Re: [dc_comics_uncensored] Re: Is Nothing New?

  • Vampy
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 10, 2006
      From: "Richard J." <In Brave and Bold #83, cover price 12 cents, so it is
      over thirty
      years old, Dick Grayson as Robin leaps in front of the bullets or
      gunfire and falls off the deck.>>

      Funny that it was not very popular or well known or discussed much back when
      Jason Todd got killed temporarily. I am not a major Batman fan, but as a
      casual reader I had never heard of the Lance/Robin death. So Dick Grayson
      survived (isn't he Nightwing?)?

      >if Bruce had a previous ward named Lance learn his identity and die, then
      he would be most hesitant to adopt Jason Todd and have the SAME thing
      happen, then turn around and take on Tim Drake.>>

      I never got into the sidekicks, even when I was a kid. Now it just seems
      like clear-cut child abuse and I wonder why the comic book companies haven't
      devised a brighter way of getting kids involved in the stories without
      getting them killed.
    • Richard J.
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 11, 2006
        Dick Grayson has been Robin since the 1980s.

        And I suppose the reason you don't hear about Lance anymore is that
        it was simply a throw-away story, the same as the guys on Bonanza
        finding that true love and she is dead by the end of the episode.

        I'm not a Batman fan either, but it is hardly encouraging to see
        plots and stories in old books that end in one or two issues just
        dragged out and over-sensationalized and promoted years later as a
        different, groundbreaking story.

        --- In dc_comics_uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "Vampy" <vampire63@...>
        wrote:

        > From: "Richard J." <In Brave and Bold #83, cover price 12 cents, so
        it is
        > over thirty
        > years old, Dick Grayson as Robin leaps in front of the bullets or
        > gunfire and falls off the deck.>>
        >
        > Funny that it was not very popular or well known or discussed much
        back when
        > Jason Todd got killed temporarily. I am not a major Batman fan, but
        as a
        > casual reader I had never heard of the Lance/Robin death. So Dick
        Grayson
        > survived (isn't he Nightwing?)?
        >
        > >if Bruce had a previous ward named Lance learn his identity and
        die, then
        > he would be most hesitant to adopt Jason Todd and have the SAME
        thing
        > happen, then turn around and take on Tim Drake.>>
        >
        > I never got into the sidekicks, even when I was a kid. Now it just
        seems
        > like clear-cut child abuse and I wonder why the comic book
        companies haven't
        > devised a brighter way of getting kids involved in the stories
        without
        > getting them killed.

      • Vampy
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 11, 2006
          From: "Richard J." <Dick Grayson has been Robin since the 1980s.>>

          So how many Robins have there been including the throw-away dead Robins??
          Seems like they must be up to 5 or 6??

          >>And I suppose the reason you don't hear about Lance anymore is that it was
          simply a throw-away story, the same as the guys on Bonanza finding that true
          love and she is dead by the end of the episode.>>

          The love-at-first-sight on Bonanza was a lot like a Red Shirt on Star Trek;
          soon to be dead.

          >I'm not a Batman fan either, but it is hardly encouraging to see plots and
          stories in old books that end in one or two issues just dragged out and
          over-sensationalized and promoted years later as a different, groundbreaking
          story.>>

          Great research. I appreciate the historical perspective, especially since it
          really fell through the cracks back when Jason Todd? got killed. So who was
          the first Robin? Apparently Dick Grayson was #2?
        • duncan berry
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 11, 2006
            The robins in continuity not counting dark knight returns other future or pre crisis story's are

            1 dick grayson now nightwing
            2 jason todd killed by the joker but now back as the red hood
            3 tim drake
            4 Stephanie brown only for a few months to replace tim killed in war games
            5 tim drake  back again

            From: "Richard J." <Dick Grayson has been Robin since the 1980s.>>

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 11, 2006
              From: "duncan berry" <> 1 dick grayson now nightwing
              > 2 jason todd killed by the joker but now back as the red hood
              > 3 tim drake
              > 4 Stephanie brown only for a few months to replace tim killed in war games
              > 5 tim drake back again

              What about Lance, the 1-issue Robin? and how many other Robins are there
              "outside" of continuity?

              Seems to me like it is time to have one Robin live to adult-hood (besides
              Nightwing) and let the guy go off on his own. Let Batman buy a cat or a dog
              if he needs companionship. Maybe he can start patrolling Gotham on a horse.
            • duncan berry
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 11, 2006
                well since in comic timeline Batman has only been around for 10-15 years there hasn't been time for any robins beside nightwing to reach adulthood tim is 17 i think so he getting there .
                As for the "first" robin brave and bold story's never took place inside DC continuity and were separate

                From: "duncan berry" <> 1 dick grayson now nightwing

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 12, 2006
                  No research at all, really. I just bought a handful of old Brave and
                  Bold reprints and there it was.

                  sonofagun.

                  Dick Grayson was the first Robin. This kid, Lance, is basically a
                  prototype of Jason Todd. He came after Dick Grayson-Robin, wanted to
                  be accepted, but had questionable morals, and in the end tried to
                  prove himself and died in the process.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 12, 2006
                    In this story, Lance isn't so much "another Robin" but he is a
                    predecessor to the Jason Todd saga, killing off a ward of Bruce
                    Wayne's who is trying to become Robin and doesn't succeed.

                    So Jason Todd has been brought back? Fine.

                    Unlikely Lance will ever return, again, even if this story was "still
                    in the DC history" its a forgotten story, but still, the groundwork
                    for what was to become -- Jason Todd: will he live or die? -- is
                    there.