A newbie question

  • adv913
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2005
      I recently began collecting comics, and have a question I just can't
      figure out.

      There are 2 series of DC superheor groups: JSA and JLA

      Can someone please explain to me the differences/similairties between
      the two series of books?
    • Glenn Moss
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 2005
        --- In dc_comics_uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "adv913" <adv913@y...>
        wrote:

        > I recently began collecting comics, and have a question I just can't
        > figure out.
        >
        > There are 2 series of DC superheor groups: JSA and JLA
        >
        > Can someone please explain to me the differences/similairties
        between
        > the two series of books?

      • Glenn Moss
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2005
          Oops... hit send before I wrote my reply.

          Yes the JSA (Justice Society of America) is a seperate group from the
          JLA (Justice League of America).

          The JSA is the older of the two groups, comprised of golden age heroes
          and some recent revisions of old characters. It began in the late
          30's and was revived by DC in the 60's.

          The JLA was created when the Silver Age began in the early 60's and
          was a "modern" version of the JSA. The biggest difference was that
          the JLA had both Batman and Superman as members where the JSA did not.

          It was also part of the beginning of the Earth I and Earth II multiple
          earths in the DC comics universe that ended in Crisis on Infinite
          Earths.

          Hope this helps...

          Glenn

        • LSW092752@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 16, 2005
            The JSA were the original DC heroes from the 40's and 50's, pre-Silver Age. The JLA were the heroes after the Silver Age. They had the same superhero name as the 40's and 50's characters, and in most cases similar if not the same powers, but with different secret i.d.s, and the origins were different. In simple terms, a redo.