Question about Blade support

  • Clint Lindstrom
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2002
      I'm nearing completion of my Polybian Roman army, and before I play a game
      with them, I wanted to clarify the support rule.

      The section of the rulebook that explains support, states that Blade
      elements can offer support to other Blades in certain situations.

      Assuming the Blades are in a line 6 elements long, can the unengaged Blade
      units offer support to other Blades elements that they are beside?

      Essentially I'm trying to figure out if Blades can support Blades that they
      are next to or if they have to be behind to gain the +1.

      Thanks in advance...

      -Clint

    • Robert Beattie
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2002
        I think you may have misread something. Blades do not give support to
        other Blades in the sense of the front rank gets a +1 if a Blade has a
        second rank of Blade.

        Blades can give overlaps to friendly Blades. This is not support, it gives
        the opponent a -1.

        SpSp
        BdBdBd

        In the above situation, the far right Bd gives the right Sp a -1 when the
        middle Bd fights it.

        Blades can recoil through Blades.

        Perhaps you were reading about Ps giving support to Blades vs. mounted.
        Here one Ps can support 3 Bd.

        BdBdBd
        __Ps__
        the Ps gives a +1 to all Bd if they are fighting mounted.

        Bob

        --On Tue, Sep 3, 2002 1:23 AM +0000 Clint Lindstrom
        <clint_lindstrom@...> wrote:

        > I'm nearing completion of my Polybian Roman army, and before I play a
        > game with them, I wanted to clarify the support rule.
        >
        > The section of the rulebook that explains support, states that Blade
        > elements can offer support to other Blades in certain situations.
        >
        > Assuming the Blades are in a line 6 elements long, can the unengaged
        > Blade units offer support to other Blades elements that they are beside?
        >
        > Essentially I'm trying to figure out if Blades can support Blades that
        > they are next to or if they have to be behind to gain the +1.
        >
        > Thanks in advance...
        >
        > -Clint

      • Clint Lindstrom
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2002
          Thanks for the reply, Bob.

          I did mis-read the support paragraph, thanks for clearing it up.

          Now, I have a question about the example you posted about Psiloi supporting
          against mounted attacks. The following is the diagram you posted:

          BdBdBd
          __Ps__

          Does the diagram assume more than one element of Psiloi or can a single
          element of Psiloi support 3 elements of blade as in the example?

          -C

          >From: Robert Beattie <beattie@...>
          >To: DBA@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [DBA] Question about Blade support
          >Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 20:47:46 -0500
          >
          >I think you may have misread something. Blades do not give support to
          >other Blades in the sense of the front rank gets a +1 if a Blade has a
          >second rank of Blade.
          >
          >Blades can give overlaps to friendly Blades. This is not support, it gives
          >the opponent a -1.
          >
          >SpSp
          >BdBdBd
          >
          >In the above situation, the far right Bd gives the right Sp a -1 when the
          >middle Bd fights it.
          >
          >Blades can recoil through Blades.
          >
          >Perhaps you were reading about Ps giving support to Blades vs. mounted.
          >Here one Ps can support 3 Bd.
          >
          >BdBdBd
          >__Ps__
          >the Ps gives a +1 to all Bd if they are fighting mounted.
          >
          >Bob
          >
          >--On Tue, Sep 3, 2002 1:23 AM +0000 Clint Lindstrom
          ><clint_lindstrom@...> wrote:
          >
          > > I'm nearing completion of my Polybian Roman army, and before I play a
          > > game with them, I wanted to clarify the support rule.
          > >
          > > The section of the rulebook that explains support, states that Blade
          > > elements can offer support to other Blades in certain situations.
          > >
          > > Assuming the Blades are in a line 6 elements long, can the unengaged
          > > Blade units offer support to other Blades elements that they are
          >beside?
          > >
          > > Essentially I'm trying to figure out if Blades can support Blades that
          > > they are next to or if they have to be behind to gain the +1.
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance...
          > >
          > > -Clint

          Clint Lindstrom
          Keeper of Content
          WarmasterWorld.Com
          http://www.warmasterworld.com

        • Robert Beattie
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2, 2002
            See the rule on page 10, 2nd paragraph under rear support factors. The
            diagram below is what can be done. 1 Ps, three Bd.

            Thus you need to decide if you want your Ps to advance and occupy bad
            going, cover flanks or support vs mounted. Depends if you have a mounted
            enemy but then you must make the choice.

            --On Tue, Sep 3, 2002 2:20 AM +0000 Clint Lindstrom