5920Re: [DCU] Spiderman is simply the best! Nothing can compare.

  • Richard J.
    Aug 1, 2009
      And Ben Parker's death consisted of what, appearances in three or four panels? We didn't grieve for the loss of Ben Parker, we felt and related to the impact this man we didn't know had on the main character. We barely saw May Parker in Amazing Fantasy #15.

      Plus, you're getting your heroes crossed, if we are going to go to original concepts.

      Ben died in the house from a burglar. The movies established him as dying from a carjacking on the sidewalk. Bruce's parents died in the alley way.

      Tho the movie placed Peter at Ben's death, it was always more effective to me that he wasn't around when Ben needed him (which I think the second movie tried to establish) but the inability to have guilt in the original comic book story (that he wasnt off being selfish, he just wasn't there) was better to me.

      Krypton's destruction could have been highly detailed with fleshed out characters and their causes of death, it would all still be unknown to the infant Kal El, until he watched home movies or something.

      He can have no memories of Krypton's destruction, as even if he time traveled, he would possess the knowledge of the planet's demise and would thereby be unable to be shocked and horrified by anything.

      And even if he hadnt had the Kryptonian powers to such an extent, it is more than likely he would have still suspected there was something different about him (portrayed best in my mind in the first episode of the George Reeves' show. I've always enjoyed the greaser Clark Kent)

      And tho it has never (to my knowledge) been shown the effect that being a sole survivor can have on Clark Kent or Superman, such an event can have an impact on a character.

      From survivors of the Titanic to sole survivors of airplane crashes or nautical disasters (I think there was a recent one where a teen ager survived a boat disaster, within the past six months, toward Asia or Africa somewhere?), the incident can be crystallizing to a person.

      The youngest survivor of the Donner party had no recollection of the events, but that hardly means the situation didn't still take place in her life.

      To compare such drama as this in Peter's life would be along the lines of if both May and Ben were killed by the burglar and Peter (aside from not stopping the crook when he should have) would now have to deal with that he too would have been murdered had he been in the house with them (say Peter is still new to the usage of his powers and wouldn't have stopped the crook or the crook took him by surprise to prevent even a seemingly normal teen from overpowering him, this being a young man)

      Peter would have to deal with had he been in the house he could have saved them, or heck, he could have done this with Ben, which I guess to an extent he did with the elevator encounter.

      --- In DC_Comics_Uncensored@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Talbot" <lonchaneyjr@...> wrote:
      > In the original concept, Krypton's destruction was pretty much in the abstract. Like telling an adopted child his "real" parents died when he was very young. You feel bad about it, but it isn't as personal as, say, watching them gunned down in an alley. The original Kent's death was sad, yes, but it wasn't tramatic as, well, the alley thing. They died of old age and Clark was old enough to handle it. Face it, Supes didn't have any trauma forming his character until much later (accursed retcons!) The Burne Superman was born after Krypton's destruction, and his human parents were still alive until the recent loss of Jonathan Kent. He didn't even know he was Kryptonian until after he bevame Superman. Unpleasent, yes. Sad, yes. Even traumatic, but Superman has already been on his path for some time, so it isn't connected to how he turned out.
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic