English DBA Open

  • lionheartrjc
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
      The English DBA Open, a 1-day DBA tournament, was held last Sunday in
      Farnborough, Hants. We had 20 competitors in the 15mm competition
      and 8 in the 25mm competition.

      A good time was had by all (I believe). The games were played in a
      great friendly spirit. Congratualations to Nik Sharp who won the
      15mm competition and Nick Harbud who won the 25mm competition.

      A report will be produced for Slingshot (the editor won't allow me
      not to!) and a write up will be on the English_DBA_Open yahoo group.

      In the same spirit, would anyone be interested in a 25mm DBM200
      competition? DBM200 uses DBM rules but all army list minima and
      maxima are halved rounding up i.e. 1-5 becomes 1-3. Generals are half
      usual price i.e. 10 pts for Regular. An army cannot use 3 pip
      swapping generals. Terrain is reduced to fit on the 4'x4' table and
      games last 1hr 45mins.

      Richard Jeffrey-Cook
    • BOB
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
        Richarad,
        Congratulations on your success at running one of the (THE?) biggest DBA
        tournaments in UK!!!

        I am sure we all want to know if Phil and Sue participated. Also, how did
        your BUA policy work out? Did many games have the BUA. For all the folks
        here who do not sub to your group, can you cross post the report. How did
        you make the pairings and structure the play.

        At the US cons, we have wanted to have a sportsman(person) award but have
        not done so yet. In most events I have read of, it seems to go to the
        player who finished just out of the trophy range, like a fourth place
        award. How did you make the selection?

        I am looking forward to the full story. Thanks for keeping us up-dated

        Bob
        beattie@...

        Bob

        --On Tuesday, October 1, 2002 12:57 PM +0000 lionheartrjc
        <lionheartrjc@...> wrote:

        > The English DBA Open, a 1-day DBA tournament, was held last Sunday in
        > Farnborough, Hants. We had 20 competitors in the 15mm competition
        > and 8 in the 25mm competition.
        >
        > A good time was had by all (I believe). The games were played in a
        > great friendly spirit. Congratualations to Nik Sharp who won the
        > 15mm competition and Nick Harbud who won the 25mm competition.
        >
        > A report will be produced for Slingshot (the editor won't allow me
        > not to!) and a write up will be on the English_DBA_Open yahoo group.
        >
        > In the same spirit, would anyone be interested in a 25mm DBM200
        > competition? DBM200 uses DBM rules but all army list minima and
        > maxima are halved rounding up i.e. 1-5 becomes 1-3. Generals are half
        > usual price i.e. 10 pts for Regular. An army cannot use 3 pip
        > swapping generals. Terrain is reduced to fit on the 4'x4' table and
        > games last 1hr 45mins.
        >
        > Richard Jeffrey-Cook

      • John Hills
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
          On Tue, 01 Oct 2002 12:57:41 -0000 lionheartrjc
          <lionheartrjc@...> wrote:

          > In the same spirit, would anyone be interested in a 25mm DBM200
          > competition?

          Hey, that would give me a reason to finish painting my Dacians!

          Any idea when and where?

          John

          ----------------------
          John Hills
          j.r.hills@...
        • Steve Burt
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
            --- In DBA@y..., "lionheartrjc" <lionheartrjc@y...> wrote:

            > In the same spirit, would anyone be interested in a 25mm DBM200
            > competition? DBM200 uses DBM rules but all army list minima and
            > maxima are halved rounding up i.e. 1-5 becomes 1-3. Generals are
            half
            > usual price i.e. 10 pts for Regular. An army cannot use 3 pip
            > swapping generals. Terrain is reduced to fit on the 4'x4' table
            and
            > games last 1hr 45mins.

            Yes, I'd be interested in a single day comp. I'd think 2 hours might
            be better?.
            DBM200 in 25mm works well on 6'x4' tables.
          • lionheartrjc
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
              This event was held on Sunday 29th September 2002 at Elles Hall
              Community Centre, Farnborough, Hampshire. This is the regular venue
              for Farnborough Wargames Club and ideal for this sort of event. It
              attracted 20 players in the 15mm competition and 8 players in the
              25mm competition.

              The event consisted of a group stage and a knockout stage. Everyone
              played 3 games in the group stage and the highest placed competitors
              then entered the knockout stage. For the group stage players brought
              their own armies and were grouped by period and geographical
              location. For the knockout stage, the players had to choose
              from "theme" armies that were provided. The theme for the 15mm
              competition was "The Successors of Alexander", a list of 12 armies
              from Seleucus to Antigonos Gonatos. The theme for the 15mm
              competition was "The Army and Enemies of Ramases".

              We attracted an international field with Phil and Karin Riley
              travelling over from Switzerland to take part. A wide range of
              armies were used from Sargonid Assyrian to Early Burgundian. Four
              Classical Indian armies entered making it the most popular choice.
              Three junior competitors entered Adelais and Rory Farnell-Sharp and
              Alexander Cartwright. Adelais (who is 12) did particularly well,
              coming 4th overall in the group stage.

              The group stage battles were 45 minutes duration and I was surprised
              by how few draws occurred. The scoring system was 5 points for a
              win, 2 points for a winning draw, 1 point for a draw and 0 pts for a
              loss. Out of 42 battles played in the group stages, only 3 ended in
              a draw!

              We played one variation from the normal DBA rules. A BUA could only
              be placed if both players prior to the start of the battle agreed to
              do so. Arable armies had to choose another compulsory terrain item
              if they couldn't select a BUA. This seemed to work well.

              Lunchtime and we reached the knockout stages. The players selected
              which army they would use in order of placement from the group
              stage. A time limit of 45 minutes was also placed on the knockout
              stage games. If a result had not been reached a tie-breaker was
              used. This involved taking all the remaining elements and placing
              them in order. They then fight an individual combat with the
              opponents elements, the only result counting being a destroy result.
              Elements fight in sequence until one side has lost either 4 elements
              in total or more elements and a general. In the event, we only
              needed to use this once.

              The 25mm competition saw two Society of Ancients committee members in
              the final (to cries of "fix"!). Nick Harbud using New Kingdom
              Egyptians beat off a Sea Peoples invasion from Steve Neate. The 15mm
              competition saw Nik Sharp defeat a rugged defence by Mark Stephenson.

              Essex Miniatures kindly sponsored the prizes. As well as two junior
              prizes, winner for the 25mm competition and winner and runner-up
              prizes for the 15mm competition there was a Sportsmanship award won
              by Antony Morton and a prize for "Best Army and Terrain" which was
              won by Phil Riley for his very attractive Sargonid figures.

              The whole event was remarkably friendly and I believe a good time was
              had by all. While large DBM competitions and national rankings have
              their place, I think there is a lot to be said for smaller, less
              competitive events. I was very satisfied with how it went and hope
              to run a similar event next year.
            • lionheartrjc
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
                Thanks for your support.

                Phil and Sue did not take part. Obviously America is more glamorous
                than Farnborough! ;-)

                I don't think any BUAs were used in the end. No one seemed to mind.

                Richard Jeffrey-Cook
              • lionheartrjc
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 1, 2002
                  Hi Steve,

                  I am interested you have used 6'x4' tables. I prefer the more
                  confined table, it favours heavy infantry armies more. (I don't like
                  these skirmishing armies!).

                  It would probably take place in Spring in Farnborough, Hants.

                  Richard Jeffrey-Cook

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 13, 2003
                    2003 English DBA Open

                    This was the second year of the English DBA Open. The event was held
                    on Sunday 12th October 2003 at Elles Hall Community Centre,
                    Farnborough, Hampshire. This year saw an increased entry, attracting
                    22 players in the 15mm competition and 16 players in the 25mm
                    competition.

                    The event consists of a group stage and a knockout stage. Everyone
                    plays 3 games in the group stage and the highest placed competitors
                    then entered the knockout stage. For the group stage players brought
                    their own armies and were grouped by period and geographical
                    location. For the knockout stage, the players had to choose
                    from "theme" armies that were provided and defenders had a choice of
                    six different pre-defined terrains to choose from. The theme for the
                    15mm competition was "Hellenistic Armies beaten by Rome", a list of 8
                    armies from Pyrrhic to Mithridatic. The theme for the 25mm
                    competition was "The Army and Enemies of Ramases".

                    Once again we attracted an international field with Pedro Casimaro
                    and Miguel Mendes travelling over from Portugal to take part.

                    We were using 2.1 rules for the first time. Overall, the amendments
                    seem to be an improvement, with more Warband armies present and no
                    problems with built up areas.

                    We played one variation from the normal DBA rules due to Matt
                    Bennett's empassioned plea in Slingshot. Where an army sub-list
                    allowed options, the player could choose which elements to use before
                    each battle. This appeared to work without any problems, although
                    next year I would probably revert to the system of using the same 12
                    elements throughout the competition.

                    The 25mm competition final saw Andrew Fisher using Hittites beat
                    James Forrest with New Kingdom Egyptians. The 15mm competition saw
                    Phil Jelley defeat Ray Briggs. Adelais Farnell-Sharp successfully
                    defended her Junior Championship title. Simon Bargery won the prize
                    for Best Army with his Ancient British. The event was another success
                    and we hope it will continue again next year.