7346Re: [DCU] Re: Ask Chris #172: 'The Problem"

  • Rich & Deb
    Jun 30, 2014
      Specifically which Infantino book are you referencing?

      Thanks.

      Rich Green

      On Jun 30, 2014, at 9:59 AM, Edward Bebee ejb@... [DC_Comics_Uncensored] wrote:

      I said:

      > I've read a few interviews with Kirby (I've read Infantino's book but I don't remember his POV) that Infantino was driving the "hire Kirby" effort and he wanted Kirby to eventually work on most of DC's flagship characters the way he at least touched most of the characters at Marvel. <

              Because I'm obsessive sometimes, I looked up the passage on Kirby in Infantino's book.

              His recollection is that Kirby wanted to do all the Superman books but Infantino reined him in and decided to give him only Jimmy Olsen to see how things work out. The implication being that if Jimmy did well, Kirby would indeed get the whole Superman line to play with.

              I wasn't there so I can't say if Infantino's memories are closer to how things were than Kirby's. Kirby's seem to be the accepted set of events and make more sense to my mind.

              An interesting bit in Infantino's book….

              Infantino notes that back in NYC, Mort Weisinger has a bird and refuses to let Kirby work on the book. Weisinger was a close friend of Jack Schiff and while Schiff no longer worked for DC, Weisinger took the stand on principal.  Infantino took the matter to Sol Harrison and Harrison took Infantino's side.

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic