Re: Digest Number 180

  • bmcfarln@xxxxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 22, 1999
      I agree with Bob. DBM is NOT nearly as good as BBDBA. DBM has too
      many complications (especially the O, X, F catigories that cause a modifier
      to be applied sometimes without being used others) However, our group
      often steals the Ambush, march ro contact and outflank rules from DBM and
      uses them with BBDBA.
      For variety and texture we also use a morale system. Elements are
      limited to the number of recoils they can perform. Conscripts are
      eliminated upon their second recoil; Regulars are eliminated on their
      third, Veterians are eliminated upon their fourth and Guards are not
      eliminated until their fifth recoil.
      Also, highly suggested is the Big Battle DBA Army morale charts
      from the DBA Resource Page <http://users.erols.com/brant/DBA/>. When a
      command (usually about 1/3 of a BBDBA army) gets down to 1/3 of its
      strength roll on the chart. This will allow the defeated corps to carry
      on, go berserk, or disinigrate. Usually it slowly fades away, but not
      instantly, so it can at least hold on until the rest of the army has madew
      adjustments.
      Finally, I must state that I like BBDBA, using the Humberside
      Wargame Society's Extension Rules (1500-1900)
      <http://www.karoo.net/barr/hws/dbx/dbaext.html> for musket and pike games.
      I find them to be faster and (with the modifications listed above) a
      superior game to DBR

      Bruce McFarlane
      Canadian Wargamers Group

      Home Page

      http://www.agt.net/public/cwgroup/cwghome.html
    • Ken Blackley
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 22, 1999
        On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Bruce G McFarlane wrote:

        > I agree with Bob. DBM is NOT nearly as good as BBDBA. DBM has too
        > many complications (especially the O, X, F catigories that cause a modifier
        > to be applied sometimes without being used others) However, our group
        > often steals the Ambush, march ro contact and outflank rules from DBM and
        > uses them with BBDBA.

        IMHO, DBM is probably as good as BBDBA, if not better. But, it requires
        some dedication to sit down and actually learn the thing. You also have to
        play it preety frequently or else you forget all the bunny rules. It
        doesn't work at all well if the players aren't intimatly familiar with the
        rules, whereas BBDBA works just fine with anyone.

        > For variety and texture we also use a morale system. Elements are
        > limited to the number of recoils they can perform. Conscripts are
        > eliminated upon their second recoil; Regulars are eliminated on their
        > third, Veterians are eliminated upon their fourth and Guards are not
        > eliminated until their fifth recoil.

        This works really well in later periods covered by the Humberside
        Extension where gunfire is very important. In ancient-medieval DBA,
        elements aren't
        recoiled unhurt as often as there is more hand-to-hand combat and less
        shooting; as such this system isn't as effective IMHO.

        > Finally, I must state that I like BBDBA, using the Humberside
        > Wargame Society's Extension Rules (1500-1900)
        > <http://www.karoo.net/barr/hws/dbx/dbaext.html> for musket and pike games.
        > I find them to be faster and (with the modifications listed above) a
        > superior game to DBR

        There are a lot of things I like better for horse-and-musket in DBR than
        DBA. The scale feels better, and many of the rules (e.g. pikes, shot
        support) work better for this period. But again, you lose the advantage of
        having a single set of rules that can cover all periods like DBA can.

        But I just gotta try a game of BBDBA with those double-depth units like
        Bob has . . .

        Ken

        KEN BLACKLEY email: kblackle@...

        Ken Blackley's Medieval Wargames Page: