Big Battle DBA

  • ken.blackley@xxxxx.xxx.xx.xx
    Message 1 of 68 , Nov 22, 1999
      Sagely, Bob Beattie wrote:

      DBM is not good for group play, too many complications.

      **** DBM is a very good game if all players are fully conversant with the rules,
      but can be a headache if one or more aren't. There are a lot of "exceptions" to
      rules that make it difficult, if not impossible, to play infrequently.

      BBDBA is fine for a club
      game in an evening. On my web site I have the original BBDBA
      ideas from DBA 1.0 and some examples of BBDBA games.

      http://www-personal.umich.edu/~beattie/dba/dbalarge.html
      http://www-personal.umich.edu/~beattie/hydaspes/hydaspes.html
      http://www-personal.umich.edu/~beattie/bene.html

      ***** Looks like much fun. A few queries:

      (1) How did the double-depth bases go over? They look great. Bruce McFarlane
      (on this list) packs many figures onto his Humberside Extension DBA bases and
      they look terrific, too. It makes all the difference, IMHO, to game satisfaction
      if the army you're using LOOKS like an army, and not just a small handful of
      figures.

      (2) How did you divide the commands? Did you use die-swapping between generals,
      or did each roll his own?

      (3) Where there any other rule modifications?

      Thanks, Bob.

      Ken Blackley
      Information Officer
      Multi-Media Branch
      Communications Division
      7000-113 street
      Edmonton, Alberta
      Canada
      tel (780) 422-3951
      fax (780) 427-2861
      ken.blackley@...
    • Robert Beattie
      Message 68 of 68 , Mar 22, 2007
        I do not know yet. I will post a soon as I learn this.

        Bob
        beattie@...

        On Mar 22, 2007, at 7:20 AM, Jon Yuengling wrote:

        Bob,

        Who are the members we need to vote for?

        Jon

        On 3/21/07, Robert Beattie <beattie@...> wrote:

        > > FOR THOSE WHO LIKE TO PLAY TOURNAMENTS AT HMGS EAST CONVENTIONS and
        > > those who would support us.
        >
        > There has been a movement by certain members of the organization and
        > by those who manage the conventions to degrade the tournament side of
        > the convention. This is seen as an improper use of space. This is
        > why the DBA activities lost 25% of our space at H'Con 2006 and were
        > pushed away from our usual corner.
        >
        > In order to maintain tournament play and keep our space in the
        > Lampeter Room, we need to elect sympathetic members to the Board of
        > Directors. Please consider the note below if you would support DBA
        > activities at the HMGS East Conventions.
        >
        > Please renew your membership as listed below. It isn't hard and given
        > the admission costs at HMGS East Cons all you have to do is attend
        once
        > to make it pay for itself.
        >
        > > If your membership is not current and you wish to vote in the
        upcoming
        > > election, the BOD has extended the deadline for membership that
        > > will allow
        > > you to vote. If you think that the next election is important make
        > > absolutely sure you renew your membership by March 31st. Contact
        Bill

        --
        Don't try to solve serious matters in the middle of the night.
        - Philip K. Dick