Re: [DCU] Re: Major Problem With New Batman Films

  • Daniel Ross
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 31, 2008
      who?

      --- On Sat, 30/8/08, warriorlotdk@... <warriorlotdk@...> wrote:
      From: warriorlotdk@... <warriorlotdk@...>
      Subject: Re: [DCU] Re: Major Problem With New Batman Films
      To: DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com

      Harold died in the Hush story line.  Head shot.

      Win a MacBook Air or iPod touch with Yahoo!7- Find out more.
    • Lac_Hall
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 1, 2008
        I would not say much in the big picture, but as you know, Bruce Wayne
        chose the bat persona in the first place to strike fear in the
        hearts of his enemies - so to speak.
        Also, I seem to remember that the bat suit in the new film was
        already made, he just tweaked it a bit.
        The film Batman Forever was on terrestrial TV the other day and there
        is a scene in that where after Asking Alfred Pennyworth if all the
        bat suits were destroyed, he is told the only survival is the one
        with the sonar modifications he invented but he still needs to test
        it. Bruce Wayne responds that he will test the suit he invented that
        night.
        As to what I said before, I know he is helped nowadays, but when it
        all started in the comics by Mr. B. Kane, Bruce Wayne did most of it
        himself.
        Talking of the characters history, I take it everyone knows about
        the fact that Lex (Alexander) Luthor's Grandfather Wallace Luthor
        knew or was acquainted with Bruce Wayne's Grandfather in
        Metropolis/Gotham high society?

        --- In DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, Dan Clark
        <dirkfogo@...> wrote:

        > Does it really matter if the batmobile looks batish?  I think the
        new movies are shooting for a more realistic approach to
        batman/bruce wayne.  What better way to terrorize gotham's criminals
        than with a army concept designed to be used in the most hellish
        conditions.

      • rob newton
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 1, 2008

          anyone reading the spectre part of final crisis? great start not so much for doctor light
          Harold died in the Hush story line.  Head shot.

          Win a MacBook Air or iPod touch with Yahoo!7- Find out more.

        • ben miller
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 2, 2008
            What's the gist of the series? Hard to tell from the previews...

            == ben

            i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
            Join me

            To: DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com
            From: rnewtonjr@...
            Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 14:33:29 -0400

            anyone reading the spectre part of final crisis? great start not so much for doctor light
            Harold died in the Hush story line.  Head shot.

            Win a MacBook Air or iPod touch with Yahoo!7- Find out more.

          • Denny Cole
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 4, 2008
              I have no major problems with the way the films have him get his
              weapons and costumes.
              But I don't like the way the current film Batmobile looks.

              wrote:

              > Does it really matter if the batmobile looks batish?  I think the
              new movies are shooting for a more realistic approach to batman/bruce
              wayne.  What better way to terrorize gotham's criminals than with a
              army concept designed to be used in the most hellish conditions.

            • primitivx
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 4, 2008
                The current Batmobile is a work of genius. Batman does not need a sport car, he needs a
                Tactical Assault Vehicle. The new Batmobile closely recall the one in The Dark Knight
                Returns/Strikes Again saga. It is a weapon, a stealth vehicle, and an armor. It is perfect for
                Batman.
              • primitivx
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 4, 2008
                  Also, notice in the last 2 Batman movies that Bruce Wayne takes a very pragmatic approach to
                  his gadgets. He is not a mad designer guy trying to make a fashion point like in Burton's
                  movies. His costume is made to be efficient. In TDK, he realizes that he is too slow and have
                  Lucius redesign the costume to be more efficient, even if it is less protective. Still, he wants
                  to bring terror to his enemies and must have some elements to do that.

                  If I had the a Thumbler after me, I would be scared. And the Batcycle is really a genius vehicle
                  as well, and well incorporated with the Thumbler.

                  I am an avid Batmobile collector and I like them all.

                  --- In DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "primitivx" <primitivx@...> wrote:

                  > The current Batmobile is a work of genius. Batman does not need a sport car, he needs a
                  > Tactical Assault Vehicle. The new Batmobile closely recall the one in The Dark Knight
                  > Returns/Strikes Again saga. It is a weapon, a stealth vehicle, and an armor. It is perfect for
                  > Batman.

                • Lac_Hall
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 8, 2008
                    It might have been more interesting if we had seen Mr. B. Wayne
                    overseeing it's construction, perhaps even doing the odd bit himself.
                    I know he is a billionaire and therefore does not need to get his
                    hands dirty as it were, but because Batman is his secret identity he
                    would do work himself on his creations in order to keep them secret.

                    <primitivx@...> wrote:

                    > Also, notice in the last 2 Batman movies that Bruce Wayne takes a
                    very pragmatic approach to
                    > his gadgets. He is not a mad designer guy trying to make a fashion
                    point like in Burton's
                    > movies. His costume is made to be efficient. In TDK, he realizes
                    that he is too slow and have
                    > Lucius redesign the costume to be more efficient, even if it is
                    less protective. Still, he wants
                    > to bring terror to his enemies and must have some elements to do
                    that.

                    > If I had the a Thumbler after me, I would be scared. And the
                    Batcycle is really a genius vehicle
                    > as well, and well incorporated with the Thumbler.
                    >
                    > I am an avid Batmobile collector and I like them all.
                    >
                    > --- In DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "primitivx"
                    <primitivx@> wrote:

                    > > The current Batmobile is a work of genius. Batman does not need
                    a sport car, he needs a
                    > > Tactical Assault Vehicle. The new Batmobile closely recall the
                    one in The Dark Knight
                    > > Returns/Strikes Again saga. It is a weapon, a stealth vehicle,
                    and an armor. It is perfect for
                    > > Batman.

                  • primitivx
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 8, 2008
                      --- In DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "Lac_Hall" <lac_hall@...> wrote:

                      > It might have been more interesting if we had seen Mr. B. Wayne
                      > overseeing it's construction, perhaps even doing the odd bit himself.
                      > I know he is a billionaire and therefore does not need to get his
                      > hands dirty as it were, but because Batman is his secret identity he
                      > would do work himself on his creations in order to keep them secret.

                      I don't see the interest in seeing Bruce Wayne design his gadgets in the movie. It does not
                      help the story in any way and would cut time on action where he actually uses his gadgets.

                      In Batman Begins, we see Bruce develop his armor, his mask, and his Batarangs. We see him
                      use the memory cloth to make his cape. We also see his training, etc. These are movies
                      meant to be seen by more than just the core fans you know.

                      Also, how many times do we see Bruce develop his gadgets in the comic books??
                    • Lac_Hall
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 9, 2008
                        Please correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember that
                        he found the bat suit already designed as some sort of battle
                        outfit, he simply tweaked it a bit.
                        As to him designing the car himself, it is just that in the
                        comics in the early days that is what he did.
                        I know he did that with the BatPlane, it was stolen by crooks
                        and he had to make a new one and get back the original somehow.

                        <primitivx@...> wrote:

                        > --- In DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "Lac_Hall"
                        <lac_hall@> wrote:

                        > > It might have been more interesting if we had seen Mr. B. Wayne
                        > > overseeing it's construction, perhaps even doing the odd bit
                        himself.
                        > > I know he is a billionaire and therefore does not need to get his
                        > > hands dirty as it were, but because Batman is his secret
                        identity he
                        > > would do work himself on his creations in order to keep them
                        secret.

                        > I don't see the interest in seeing Bruce Wayne design his gadgets
                        in the movie. It does not
                        > help the story in any way and would cut time on action where he
                        actually uses his gadgets.

                        > In Batman Begins, we see Bruce develop his armor, his mask, and
                        his Batarangs. We see him
                        > use the memory cloth to make his cape. We also see his training,
                        etc. These are movies
                        > meant to be seen by more than just the core fans you know.
                        >
                        > Also, how many times do we see Bruce develop his gadgets in the
                        comic books??

                      • primitivx
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 9, 2008
                          --- In DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "Lac_Hall" <lac_hall@...> wrote:

                          > Please correct me if I am wrong, but I seem to remember that
                          > he found the bat suit already designed as some sort of battle
                          > outfit, he simply tweaked it a bit.
                          > As to him designing the car himself, it is just that in the
                          > comics in the early days that is what he did.
                          > I know he did that with the BatPlane, it was stolen by crooks
                          > and he had to make a new one and get back the original somehow.

                          The batsuit was not all done before hand. Batman used pre-existing parts from Lucius,
                          and other ones he designed and had fabricated all around the world. He had a
                          conversation about it with Alfred, when the mask he got were brittle.

                          In TDK, Bruce gives Lucius the drawings for his new batsuit. Bruce also designed the sonar
                          computers to watch over Gotham.

                          Batman uses a mix of design, existing/experimental technologies, and his own inventions.
                          Whatever works for him. Don't forget that he is Bruce Wayne by Day, and Batman fighting
                          crime by night. This does not give him a lot of time to even change the oil on the
                          Batmobile.