Midlands Open

  • duxsimon
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 10, 2017

      I am thinking of running this in Bakewell on either 10 or 11 June.  Could you please let me know if you are interested and, if so, preferred day (Saturday or Sunday) or any definitely can't do day.

      Thanks Simon

      PS - a sign of our topsy turvy times that the Midland Open might well be happening further North than the Northern Cup!

    • John Saunders
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 10, 2017

        Totally your call.  Those that can attend will whenever you hold it.

        Antigonas One Eye

        Sent from Outlook

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 10, 2017
          Thanks John - just doing a bit of consultation to maximise attendance!  So, can you do either day?

          Cheers

          Simon
        • Denis Grey
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 11, 2017
            Simon

            At the moment, either date would suit me.

            Denis

            On Friday, 10 February 2017, 17:51, "simoncwilson@... [DBA]" <DBA@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

            Thanks John - just doing a bit of consultation to maximise attendance!  So, can you do either day?

            Cheers

            Simon

          • smiffft
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 11, 2017
              Unable to guess at availability yet Simon, due impending work course.

              Martin
            • John Saunders
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 11, 2017

                Simon

                I can never commit until I have a date, venue and start time due to travel constraints.

                Antigonas One Eye

                Sent from Outlook

                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 17, 2017

                  Hi all,

                  Just to let you know that the Midlands Open will be taking place on Saturday 10 June at the Bakewell Medway Centre.   Registration from 1000, first game at 1030 with the intention of running six games and finishing by 1630.

                  To help me with the planning, could you please let me know if:

                  1.       You will almost certainly be there

                  2.       Possibly be there – 50/50

                  3.

                  The Medway Centre is in the centre of Bakewell and is easy walking distance from bus services connecting to Derby, Matlock, Chesterfield, Sheffield, Buxton and Manchester.  There is parking at the venue.  There are pubs and places to get food close by – not just Bakewell Puddings and Tarts!.

                  http://medwaycentre.co.uk/contact/

                  Cheers,

                  Simon

                • duxsimon
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 5, 2017
                    Here is where we are with this at the moment:

                    The Midlands Open will take place on Saturday 10 June in Bakewell from 1000 - 1630.  The venue is the Medway Centre http://medwaycentre.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/finding-the-medway-centre.pdf

                    The competition is a true open - any legal DBA v3 army from any period, based on 40mm frontages.  The army composition should be decided before the first game and stay the same for the whole tournament.

                    Competitors should also bring appropriate terrain for when they are the defender.   There will be some 30" boards available should both players agree to their use - and if there are any left.

                    The following people have confirmed their attendance and have been reserved places - do let me know if you are unable to come:

                    Pete Duckworth
                    Will Wyler
                    Scott Russell
                    Graham Fordham
                    Tamara Fordham
                    Phil Steele
                    Martin Myers
                    Mark Johnson
                    Phil Johnson
                    Patrick Dale
                    John Saunders
                    Nick Wright-Carter
                    Robert Rush

                    The following have said they may be able to come - please let me know if you decide you would like to confirm a place.

                    Denis Gray
                    Martin Smith
                    Philip Donald
                    Arnaud
                    Kevin Thompson
                    Tom Whitehead
                    Peter Manning

                    If anyone else is interested, just let me know.

                    Thanks,

                    Simon
                  • duxsimon
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 9, 2017
                      As we are now up to 16 reserved places with another eight showing keen interest, I have provisionally booked a second room at the Medway Centre in Bakewell so that there will be room at the inn for all if required.  I will probably have to make a decision one way or the other in early April so please do let me know if you think it is likely you will be there on 10 June.

                      Simon
                    • duxsimon
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 26, 2017
                        With about 10 weeks to go, we now have 20 players confirmed and 7 possibles.  If you do think you will be able to come to Bakewell on 10 June, please let me know as I may well have to cap numbers!

                        Cheers,

                        Simon
                      • duxsimon
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 12, 2017
                          It now looks as if we will have 25 - 30 participants at the Midland Open in Bakewell on Saturday 10 June.

                          I have e-mailed all those who have requested a place with the details.   I am pretty much at the limit for numbers for the venue but do contact me if you would like to be put on a reserves list.

                          Regards,

                          Simon
                        • smiffft
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 9, 2017
                            Good luck all....have a great day.
                            :-)

                            Martin
                          • Bob Gunter
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jun 10, 2017
                              Where is the Midlands Open located?

                              Bob
                              (Nashville, TN)

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jun 10, 2017
                                It is in Bakewell, a small market town in the Peak District National Park to the south west of Sheffield an north of Nottingham/Derby in the UK.

                                Regards

                                Simon
                              • duxsimon
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jun 10, 2017
                                  A great turnout today.  There were 24 participants from a broad age range and it was especially good to welcome some new faces and two ladies to the competition.

                                  I will publish full details of armies represented and rankings in the near future.

                                  In the meantime, congratulations to Pete Duckworth who came top after an unbroken series of victories with his II/54b Qaramita army.

                                  In the top ten were:

                                      Neil Mason            I/51 Neo Sargonid
                                  3     Mark Skelton         IV/38 Granadines
                                  4     Phil Johnson          II/75a Palmyran
                                  5     Scott Russell         II/36 Classical Indian
                                  6     Kim Dent-Brown     II/14 Ariarathid Kappadokian
                                  7     Will Whyler            II/26 Sarmatian
                                  8     Patrick Myers         II/36a Graeco-Bactrian
                                  9=   Tamarra Fordham   IV/46 Feudal French
                                  9=   Graham Fordham    IV/18 Lithuanian

                                  Regards,

                                  Simon
                                • duxsimon
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jun 11, 2017
                                    Here is a compete list of players and their armies.

                                    Pete Duckworth               III/54b Qaramita
                                    Neil Mason                     I/51 Neo Sargonid
                                    Mark Skelton                  IV/38 Granadines
                                    Phil Johnson                   II/75a Palmyran
                                    Scott Russell                  II/3b Classical Indian
                                    Kim Dent-Brown             II/14 Ariarathid Kappadokian
                                    Will Whyler                    II/26 Sarmatian
                                    Patrick Myers                 II/36a Graeco-Bactrian
                                    Tamarra Fordham           IV/46 Feudal French
                                    Graham Fordham            IV/18 Lithuaniane is the full list of armies and results.
                                    Robert Rush                   II/22 Arabo Aramaean
                                    Aranud Marmier             II/42b Tamil
                                    Nick Wright-Carter          II/49 Marian Roman
                                    David Dodd                   II/5c Theban Greek
                                    Rosie Dent-Brown           II/15 Alexandrian Imperial
                                    Martin Myers                 II/61b  Xianbei
                                    Peter Manning                II/19 Seleucid
                                    Mark Johnson                II/3b Classical Indian
                                    Phil Steele                    II/23a Later Pre-Islamic Arab
                                    Tom Connelly                II/5e Aitolians
                                    Richard Pulley               III/54b Qaramita
                                    Frank Shaw                   II/12  Alexandrian Macedonian
                                    Patrick Dale                   11/4d Warring States
                                    John Saunders                III/7b   Pre-samurai Ritsuryo

                                    I will also create an album on the Yahoo site so that people can add their photos.

                                    Cheers

                                    Simon
                                  • duxsimon
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jun 13, 2017
                                      I have added photos, as has Pete Duckworth, to the Midlands 2017 Photo Album.  Sorry I couldn't get all 24 armies photographed but do feel free to add your own if you were there.  Must now get a better camera!

                                      Cheers

                                      Simon
                                    • htrowkcud@gmail.com
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jun 13, 2017
                                        Cheers Simon.

                                        What a great event. Is 24 a record for a DBA 3.0 event? I think so. Clearly you also made it a family friendly event. Great that you have created such an inclusive event which eats away at the age and gender barriers in our wargaming world. at last an event NOT characterized by increasing greyness - what a triumph! A great venue in a lovely setting with all requisite facilities in he venue or close at hand plus free gorgeous flapjacks. What's not to love?