The DC Center 4/1 Update: Club Azen, DC Youth Data, more...

  • Michael Sessa
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2008

      The DC CenterThe DC Center Update
      In This Issue: April 1st, 2008
      •   Club Azen Launches in DC
      •   Brothers & Sisters Under the Rainbow
      •   Troubling New Data on DC GLB Youth
      •   Congrats to the NYC Center
      •   Crystal Meth Focus Groups
      •   Happy Birthday Guerilla Queer Bar!
      Club Azen Launches in DC
      With the support of Asian Queers United for Action (AQUA DC), Mayorga Lounge will host a Queer Asian and Pacific Islander night starting on Friday April 11th, 2008. Mayorga, located at 3301 14th Street, NW, a short walk from the Columbia Heights Metro.

      find out more...

      Club Azen
      Troubling New Data on DC GLB Youth
      DC Public Schools has released new data on DC GLBT Youth based on the 2007 Youth Risk Behavior Survey. The fact sheet documents serious and widespread health disparities among GLBT Youth. Among the findings, GLB Youth in DC Public Schools are at greater risk for school violence, substance use, depression, and suicide. They are 10 times more likely to have tried crystal meth than other youth in DC Public Schools.

      find out more...

      DC Public Schools
      Crystal Meth Focus Groups
      The DC Crystal Meth Working Group wants to know about the experiences of current or former crystal meth users so we can provide better treatment and prevention programs for those in need. We're putting together small discussion groups of meth users -- past or present. And we'll give every participant a $75 VISA gift card and dinner for taking 90 minutes to talk.

      find out more...

      Crystal Meth Focus Groups
      Brothers & Sisters Under the Rainbow
      Join Metro DC PFLAG and Moderator Jay Morrow, Owner of Jamorr Entertainment, along with five local panelists for the first of six honest discussions about African American culture and sexuality. April 24, 2008 from 7:00 to 9:00 pm, at the University of the District of Columbia (UDC) Building 38, Second Floor Windows Lounge (4200 Connecticut Ave. NW).

      find out more...

      Brothers and Sisters
      Congrats to the NYC Center
      Congratulations to the NYC GLBT Community Center, which marks it's 25th anniversary this year. Be sure to check out this inspirational video about the work of The Center in New York City.

      find out more...

      The NYC Center
      Happy Birthday Guerilla Queer Bar!
      Guerilla Queer Bar DC will turn four years old on April 1st and they are planning yet another bar outing at 9:00 PM. The location? As usual, they're not telling just yet. Over the years, Guerilla Queer Bar DC has taken over may otherwise mostly-straight establishments for the night. It's a great way to bring your gay and straight friends together to socialize and raise visibility of our community in the District.

      find out more...

      The Center's mission is to celebrate, strengthen, and support community among the GLBT residents and organizations of Metropolitan Washington, DC.

      The DC Center
      1111 14th Street, NW Suite 350
      Washington, DC 20005
      (202) 682-2245
      www.thedccenter. org

      Find us on: Facebook | MySpace | YouTube | Flickr

      http://www.feedburner.com/fb/images/pub/feed-icon32x32.png Subscribe in a reader