Re: Is Nothing New?

  • Richard J.
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 10, 2006
      In Brave and Bold #83, cover price 12 cents, so it is over thirty
      years old, Dick Grayson as Robin leaps in front of the bullets or
      gunfire and falls off the deck.

      Bruce Wayne's other ward, Lance, says that Robin's cape saved him or
      something, must have been something bullet-proof.

      I guess you do have to think that if Bruce had a previous ward named
      Lance learn his identity and die, then he would be most hesitant to
      adopt Jason Todd and have the SAME thing happen, then turn around and
      take on Tim Drake.

      Jason and Lance were redheads. Wonder why that was?

      If your a redhead you won't make a good hero?

      It's just all the hoopla over Jason Todd all those years ago and here
      was the same story in a one issue story about ten years earlier.

      --- In dc_comics_uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "Vampy" <vampire63@...>
      wrote:

      > So basically two Robins get killed in the same issue? How many
      Robins have
      > gotten killed so far? I read that they ret-conned one of the dead
      Robins and
      > now that one is a villain?
      >
      > All that ret-conning and killing off Robins is what turned me off
      to comics.
      > Once Robin got killed, that should have been the end of it. What
      kind of
      > loser would keep recruiting new kids? Pedophile?
      >
      > It is creepy no matter how you slice it.
      >
      > If Bruce Wayne wants to help orphans, then he should open some kind
      of
      > orphanage. He can include martial arts classes if he thinks kids
      need that.

      > I sure am glad I don't buy new comics any more.

    • Vampy
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 10, 2006
        From: "Richard J." <In Brave and Bold #83, cover price 12 cents, so it is
        over thirty
        years old, Dick Grayson as Robin leaps in front of the bullets or
        gunfire and falls off the deck.>>

        Funny that it was not very popular or well known or discussed much back when
        Jason Todd got killed temporarily. I am not a major Batman fan, but as a
        casual reader I had never heard of the Lance/Robin death. So Dick Grayson
        survived (isn't he Nightwing?)?

        >if Bruce had a previous ward named Lance learn his identity and die, then
        he would be most hesitant to adopt Jason Todd and have the SAME thing
        happen, then turn around and take on Tim Drake.>>

        I never got into the sidekicks, even when I was a kid. Now it just seems
        like clear-cut child abuse and I wonder why the comic book companies haven't
        devised a brighter way of getting kids involved in the stories without
        getting them killed.
      • Richard J.
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 11, 2006
          Dick Grayson has been Robin since the 1980s.

          And I suppose the reason you don't hear about Lance anymore is that
          it was simply a throw-away story, the same as the guys on Bonanza
          finding that true love and she is dead by the end of the episode.

          I'm not a Batman fan either, but it is hardly encouraging to see
          plots and stories in old books that end in one or two issues just
          dragged out and over-sensationalized and promoted years later as a
          different, groundbreaking story.

          wrote:

          > From: "Richard J." <In Brave and Bold #83, cover price 12 cents, so
          it is
          > over thirty
          > years old, Dick Grayson as Robin leaps in front of the bullets or
          > gunfire and falls off the deck.>>
          >
          > Funny that it was not very popular or well known or discussed much
          back when
          > Jason Todd got killed temporarily. I am not a major Batman fan, but
          as a
          > casual reader I had never heard of the Lance/Robin death. So Dick
          Grayson
          > survived (isn't he Nightwing?)?
          >
          > >if Bruce had a previous ward named Lance learn his identity and
          die, then
          > he would be most hesitant to adopt Jason Todd and have the SAME
          thing
          > happen, then turn around and take on Tim Drake.>>
          >
          > I never got into the sidekicks, even when I was a kid. Now it just
          seems
          > like clear-cut child abuse and I wonder why the comic book
          companies haven't
          > devised a brighter way of getting kids involved in the stories
          without
          > getting them killed.

        • Vampy
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 11, 2006
            From: "Richard J." <Dick Grayson has been Robin since the 1980s.>>

            So how many Robins have there been including the throw-away dead Robins??
            Seems like they must be up to 5 or 6??

            >>And I suppose the reason you don't hear about Lance anymore is that it was
            simply a throw-away story, the same as the guys on Bonanza finding that true
            love and she is dead by the end of the episode.>>

            The love-at-first-sight on Bonanza was a lot like a Red Shirt on Star Trek;
            soon to be dead.

            >I'm not a Batman fan either, but it is hardly encouraging to see plots and
            stories in old books that end in one or two issues just dragged out and
            over-sensationalized and promoted years later as a different, groundbreaking
            story.>>

            Great research. I appreciate the historical perspective, especially since it
            really fell through the cracks back when Jason Todd? got killed. So who was
            the first Robin? Apparently Dick Grayson was #2?
          • duncan berry
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 11, 2006
              The robins in continuity not counting dark knight returns other future or pre crisis story's are

              1 dick grayson now nightwing
              2 jason todd killed by the joker but now back as the red hood
              3 tim drake
              4 Stephanie brown only for a few months to replace tim killed in war games
              5 tim drake  back again

              From: "Richard J." <Dick Grayson has been Robin since the 1980s.>>

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 11, 2006
                From: "duncan berry" <> 1 dick grayson now nightwing
                > 2 jason todd killed by the joker but now back as the red hood
                > 3 tim drake
                > 4 Stephanie brown only for a few months to replace tim killed in war games
                > 5 tim drake back again

                What about Lance, the 1-issue Robin? and how many other Robins are there
                "outside" of continuity?

                Seems to me like it is time to have one Robin live to adult-hood (besides
                Nightwing) and let the guy go off on his own. Let Batman buy a cat or a dog
                if he needs companionship. Maybe he can start patrolling Gotham on a horse.
              • duncan berry
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 11, 2006
                  well since in comic timeline Batman has only been around for 10-15 years there hasn't been time for any robins beside nightwing to reach adulthood tim is 17 i think so he getting there .
                  As for the "first" robin brave and bold story's never took place inside DC continuity and were separate

                  From: "duncan berry" <> 1 dick grayson now nightwing

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 12, 2006
                    No research at all, really. I just bought a handful of old Brave and
                    Bold reprints and there it was.

                    sonofagun.

                    Dick Grayson was the first Robin. This kid, Lance, is basically a
                    prototype of Jason Todd. He came after Dick Grayson-Robin, wanted to
                    be accepted, but had questionable morals, and in the end tried to
                    prove himself and died in the process.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 12, 2006
                      In this story, Lance isn't so much "another Robin" but he is a
                      predecessor to the Jason Todd saga, killing off a ward of Bruce
                      Wayne's who is trying to become Robin and doesn't succeed.

                      So Jason Todd has been brought back? Fine.

                      Unlikely Lance will ever return, again, even if this story was "still
                      in the DC history" its a forgotten story, but still, the groundwork
                      for what was to become -- Jason Todd: will he live or die? -- is
                      there.