REMINDER: Clergy Call in DC May 4-5

  • Beloved Community
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2009

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Beloved Community <belovedcommunity@...>
      Date: Fri, May 1, 2009 at 2:44 PM
      Subject: REMINDER: Clergy Call in DC May 4-5
      To: belovedcommunity@...

      MONDAY AND TUESDAY IN D.C. :

      HRC's Clergy Call for Justice and Equality is happening on May 4 and May 5 at Calvary Baptist Church.  To register  go to http://www.hrc.org/issues/religion/9209.htm.  To learn more about the events  go to : www.hrc.org/clergycall.

       From Sharon Groves, Deputy Director of the Religion & Faith Program of the Human Rights Campaign :

      We at Human Rights Campaign want to officially invite each of you to attend our second Clergy Call for Justice and Equality on May 4-5, 2009 and to request that you strongly encourage your colleagues to attend as well.  Over 200 have already signed up to attend.  But we need your voice to let Congress, and indeed the nation, know that LGBT issues are faith issues and that we won’t be silent in our commitment to justice.
      Think you won’t be missed in the midst of that many people?  Oh, no!  The picture of the whole group of clergy advocates will be powerful, but the real power on behalf of LGBT people will be experienced in individual senators’ and representatives’ offices where only a few of you will be present.  As you know, all politics is local.  So we need not just to have a great group photo, but to have meaningful conversations with individual members of Congress – the kind=2 0only you can have with your legislator.
      Registration is completely free and open to clergy and religious leaders of all faiths.  If you have not yet registered, please make sure to do so at http://www.hrc.org/issues/religion/9209.htm.  You’ll also want to book your hotel immediately as we will lose our blocks soon.
      Below is a recent newsletter that explains in detail what will be happening at Clergy Call and why you won’t want to miss it.

      Please contact me if you have any questions or just want to talk over what coming would entail.  (202) 772-3898 (work); (202) 549-3479 (cell)

      Blessings, Sharon

      Clergy Call 2009: Making the Journey
      May 4-5, 2009
      If you have been thinking about coming to Clergy Call 2009 but have been putting off making a final commitment, now is the time to register! If you know you're coming but have not yet purchased your plane tickets, know that ticket prices are currently low but they won't stay low forever. If you know you're coming but haven't found a hotel yet, check out our hotel blocks for the cheapest prices in the area. If you want to come to Clergy Call but don't think you can afford it, write us at religion@.... We are looking into home visits and hostel stays that can help deter costs.
      If you have registered, you will have received an e-mail from us on Friday, March 27. If you thought you had registered, but didn't receive an e-mail, please contact us at religion@.... We have occasionally encountered difficulty with our registration database that we are working to remedy. If you run into trouble contact us at religion@... or call Mike McGinnis at (202) 423-2877 and we'll help you out.

      Clergy Call 2009: Tools for the Journey
      Now more than ever we need deliberate faith-based dialogue about the issues facing our local communities. On March 24 Gainesville, Fla. dramatically declared "NO" to discrimination against the city's LGBT residents, marriage equality legislation recently passed in Vermont's Senate and in New Hampshire's House of Representatives and other states like New York are following closely behind. While we're buoyed by this progress we also know that we have a long way to go. The New Hampshire state House, for instance, voted down a bill that would have added gender identity and expression to the state's anti-discrimination laws.
      Whether advocating for employment protections and relationship recognition or fighting destructive ballot measures, faith voices are critical in our local and statewide work for equality. This is why we have pulled together a conference, "Tools for the Journey: Sustaining a Faith-Based Movement for LGBT Equality" on May 4, 2009, the first day of Clergy Call 2009. This conference will give clergy an opportunity to learn from one another about the local and state political landscape and the role of people of faith in this work. We have created three exciting panels dealing with such topics as gender identity, marriage equality and adoption, and building coalitions for justice across our diversities. We will also have breakout sessions that will enable clergy to meet with one another and discuss best strategies for building religious coalitions for justice in their home communities. Check out the schedule.