7351"Catwoman" Gets New Job, New Creative Team in October

  • darci386
    Jul 29, 2014
      From http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=53922&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

      Tue, July 8th, 2014 at 9:56am PDT | Updated: July 8th, 2014 at 9:57am

      Albert Ching, Managing Editor

      October certainly looks to be a noteworthy month for DC Comics, with multiple new series launches and new creative teams already announced -- including, as revealed Tuesday by io9, the arrival of new-to-comics writer Genevieve Valentine and artist Garry Brown on "Catwoman."

      "After the dust settles in 'Batman Eternal,' Selina Kyle has discovered she's part of a legacy she never knew before, and heir to the family business," Valentine told io9. "She decides to accept the position, both because she sees a chance to restore a ruined Gotham and because, deep down, Selina's always played power games against herself."

      Even though Catwoman may have good intentions, Valentine stated that it's unlikely she'll be able to stay away from crime -- especially given her new position in life.

      "At the head of a crime family, it's not so much a matter of 'if' as a matter of 'when,'" Valentine said. "That said, the crimes are of a very different nature than her usual; some clandestine larceny here and there is a very different thing from having so many eyes on you and giving the kinds of orders that make the underworld run."

      Though this is Valentine's comic book writing debut, she's written the novels "Mechanique: A Tale of the Circus Tresaulti" and "The Girls at the Kingfisher Club," plus articles for outlets including io9 and The A.V. Club. Brown comes to DC fresh from work at Marvel, including "Iron Patriot" and the upcoming "Edge of Spider-Verse" #4.

      Previous "Catwoman" writer Ann Nocenti moves to the new "Klarion" ongoing series, also announced Tuesday and debuting in October. Valentine and Brown's run on "Catwoman" starts with issue #35, scheduled for release on Oct. 22.

      "Catwoman" art by Garry Brown.

      Discuss this story in CBR's Batman forum.  |  117 Comments

      TAGS:  catwoman, genevieve valentine, garry brown, dc comics

      07-08-2014, 09:06 AM #7

      godisawesome

      Senior Member

      The change is deliberately set up to coincide with CatQueen's arrival as the ruler of the Underworld. And I'm hopeful for some humor being applied to the new BatCat status quo.

      And she's so Falcone's daughter.

      07-08-2014, 09:08 AM #8

      Stormcrow

      Homo Superior

      At last, I can check out Catwoman again. While the writer is still untested, anything is better than Nocenti. And with the Eternal status quo, this should be one exciting new direction for Selina. Garry Brown on art is a pleasant surprise, as well as the fantastic Jae Lee covers. Glad they're moving away from the cheesecake. I was just about done with DC, but this has potential.

      07-08-2014, 09:20 AM #9

      BatGlamorous

      Junior Member

      Stoked. Would have proffered a better known writer, but at this point I'm willing to take literally anybody.

      So is this like Suicide Squad where there will be an "All-New Catwoman #1" in October or will it keep the original numbers?

      07-08-2014, 09:23 AM #12

      ABH-1979

      Bounty Hunting Bat-Mod

      Quote Originally Posted by BatGlamorous

      So is this like Suicide Squad where there will be an "All-New Catwoman #1" in October or will it keep the original numbers?

      The io9 headline says "All-New Catwoman" but I'm not sure if that was simply their choice of title, or if that's the official name. I'm not opposed to a fresh-break and a new #1, though.

      07-08-2014, 09:27 AM #13

      FHIZ

      Shut up, Leonard

      Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979

      The io9 headline says "All-New Catwoman" but I'm not sure if that was simply their choice of title, or if that's the official name. I'm not opposed to a fresh-break and a new #1, though.

      I think they would have said the book was cancelled in August solicits if that was the case, but then again, not like DC hasn't stealth cancelled a Nocenti title before. Who knows though... I think a new #1 would be good, despite the pessimism surrounding that tactic. Just wash away all the stank.

      07-08-2014, 10:00 AM #18

      A_Nominus

      Member

      Don't know much about Valentine but anyone's better than Nocenti at this point.

      07-08-2014, 10:00 AM #19

      CSTowle

      Senior Member

      I like the art, reminds me of Gaydos in "Alias". More facial expression and shading, less cheesecake/butt-posing. Sounds good to me. Not familiar with the writer, but I'll probably give this a shot.

      07-08-2014, 10:11 AM #22

      AlexanderLuthor

      Senior Member

      Quote Originally Posted by A_Nominus

      Don't know much about Valentine but anyone's better than Nocenti at this point.

      Valentine is a very acclaimed writer. Her first novel won the Crawford Award and was nominated for the Nebula Award (for best Fantasy novel). Her other novels have been very well reviewed. This is an inspired choice and just the kind of writers DC should be bringing aboard

      07-08-2014, 10:22 AM #27

      Stormcrow

      Homo Superior

      Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle

      I like the art, reminds me of Gaydos in "Alias". More facial expression and shading, less cheesecake/butt-posing. Sounds good to me. Not familiar with the writer, but I'll probably give this a shot.

      Exactly! New 52 Catwoman had become a bad joke because of the constant focus on cheesecake art and impossible posing, I'm ecstatic for the different art style for this run. And Jae Lee on covers is great, too. He makes her look classy in her business suit and sleek and dangerous as Catwoman.

      Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor

      Valentine is a very acclaimed writer. Her first novel won the Crawford Award and was nominated for the Nebula Award (for best Fantasy novel). Her other novels have been very well reviewed. This is an inspired choice and just the kind of writers DC should be bringing aboard

      Nice to hear, now I'm even more excited to check this out.

      Really satisifed with the new creative team and direction for Selina. Now if only DC had the same thoughtfulness with Wonder Woman...

      07-08-2014, 10:33 AM #31

      heyevaxx

      Member

      Oh wow, happy flippin' day!

      I really wonder though how Genevieve Valentine (her 2 books have 4+ Amazon stars) will write Selina as a crime lord. Does Catwoman just focus on theft or will drugs, prostitution and murder be in the mix? I like Selina's post-Year One "anti-hero but not a true villain" character and having her run the underworld seems to put her squarely on the pure villain side, particularly with ordering hits.

      No matter the future, this is fantastic news! Despite a sorry New52 reintroduction of Catwoman and then holding onto Nocenti for way too long, the DC bosses finally made the right move, thanks!

      ps - now please bring back Cassandra Cain ... and do it right!

      07-08-2014, 11:31 AM #41

      heyevaxx

      Member

      Great news! I can't wait to see how the new team works through Selina being a crime lord: will she order hits and/or kill herself or will she manage to stay something of a no-kill anti-hero?

      The writer/artist team change reminds me of what happened when Bronwyn Carlton ran Catwoman into the ground with a terrible characterization of Selina and awful stories. So Catwoman takes a 6 month break and comes back with Ed Brubaker's fantastic writing and Darwyn Cooke's 50s style artwork.

      Now we've got an award winning writer and another stylized artist. His deviantart pages look good and I hope he'll adapt his abilities to the title.

      Very excited for this, thanks DC for (finally!) making this move!

      07-08-2014, 11:56 AM #43

      catbatfan

      BANNED

      Ann Nocenti wrote a terrible Catwoman ten years ago in Batman/Catwoman: Trail of the Gun, so I was not enthused about her becoming the full-time writer in 2012. Her style just does not work for Catwoman. That being said, she is still nowhere near as bad as the worst Catwoman writer ever, Bronwyn Carlton. Check out her awful run from 2000-01 if you dare.

      07-08-2014, 01:51 PM #50

      WonderScott

      Member

      I'm ready for something new for Catwoman and Selina, so I'm looking forward to this. Given her morals, it'll be interesting to see what types of crime she allows and what types she doesn't and the problems that creates for her. I'm excited for a crime boss who can as easy manipulate cops, criminals and other crime lords, as well as throw down with the best of the best when it comes to fisticuffs. Things I'd be interested in seeing:

      - Catwoman vs Penguin or Black Mask (or both!) for control of the city.

      - Interactions with other costumed villains, like Two-Face, Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn, Joker, Scarecrow, etc., as the new status quo gets set.

      - Integration of costumed muscle/henchpeople in her organization alongside plainclothes criminals... This is Gotham after all. I don't want it to be straight-up organized crime without any costumes or superhero influences.

      - New supporting cast of confidants and henchpeople.

      - Make it Game of Thrones meets Gotham. Anything could happen while the criminal gangs and families and costumes vie for control.

      This is good territory for Selina to inhabit and I welcome the new writer to give it a shot.

      07-08-2014, 02:06 PM #52

      catbatfan

      BANNED

      I hope the new writer keeps Catwoman's supporting cast in tact, or at least keeps Gwen around. I like her. She's the less-annoying version of Holly Robinson.

      07-08-2014, 07:23 PM #64

      CatBoy

      Support Your LCS

      Quote Originally Posted by BatGlamorous

      So is this like Suicide Squad where there will be an "All-New Catwoman #1" in October or will it keep the original numbers?

      With the Catwoman #35 Monster Variant announced, my guess is that they're keeping the original numbers.

      07-08-2014, 07:55 PM #66

      Punisher007

      Senior Member

      I'm still not sold on the "Selina as the Kingpin" idea. Wilson Fisk is a VERY bad guy who does horrible and despicable things on a daily basis as part of "doing business." You have to be willing to go there to be any kind of successful crime boss. Selina, on the other hand, works much better as a "shades of grey" character who can do amoral things, but is ultimately a good person underneath. Does she order the businesses of people who refuse to pay "protection money" to be burned down, or does she have them knee-capped? Does she blackmail, intimidate, or threaten people into supporting her? Does she threaten witnesses who may testify against her, or even have them killed, and so on? Because those are the kinds of things that crime bosses do. I'm not sure that they can reconcile those two. I DO NOT want Selina as a full-on villain, period. But we'll see how it goes.

      07-08-2014, 08:18 PM #68

      chipsnopotatoes

      Member

      Considering DC has a terrible track record with this character, it's a wonder she still has any fans. This new team has their work cut out for them. If they don't stem the sales decline, I wouldn't wait 2-1/2 years to replace them.

      So has Marts pirated Gluckstern off this title yet? Selina can't be that lucky, can she?

      07-08-2014, 08:37 PM #69

      InformationGeek

      "Comic Book Reviewer"

      Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007

[...]

      I highly doubt they'll make her that ruthless. If they did, that would just really turn people off the character more. She'll probably be more morally gray than usual, but that's it. I highly doubt she'll do those things.

      07-08-2014, 08:43 PM #70

      Punisher007

      Senior Member

      Then her being a "crime boss" is completely pointless.

      07-08-2014, 09:49 PM #71

      AlexanderLuthor

      Senior Member

      Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007

      Then her being a "crime boss" is completely pointless.

      I think they will play it that her love of Bruce was the only thing keeping her in the gray. His rejection upon rejection of her is what pushed her into the darker side. Then, realizing his error, his love will bring her back. Yes, it makes her a a dark Mary Sue, but it is Batman's world.

      07-08-2014, 10:40 PM #73

      Bat007007

      BANNED

      Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor

      I think they will play it that her love of Bruce was the only thing keeping her in the gray. His rejection upon rejection of her is what pushed her into the darker side. Then, realizing his error, his love will bring her back. Yes, it makes her a a dark Mary Sue, but it is Batman's world

      Hum no. i just hope they can keep Selina as a villain as long as possible if not indefinitely. She was just an anti-hero in the past decades. Batman lacks female A-list villains so I'm happy to see her back to the dark side after all these years. So no excuse for a cheap love story.

      07-08-2014, 10:42 PM #74

      Bat007007

      BANNED

      Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek

      I highly doubt they'll make her that ruthless. If they did, that would just really turn people off the character more. She'll probably be more morally gray than usual, but that's it. I highly doubt she'll do those things.

      I hope not. I hope to see her as ruthless as possible.

      07-08-2014, 11:56 PM #75

      Flash Gordon

      The (rebooted) Savior

      I'm just not 100 percent on Selina being a villain. I like her as a love interest for BATMAN, but one that occasionally does bad things that the big black bat may overlook.

      07-09-2014, 07:09 AM #78

      Brian from Canada

      Defender of the North

      Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon

      I'm just not 100 percent on Selina being a villain. I like her as a love interest for BATMAN, but one that occasionally does bad things that the big black bat may overlook.

      What's being missed, I think, is the fact that this has already been floated before fans already — in the flash forward issue of Batman that links to Eternal (in its early to mid 30s). Fans were not against the idea, so DC found a writer who can run with that idea in hopes of resurrecting interest in the title. Almost all of DC's announcements have some decent logic behind the moves, and this is no exception.

      07-09-2014, 07:14 AM #79

      OBrianTallent

      Senior Member

      Quote Originally Posted by Brian from Canada

      What's being missed, I think, is the fact that this has already been floated before fans already — in the flash forward issue of Batman that links to Eternal (in its early to mid 30s). Fans were not against the idea, so DC found a writer who can run with that idea in hopes of resurrecting interest in the title. Almost all of DC's announcements have some decent logic behind the moves, and this is no exception.

      Didn't miss it at all, in fact I wondered how they would reflect this in her own book...whether they would cancel the title outright and leave her to face off against Batman solely in his titles or if they would in fact recreate her own series as well. Looks to be that they are giving her book a makeover as well and all the better. I picked up the first six or eight issues of the title when it got 52'd and have glanced here and there. So I am quite looking forward to the new direction and team.

      07-09-2014, 07:19 AM #80

      daningotham

      Addicted to Comics

      Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent

      Didn't miss it at all, in fact I wondered how they would reflect this in her own book...whether they would cancel the title outright and leave her to face off against Batman solely in his titles or if they would in fact recreate her own series as well. Looks to be that they are giving her book a makeover as well and all the better. I picked up the first six or eight issues of the title when it got 52'd and have glanced here and there. So I am quite looking forward to the new direction and team.

      The first 12 issues were the best of the entire title so far IMO.

      07-09-2014, 07:23 AM #81

      JamJams

      Member

      Gotham Underground aside I enjoyed Ann Nocenti's run on Catwoman. But the new team/new direction will give DC a reason to heavily promote Catwoman to try and get her more sales, which is never a bad thing for any series.

      07-09-2014, 07:49 AM #82

      BatGlamorous

      Junior Member

      What's funny is that I had this vision for Selina slightly before the Eternal shift happened. I love her characterization as a foil to Bruce - where he's a rich playboy philanthropist, she's a shrewd self-serving businesswoman. Carrying the dichotomy that the two have under the cowl into the real world is just a brilliant idea and I'm going to love reading it. I wish this creative team (and yes, even Nocenti) the best.

      07-09-2014, 10:41 AM #83

      catbatfan

      BANNED

      Quote Originally Posted by chipsnopotatoes

      So has Marts pirated Gluckstern off this title yet? Selina can't be that lucky, can she?

      Marts no longer works for DC. Do you believe Gluckstern is responsible for us being stuck with Nocenti for two years?

      07-09-2014, 10:43 AM #84

      catbatfan

      BANNED

      Quote Originally Posted by daningotham

      The first 12 issues were the best of the entire title so far IMO.

      Winick was better than Nocenti but his issues were hardly great. IMO, Selina hasn't had a decent writer since Devin Grayson.

      07-09-2014, 08:16 PM #86

      chipsnopotatoes

      Member

      Quote Originally Posted by catbatfan

      Marts no longer works for DC. Do you believe Gluckstern is responsible for us being stuck with Nocenti for two years?

      Re Marts, I know; hence pirated.

      While she may not have hired Nocenti, she bears accountability for how terrible this book has been since the nu52 launch. This book has been problematic way before Nocenti. It's been gaffe after gaffe after gaffe. She needs to go as well.

      07-10-2014, 12:56 AM #88

      tbgo

      Junior Member

      I really wish they would overhaul and streamline Catwoman's costume. The goggles going around the head (staying on someway), and a her finding an aviator cap that just happened to have cat ears in it was always ridiculous. The whole thing screams MESS. They started out keeping her covered from head to toe, and now they keep drawing her busting out of the damn suit, making it completely irrelevant to the look they're going for. They should give the character a new start with this, and that includes a new look.

      This new artist's work looks horrendous. The person who did the cover should be working on the book full-time. That image is stunning!

      07-10-2014, 01:24 AM #89

      nepenthes

      tropical carnivore

      Quote Originally Posted by tbgo

      This new artist's work looks horrendous. The person who did the cover should be working on the book full-time. That image is stunning!

      That's Jae Lee - you may want to check out the arc beginning in August's Batman/Superman 13 and onwards

      07-12-2014, 10:48 AM #100

      catbatfan

      BANNED

      So Genevieve is just writing an arc? If it's a typical 6-issue arc, it'll end in March 2015 along with Batman Eternal. Hmmm....Then there's that two-month hiatus while DC moves to Burbank and all their regular series are put on hold. Hopefully Catwoman will return in June 2015 (perhaps with a new number one and new direction).

      07-12-2014, 10:55 AM #103

      catbatfan

      BANNED

      Catwoman should never be portrayed as a full-on villain. Batman already has two psychotic and completely evil villainesses to deal with: Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn. Selina's moral ambiguity differentiates her from the rest of the Rogues.

      07-15-2014, 01:38 AM #113

      tbgo

      Junior Member

      The writer is saying that she's just doing an issue on her blog. I'm confused now.

      07-15-2014, 04:01 AM #114

      heyevaxx

      Member

      Quote Originally Posted by tbgo

      The writer is saying that she's just doing an issue on her blog. I'm confused now.

      Genevieve Valentine's blog says:

      I’ll be writing an arc of CATWOMAN for DC Comics. ... The first issue is due to hit stands sometime in October; I can’t wait.

      Below her main comments on Catwoman is a comment/reply that clarifies it's a single arc (i.e. multiple issues) she's working on with the long term undefined.

      SoDisqusted • 5 days ago

      It's just an arc, not long-term?

      glvalentine Mod SoDisqusted • 2 days ago

      Right now we're working on a single arc; I don't yet know what the future holds beyond that.

      How long are arcs usually in comics? In Catwoman's case with Eternal and other events, I wonder how long this particular arc will be.

      07-15-2014, 04:08 AM #115

      exile001

      Senior Member

      Quote Originally Posted by heyevaxx

      How long are arcs usually in comics? In Catwoman's case with Eternal and other events, I wonder how long this particular arc will be.

      Usually around 6 issues, aiming for trade length (2x per year). I'm pretty excited for this even if it is only one arc.

      07-15-2014, 10:25 AM #117

      Kapparition

      Senior Member

      I am guessing the crime boss arc will run its course after 6 issues and Selina will return to being her old self after that. It will have given enough time to clear the air from the previous run by Nocenti and give people a new start with the old Selina.

      07-15-2014, 10:37 AM #118

      catbatfan

      BANNED

      Quote Originally Posted by Kapparition

      I am guessing the crime boss arc will run its course after 6 issues and Selina will return to being her old self after that. It will have given enough time to clear the air from the previous run by Nocenti and give people a new start with the old Selina.

      Yes, I think so too. Catwoman should be relaunched next summer with a new number one by an all-star creative team in honour of her 75th anniversary.