask of DC to not just kill a bunch of them off
                      or alter many of them so that they barely resemble who they once
                      were. . . there have been efforts to use them, but maybe many younger
                      fans just didn't have the same feelings for them some of us older fans
                      did.

                      --- In DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, Darci <darci386@...> wrote:

                      XMScity,
                      Unfortunately, I think just about all of the them? For a historical
                      perspective, DC bought Quality Comics in 1956. Amongst the characters
                      in that purchase were the Blackhawks, Doll Man, Lady Luck, Manhunter,
                      Midnight, Miss America (Joan Dale), Phantom Lady, Plastic Man, the Ray,
                      Uncle Sam, and Wildfire (Carol Vance Martin).
                      Darci
                    • Allen Smith
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 2, 2008
                        Hmm....I can see the headline now:  "DC Comics, where heroes go to die!!"

                             Allen Smith

                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 2, 2008
                          Yeah, but some of them eventually come back after a while, just to
                          confuse us even more.

                          --- In DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, Allen Smith
                          <metron12001@...> wrote:

                          > Hmm....I can see the headline now:  "DC Comics, where heroes go to
                          die!!"

                          >      Allen Smith

                        • Karin
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 2, 2008
                            DC Comics or Marvel??

                            I recall the Foolkiller series, where at least a dozen characters got
                            killed off. Then there have been many other cross-overs where
                            wholesale slaughter of characters has happened.

                            Which company has killed off the most heroes and villains? Both Marvel
                            and DC have bought characters from other companies. Where are they
                            now?? All dead?

                            How many heroes and villains are on Version 2.0 or later?? Amazing
                            Spider-Man was one of the first comic books where characters were
                            being killed off (Captain Stacy, Gwen Stacy, Green Goblin (for 22
                            years). Then it became the standard for goosing sales--kill a
                            character, sell more comics!
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 2, 2008
                              Karin,
                              Your post also reminds me that Marvel has Scourge, who killed off many, many minor characters.

                              The only other company I can think of that Marvel bought was Malibu, which resulted in the end of the Ultraverse.  At least, I think they're all gone?  Any other companies?
                              Thanks,
                              Darci

                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 2, 2008
                                Joe Quesada killed Spider-man when he had him make a deal with a demon to let his 200
                                years old aunt to live another day.
                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 2, 2008
                                  Bankruptcy courts?
                                • Daniel Ross
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 2, 2008
                                    I forget his name but he killed the golden age  Atom Hourman and a few others too I think he was from the Future

                                    I recall the Foolkiller series, where at least a dozen characters got
                                    killed off. Then there have been many other cross-overs where
                                    wholesale slaughter of characters has happened.

                                    Which company has killed off the most heroes and villains? Both Marvel
                                    and DC have bought characters from other companies. Where are they
                                    now?? All dead?

                                    How many heroes and villains are on Version 2.0 or later?? Amazing
                                    Spider-Man was one of the first comic books where characters were
                                    being killed off (Captain Stacy, Gwen Stacy, Green Goblin (for 22
                                    years). Then it became the standard for goosing sales--kill a
                                    character, sell more comics!

                                    Search 1000's of available singles in your area at the new Yahoo!7 Dating. Get Started.
                                  • Daniel Ross
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Nov 2, 2008
                                      How many bad guys Green Arrow Killed I have lost count I know he did kill the Green Lantern when the green Lantern went Insane Total Nutjob But he back from the Dead now Back as a good guy

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Nov 2, 2008
                                        Hey, who bought Valiant comics? Anyone know who owns Turok, Ninjak,
                                        Magnus Robot Fighter, etc?

                                        wrote:

                                        > Karin,
                                        > Your post also reminds me that Marvel has Scourge, who killed off
                                        many, many minor characters.

                                        > The only other company I can think of that Marvel bought was
                                        Malibu, which resulted in the end of the Ultraverse.  At least, I
                                        think they're all gone?  Any other companies?
                                        > Thanks,
                                        > Darci
                                        >

                                        > ________________________________

                                      • Allen Smith
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                                          I'd guess that DC has killed off the most heroes.  Marvel never bought off the Charlton, Quality, and other heroes from other companies, so they never had non-Marvel universe heroes to kill off for the cheap drama.

                                               Allen Smith

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                                            I just read the entry for Spider-man the Clone Saga in the Marvel Database.  That and One More Day gave me a headache.  I mentioned in the group once before that I wished they had left him at 25 with Mary-Jane and with child.  You are allowed to kill for you family.

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                                              Do you mean Extant from the "Zero Hour: Crisis In Time" mini-series
                                              from 1994?

                                              --- In DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Ross
                                              <standinggreenman@...> wrote:

                                              > I forget his name but he killed the golden age  Atom Hourman and
                                              a few others too I think he was from the Future

                                              Yahoo!7 Dating. Get Started http://au.dating.yahoo.com/?
                                              cid=53151&pid=1011

                                            • Daniel Ross
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Nov 3, 2008
                                                Yes! you have hit the nail on the head so how many did he kill any way?