Re: Speed painting Hoplites?

  • jospee
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 2, 2002
      > On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 21:58:26 +0100 Gordon Yacomine
      > <gordony@b...> wrote:
      >
      > > try Ronseal Quick Drying Woodstain, Rosewood shade.

      I bet it doesn't mention magic dipping on the tin! Quick, phone them
      up, they need to change their adverts. ;)

      Magic dip! I've seen some shots of figs done using this method, never
      been overly impressed to tell you the truth, does anyone have any
      shots of stuff that could persuade me to try this method? I could
      sure use some method of reducing the pyramid of lead in my spare room!

      Paul.
    • John Hills
      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 2, 2002
        <gordony@...> wrote:

        > try Ronseal Quick Drying Woodstain, Rosewood shade.

        Hi

        Is this a varnish as well, or just a stain?

        John
        ----------------------
        John Hills
        Geography Technician

        Don't worry, be happy!
      • jospee
        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 2, 2002

          > Do what I did - get a couple of figs that you won't mind messing up
          and
          > use them as guinea pigs. The result is not as good as carefully
          > painted shading and highlighting, given the time difference I don't
          > think this is a fair comparison anyway. Fo me it is a nice way of
          > resurrecting a ton of figs that i would not spend a lot of time on
          > otherwise.
          >
          > John
          > ----------------------
          > John Hills

          Hmm, could do John, got some Seleucids from Museum as my first army -
          painted badly and since replaced with better figs - i'll have to get
          a little pot and see if i can bring them back to life as it were. B&Q
          here i come ;)

          Have to find the damn figs first though! Where did i throw them in
          disgust last time i saw them?

          Cheers, Paul.
        • John Hills
          Message 4 of 30 , Jul 2, 2002
            On Tue, 02 Jul 2002 11:21:09 -0000 jospee <p.crozier@...> wrote:

            > I bet it doesn't mention magic dipping on the tin!

            That's why I didn't buy it! :-)

            Message 5 of 30 , Jul 2, 2002
              On Tue, 02 Jul 2002 11:56:08 -0000 jospee <p.crozier@...> wrote:

              > Hmm, could do John, got some Seleucids from Museum as my first army -
              > painted badly and since replaced with better figs - i'll have to get
              > a little pot and see if i can bring them back to life as it were. B&Q
              > here i come ;)

              Let us know how it works out.

              > Have to find the damn figs first though! Where did i throw them in
              > disgust last time i saw them?

              Strangely I know where all of mine are - in an Ottoman at the bottom of
              the bed - my wife's idea. If it was left to me they would be in little
              boxes all over the house...

              John
              ----------------------
              John Hills
              Geography Technician

              Don't worry, be happy!
            • kblackley@shaw.ca
              Message 6 of 30 , Jul 2, 2002

                > On Tue, 02 Jul 2002 11:21:09 -0000 jospee <p.crozier@...>
                > wrote:

                > > Magic dip! I've seen some shots of figs done using this method,
                > never
                > > been overly impressed to tell you the truth, does anyone have
                > any
                > > shots of stuff that could persuade me to try this method? I
                > could
                > > sure use some method of reducing the pyramid of lead in my spare
                > room!

                One of our local guys, George Gouveia, is a big-time magic dip guy. And
                I have tried it myself on some figures. But I personally just don't
                like the look somehow . . however, lots of people like it a lot and it
                is very fast. It just doesn't personally appeal to me.

                Ken Blackley
              • John Hills
                Message 7 of 30 , Jul 2, 2002
                  <gordony@...> wrote:

                  > try Ronseal Quick Drying Woodstain, Rosewood shade.
                  >
                  > Only thing I find wrong with it is it gives unpainted metal a sort of
                  > bronzey/goldey sheen.

                  Which will be excellent for my Greeks!

                  John
                  ----------------------
                  John Hills
                  Geography Technician

                  Don't worry, be happy!
                • David R. Crowell
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jul 2, 2002
                    I have mostly seen Magic Dip advocated as a means of getting the paint to stay on 20mm plastics.....never thought to try it on leads.

                    Message 9 of 30 , Jul 3, 2002
                      On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 13:07:50 -0400 "David R. Crowell"
                      <gpfarm-dave@...> wrote:

                      > I have mostly seen Magic Dip advocated as a means of getting the
                      paint to stay on 20mm plastics.....

                      yes, we have a couple of guys who are into plastics and one of them
                      though it was an excellent idea - he is probably dipping a ton of figs
                      as I write! Strangely, the other one has no trouble keeping the paint
                      on his figs - don't ask me how he does it.

                      John
                      John Hills
                      Geography Technician

                      Don't worry, be happy!