DBA changes 1.22

  • BOB
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 1999
      Phil sent me a revised Battle Rules with some new
      changes he likes. Everyone, do not get all excited that DBA is
      changing all the time and it's just like DBM. Rather,
      Phil is sending out suggestions he has for us to evaluate. He took
      to heart some suggestions we have made
      (see WWg for example). At least when 2.0
      comes out, we will have had input. I
      will put full text on my web site when I
      have time, hopefully tomorrow, cannot get
      to it now, the building with the
      server was on fire :( But in meantime here is a summary:

      >second or subsequent moves along road cannot end in close combat
      >light horse destroyed by bows when doubled only if in close combat
      >Ps destroyed by Bows if doubled (Shoot or CC)
      >element recoiling into any edge of enemy destroyed
      (not just front edge) BUT enemy so contacted except on front edge is
      also destroyed

      >in a flee, Ps can go thru bad going
      >new combat factors
      War Wagons like Knights +3 foot + 4 mounted
      Artillery like cavalry +3
      Camels like Bows +2 foot +4 mounted

      >rear support factor for Warbands, +1 fighting against
      Kn, Cv and LH only, with second rank Wb
      -------

      Please send along any comments, I have pretty well
      covered all the changes. I would not recommend using these in any
      tournaments such as Fall In but please try them out in your own games.

      He says that he is sending some new terrain ideas soon.

      Bob
      beattie@...
    • Steve Burt
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 1999
        Bob posted these:
        > >second or subsequent moves along road cannot end in close combat
        > >light horse destroyed by bows when doubled only if in close combat
        > >Ps destroyed by Bows if doubled (Shoot or CC)
        > >element recoiling into any edge of enemy destroyed
        > (not just front edge) BUT enemy so contacted except on front edge is
        > also destroyed
        >
        > >in a flee, Ps can go thru bad going
        > >new combat factors
        > War Wagons like Knights +3 foot + 4 mounted
        > Artillery like cavalry +3
        > Camels like Bows +2 foot +4 mounted
        >
        > >rear support factor for Warbands, +1 fighting against
        > Kn, Cv and LH only, with second rank Wb
        > -------

        --------------------
        Hmmmm. all these are making DBA more and more like 'Condensed DBM' -
        assuming each DBA element represents roughly 4 DBM elements.

        In which case:
        It's high time Knights killed Blades by beating them in good going,
        (Maybe Blades should then get +1 vs knights for a second rank)
        Psiloi should be killed if beaten by any mounted in the open.
        I think Hordes should be intoroduced as troop type (2 vs everything,
        killed if beaten by Knights or Warband in good going, -2 it bad going)

        And how about some optional rules for those who want an 'in-between'
        set?
        4Kn elements (cataphracts) should lose the compulsory follow-up
        And maybe only 4Bw elements should kill knights by beating them....
        3Wb get an extra 100p of move

        Steve Burt
        steve.burt@...
      • Shirley, Dan (SEMA)
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 1999
          Or 3Wb losing the -2 for bad going. After all, Britain, Germany and Gaul
          were all pretty heavily wooded. I can't imagine Teutoberger Wald giving the
          historical result in DBA. (Can you spot the built up resentment of nearly
          ten years here?)