Re: [dc_comics_uncensored] Does Anybody Remember Camelot 3000?

  • Vampy
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3, 2006
      From: "Richard J." <> These are comic books. I am not interested in the
      relationship
      > aspects, gay or straight.

      Because comic book companies are now owned by gigantic media companies, the
      actual comic books will be increasingly used as politically correct
      propaganda tools so that the big companies can say "We're doing our part to
      indoctrinate the children."

      So the gay/lesbian angles will be covered in a very respectful,
      holier-than-thou style so that even the Pope will be getting a subscription.
    • Peter Parady
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3, 2006
        I recall it, but not fondly.  It was pretty horrible, for some reason I can't recall I associate with the New Guardians, anyone else?

        "Richard J." <lightoller_ch@...> wrote:
        I saw none of this series, but I would see twenty years ago in an
        article about subject matter in comic books and how it was changing
        from "Help, Superman! Save Me!" that used to be in comic books.

        One plot, it seems involved a woman who was betraying the good guys
        so an evil sorcerer would turn her into a man so she could be with
        the woman she loved.

        Lesbianism or transexuality, this is more of how something like this
        should be dealt with in comic books.

        Comic books are a fantasy realm, whether Superman, Casper or Archie
        Andrews.

        Just putting a character out there who goes "I'm gay" is as dull as
        the teen romance books were thirty or forty years ago.

        Give him a boyfriend? Show the turmoils of that relationship and how
        distrustful things can get?

        Boring!

        Innuendo, suggestiveness, wink?

        Dullsville.

        These are comic books. I am not interested in the relationship
        aspects, gay or straight.

        Twenty years ago, adultery was hinted at between Saturn Girl and
        Timberwolf when they were stuck on the asteroid.

        It went nowhere. Nothing came of it.

        Speculation about Heroman dating Mr. Super? It's going to go the same
        way.

        Make somebody like Wildfire in the Legion of Superheroes gay, or
        Rogue in the Xmen, then you might stand a chance.

        Deny them as teen aged angst, gay or straight, has had to relate, or
        was wanted to relate to, Wildfire or Rogue.

        But if it is just going to be thought balloons checking out some same-
        sex ass, or "I'm gay. Have you got a problem with it?" not only is it
        dull, but it is covered, and recovered, territory.

        "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." - George  Bernard Shaw

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • e s

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 4, 2006
              I've never seen Power Company, but as you have described it, it was
              short-lived.

              So was Northstar's "revelation" that he was gay.

              I recall a supporting character, after Northstar, that was in the Hulk
              was supposed to be gay, and what I saw of it, he kept asking if
              someone didn't want to be around him "is it because I'm gay? Is it
              because I'm gay?"

              And finally it backfired and the other fellow said "nope, I just don't
              feel like going to the party, whether you are there or not. Now do YOU
              have a problem with THAT?"

              Black characters were placed in comic books (well, even that was done
              with incredible difficulty, then and now, now wasn't it?) and they
              were at least there.

              Unless it was constantly stated that Blue Jay was gay in the JLI, or
              Colossus in the Xmen, no one would know.

              There was even the fellow in The Watchmen that they attempted to
              insinuate was gay (as well as the Silhouette, tho nothing was shown of
              that).

              This reminds me of the way The Simpsons has attempted to deal with
              homosexuality and they have all gone rather bonkers, from Harvey
              Fierstein's Carl kissing Homer (which is a wonderful episode about
              what makes a man, from baldness to self-security, but in no way
              reflects on sexual orientation), to John Waters "do you have a problem
              with it?" episode to Homer moving in with two gay guys (I couldnt
              follow what that one was after at all. Are they trying to say Homer is
              gay? Do they want him to be gay?)

              Storm in the Xmen worked, even after attempts to ruin her by making
              her new wave.

              I guess we'll just have to wait and see if 20 years from now, some
              director will make a movie about this Power Company and if it will be
              as successful or noteworthy as the Xmen movie has been.

              --- In dc_comics_uncensored@yahoogroups.com, e s <e_r_s_1966@...>

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 4, 2006
                Oh, yes. I had completely forgotten about them. And whatever that
                fellows name was.

                Black characters would be revived, and tho they never DID anything
                but complain and quit (Tyroc, Black Lightning, Falcon) when they
                reappeared, everyone who read them originally would remember them.

                Now I don't know if anyone will attempt to revive this fellow from
                the New Guardians, or the New Guardians period.

                What I remember about him was the pitiful attempt to show limp-
                wristedness in the book. I mean, its a still medium, nothing moves,
                and they were trying to show movement.

                This is why Jericho in the New Teen Titans was never impressive
                either with his sign-off, the letter J. To sign J requires movement
                and no one ever could tell what he was doing with that extended pinky
                finger.

                --- In dc_comics_uncensored@yahoogroups.com, Peter Parady