Re: [dc_comics_uncensored] Re: Is Nothing New?

  • duncan berry
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 11, 2006
      The robins in continuity not counting dark knight returns other future or pre crisis story's are

      1 dick grayson now nightwing
      2 jason todd killed by the joker but now back as the red hood
      3 tim drake
      4 Stephanie brown only for a few months to replace tim killed in war games
      5 tim drake  back again

      From: "Richard J." <Dick Grayson has been Robin since the 1980s.>>

      So how many Robins have there been including the throw-away dead Robins??
      Seems like they must be up to 5 or 6??

      >>And I suppose the reason you don't hear about Lance anymore is that it was
      simply a throw-away story, the same as the guys on Bonanza finding that true
      love and she is dead by the end of the episode.>>

      The love-at-first-sight on Bonanza was a lot like a Red Shirt on Star Trek;
      soon to be dead.

      >I'm not a Batman fan either, but it is hardly encouraging to see plots and
      stories in old books that end in one or two issues just dragged out and
      over-sensationalized and promoted years later as a different, groundbreaking
      story.>>

      Great research. I appreciate the historical perspective, especially since it
      really fell through the cracks back when Jason Todd? got killed. So who was
      the first Robin? Apparently Dick Grayson was #2?

    • Vampy
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 11, 2006
        From: "duncan berry" <> 1 dick grayson now nightwing
        > 2 jason todd killed by the joker but now back as the red hood
        > 3 tim drake
        > 4 Stephanie brown only for a few months to replace tim killed in war games
        > 5 tim drake back again

        What about Lance, the 1-issue Robin? and how many other Robins are there
        "outside" of continuity?

        Seems to me like it is time to have one Robin live to adult-hood (besides
        Nightwing) and let the guy go off on his own. Let Batman buy a cat or a dog
        if he needs companionship. Maybe he can start patrolling Gotham on a horse.
      • duncan berry
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 11, 2006
          well since in comic timeline Batman has only been around for 10-15 years there hasn't been time for any robins beside nightwing to reach adulthood tim is 17 i think so he getting there .
          As for the "first" robin brave and bold story's never took place inside DC continuity and were separate

          From: "duncan berry" <> 1 dick grayson now nightwing
          > 2 jason todd killed by the joker but now back as the red hood
          > 3 tim drake
          > 4 Stephanie brown only for a few months to replace tim killed in war games
          > 5 tim drake back again

          What about Lance, the 1-issue Robin? and how many other Robins are there
          "outside" of continuity?

          Seems to me like it is time to have one Robin live to adult-hood (besides
          Nightwing) and let the guy go off on his own. Let Batman buy a cat or a dog
          if he needs companionship. Maybe he can start patrolling Gotham on a horse.

        • Richard J.
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 12, 2006
            No research at all, really. I just bought a handful of old Brave and
            Bold reprints and there it was.

            sonofagun.

            Dick Grayson was the first Robin. This kid, Lance, is basically a
            prototype of Jason Todd. He came after Dick Grayson-Robin, wanted to
            be accepted, but had questionable morals, and in the end tried to
            prove himself and died in the process.

            --- In dc_comics_uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "Vampy" <vampire63@...>
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 12, 2006
              In this story, Lance isn't so much "another Robin" but he is a
              predecessor to the Jason Todd saga, killing off a ward of Bruce
              Wayne's who is trying to become Robin and doesn't succeed.

              So Jason Todd has been brought back? Fine.

              Unlikely Lance will ever return, again, even if this story was "still
              in the DC history" its a forgotten story, but still, the groundwork
              for what was to become -- Jason Todd: will he live or die? -- is
              there.