Personal Storytelling for Social Change: A Workshop for Sex Worker Activists

  • rufnogrrl
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2010
      This Monday 12/6 at HIPS (new) Office: 1309 Rhode Island Ave NE

      Personal Storytelling for Social Change: A Workshop for Sex Worker Activists

      Workshop provided as a collaboration between HIPS and the Red Umbrella Project, led by Audacia Ray

      Personal stories are powerful and essential elements of campaigns for social change and initiatives supporting the human rights of sex workers. Sharing personal experiences of the sex industry is key to connecting with people, both those who understand where we're coming from and those who don't. In this workshop, we will look at examples of effective storytelling in social change movements, identify campaigns that could benefit from storytelling, and do some basic storybuilding exercises to help us think how we can use personal stories to move people to action using independent and mainstream media.

      Monday, December 6th from 7 – 9 pm.

      $15 per person
      At HIPS
      1309 Rhode Island Ave, NE #2B
      Washington, DC 20018
      202.232.8150

      To pre-register, please email audaciaray@...

      About the Red Umbrella Project
      The Red Umbrella Project was founded by Audacia Ray on the belief that storytelling is a building block of movement building and solidarity. People who have spent time in the sex industries know all too well the social and legal stigmas that prevent us from being treated with the dignity and respect we deserve. While researchers, the media, and myriad others fill up page after page with stories about the sex trade, the voices of people who have lived this reality are consistently denied and erased.

      Everyone has a story, and the people who are best equipped to tell the stories of people in the sex trade are the people who have personal experiences in the industry.

      The Project conducts its work through monthly live storytelling events in New York City, a weekly audio podcast available for free on iTunes, a monthly blog carnival, and storytelling and media workshops.

      About HIPS
      HIPS (Helping Individual Prostitutes Survive) was founded in 1993 by a coalition of service providers, advocates, and law enforcement officials as an outreach and referral service. HIPS mission is to assist female, male, and transgender individuals engaging in sex work in Washington, DC in leading healthy lives.

      Utilizing a harm reduction model, HIPS' programs strive to address the impact that HIV/AIDS, sexually transmitted infections, discrimination, poverty, violence and drug use have on the lives of individuals engaging in sex work.

      HIPS is a nationally recognized program that meets the needs sex workers and assists them in their efforts to eliminate the transmission of HIV, increase sexual health, and reduce violence and harm associated with sex work and drug use.

      HIPS programs serve an estimated 2,000 sex workers a year on the streets and in our drop-in center, providing a full spectrum of programs to address basic & immediate needs, long-term goal setting and life skills development.

      --
      Audacia Ray
      Twitter.com/audaciaray - Facebook.com/audaciaray