Old mike's models.

  • irob417410@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2001
      I think Essex ended up with most of the moulds for the MM ranges. It might
      be worth while enquiring . Most figure manufacturers retain moulds for old
      ranges especially for this kind of event. Can't loose anything by it.

      Ian
    • PAHannah@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2001
        Indeed, "Mr. Essex" did acquire the rights to the long-defunct Mike's
        Models range. (The only one range still produce is their Inca
        range.)

        I suppose it is possible that Essex would still have the old MM molds
        (I had not thought of that), but given how much space that many molds
        would take up, I rather suspect they were discarded long ago. As you
        say, no harm in asking, especially since I wouldn't be there to hear
        'em laughing that some guy in Seattle would actually WANT them. ;-)

        The "hunt" for some of the bits and pieces I need from old Mike's
        Models ranges is a pleasure in itself. This forum and want-ads on
        the
        Fanaticus Resource Page have already yielded results, both in figures
        and delightful correspondence with some fine chaps. Hoping still to
        find some Early Indian cavalry, chariots and elephants...
        //Paul A. Hannah, Seattle (PAHannah@...)
      • John Hills
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2001
          On Thu, 01 Nov 2001 14:52:10 -0000 PAHannah@... wrote:

          > The "hunt" for some of the bits and pieces I need from old Mike's
          > Models ranges is a pleasure in itself. This forum and want-ads on
          > the
          > Fanaticus Resource Page have already yielded results, both in figures
          > and delightful correspondence with some fine chaps. Hoping still to
          > find some Early Indian cavalry, chariots and elephants...

          I remember their 6 man, 4 horse chariot with great nostalgia. I had a
          few of these beasts that, under WRG 5th, would ride over just about
          anything, so long as they stayed alive long enough to do it.

          Those were the days...

          John

          ----------------------
          John Hills
          j.r.hills@...
          http://freespace.virgin.net/johnr.hills/default.html

          "Too many humans spend a lot of time in the middle of wars
          that happened centuries ago", Terry Pratchett
        • PAHannah@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2001
            The "nostalgia", as you say, John, is certainly part of the appeal I
            find in these old figures. They harken back to an earlier time in the
            hobby. (Could it be that I'm 40+, wishing I were still 20? Naw!)

            They were the first figures I painted when a friend introduced me to
            the hobby twenty years ago. Some of the first figures I painted, MM
            Tracian Peltasts and Successor Pikemen, I actually fished out of his
            garbage can! (He had just converted to the re-done 18mm MiniFigs.)

            I'm glad I held on to them. Sure, some of the casting are almost
            cartoonish. But with a good paint job...
            //Paul A. Hannah, Seattle
          • buffirn
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 1, 2001
              I have a few hundred of the old MM figures.  Nothing Paul needs, but like him, I like the look.  Now if Essex were to bring them back out as an inexpensive alternative....

              Jim
              Ever Hopeful
            • forceof1@erols.com