858Re: Topic Heroes

  • aerotendo
    Jan 1, 2007
      Good points to all and I think that for the most part, people either
      fall into two categories. 1. Shocked briefly and then continue on with
      life or 2. Shocked, think about it, and then get outraged before they
      possibly cry out about it on some personal level.
      I fall into the first category for the most part and I've been reading
      comics for over 20 years so there really isn't much that they can do
      at this point to shock or surprise me to a great extent. It is like
      going to the movies... you know that most of them will have 'happy'
      endings (depending on the movie) vs the ones from overseas where
      whatever the ending has to be, will be.
      Comics are different though as they are continuous stories in progress
      otherwise there wouldn't be any more stories to tell and that'd end
      the comic. Some comics can't have endings and there are some that get
      shut down before they can come to an ending for some reason or another.
      So you could say that comics are either more like real life, unending
      and to quote Quantum Leap "Every life you touch, touches another life
      and that life touches another..." So, in that respect each life a
      character touches in the comic has a effect on everything and everyone
      around them. Case in point... Superboy/Kon-el's passing touched a
      bunch of lifes and spread out to include others that you thought would
      never get anywhere near it. The other way is like any other
      illustrated story telling like Manga where even most of them don't
      ever really 'end' such as Ranma 1/2 just because there's a happy
      ending doesn't mean that life will stop at that point, it just means
      that is where we've chosen to stop paying attention and go on to
      something else... content that we're satisfied that from that point
      everything will go right for that person(s) in the story.

      So, whether a character changes religion peacefully, gets transformed
      into a demon by trickery, or suddenly announces their sexual
      preference... it should all be taken as what it really is. People
      choosing through their own mind to be what they want to be, not
      because they thought *you* would want them to be that way.

      I've heard stories of people striking soap opera actors because of
      some role they played, so I certainly hope that no one would do that
      to a comic book character should they become flesh somehow, someday
      just because of something that some writers decided they should do...
      Silly huh? :) I know we all will become immersed in their roles and
      lives, and because they've been around for so long it feels as if the
      characters are real and that we should have some say or reaction to
      what happens to them or what they say. And I totally agree, as there
      are dozens of characters in comics and tv shows that I would hate to
      see anything negative happen to them and would write strong letters to
      those in charge (which would be like writing to a god if anything
      happened to our loved ones or friends) to change things for the
      better. So yeah... religion and life and existance all go hand-in-hand
      but don't ever let things get too out of control. That's all I'm saying.

      --- In DC_Comics_uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "Richard J."
      <lightoller_ch@...> wrote:

      > I'm in about a half dozen comic book groups, and this seems to be the
      > only one that gets posts defending Saddam Hussein and looking for
      > other gay comic book readers and looking for other swinging comic
      > book readers (wow, that's a thought) and for Supergirl and Wonder
      > Woman to fight to the death.
      >
      > Interesting, I must say, so let's try a different approach.
      >
      > Now we get the bulk of our heroes, considerably pampered, so young
      > readers can imagine their own lives thru the hero, or we get those
      > ridiculous "I'm from the wrong side of the streets, I've had hard
      > knocks all my life" heroes, who likewise turn around and get taken in
      > by a mysterious financial benefactor.
      >
      > Heroes (even thirty years ago and before that) have always been free
      > to ascend their soapbox and spout their doctrine.
      >
      > "Freedom for all! Treat Everyone the same! Say 'no' to
      > discrimination! Everybody has the same right!"
      >
      > Basically stuff as light and fluffy as Ward and June Cleaver's world.
      >
      > Yes, its nice to say let's treat everyone the same, but we know we
      > don't do it!
      >
      > We disliked classmates in school, we dislike our bosses on the job,
      > we really dislike that person in the car who just cut us off.
      >
      > We harbor resentment and disdain for other person's behavior and
      > attitudes.
      >
      > Before I ask this, I want everyone to bear in mind that the bulk of
      > my 'ground-breaking characters' were nothing more than tokens in my
      > mind.
      >
      > For every black character, there were a 1000 whites.
      >
      > For every female, there were a 1000 males.
      >
      > Every female spouting feminism would be swept off her feet by a
      > bulking male hero, who would make her titter, or she would bitch at
      > him in an incredible manner that suggested it was her time of the
      > month.
      >
      > I was going to propose political heroes or religious heroes, but
      > unfortunately, 100% of these characters are written by non-religious
      > writers who go online to get information about the religion or they
      > offer a self-parody of politics.
      >
      > But then we wouldn't want Jerry Falwell to offer up his own comic
      > book super team, would we?
      >
      > If it was well written, wouldn't we be in a quandry?
      >
      > Back in the 1970s, both Archie comics and Dennis the Menace would
      > offer religious comic books. Neither caused any harm.
      >
      > I wouldn't have minded comic books with fleshed out characters,
      > explaining Buddhism, Islam or Hinduism, or even Judaism.
      >
      > I wouldn't have minded comic books offering characters who are
      > Catholic as well as Lutheran or Baptist.
      >
      > Before someone starts spouting off characters who did fit this bill,
      > they were flashes in the pan, the shock mentality didn't last, and
      > the convictions proved ineffective to the stories.
      >
      > When I was in school, I drew two storybooks, like comic books,
      > ridiculing church going, in a light-hearted way. Growing up
      > fundamentalist (Envision Aunt Esther on 'Sanford & Son') I thought
> [...]
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic