5643Re: Watchmen

  • skeletors_hood
    Jun 20, 2009
      The appeal always seemed to be that this was one of the first stories in comics that fostered a more adult appeal, and not because of the nudity or stuff like that. It doesn't end with the heroes winning, for example. It's not the JLA going, "wow, that was a close one. But if evil tries again, we'll always be there." Nope, the "villain" was successful in his plan, and the heroes realize that his plan was the lesser of two evils, and accept to not reveal him. It ends in compromise, like so many things in the real world, and this was an idea unheard of in comics, that it was one of the cornerstones in redefining the way people look at and read comics. This is one of the reasons that it is so revered...without Watchmen, you may not have the Batman that you see in Dark Knight. Characters like Punisher and Wolverine would have no grounds in which to flex their muscles, because writers would still write them towards kids, keeping them toned down and safe. I'm not saying that it is all owed to Watchmen, but Watchmen helped make it happen. Like Shakespeare didn't invent theater, nor did he change it really, but he definitely had a strong influence in its development towards what we consider theater today.