Re: Pushed back is destroyed was Re: [DBA] Turning to Face???

  • Robert Beattie
    Message 1 of 147 , Mar 8, 2013
      This is strange language. How can a destroyed element do anything, it is destroyed??? To paraphrase as great epitaph.
      The element is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet 'it's maker! It rests in peace! It's kicked the bucket, It has shuffled off this mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! IT IS AN EX-ELEMENT!!

      Bob

      On Mar 7, 2013, at 6:48 PM, John Saunders wrote:

      > Bill I agree that it should be specifically stated that a destroyed element does not recoil or is not pushed back, or otherwise. Antigonas One Eye
      > To: DBA@yahoogroups.com
      > From: turenne@...
      > Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 20:50:32 +0000
      > Subject: Pushed back is destroyed was Re: [DBA] Turning to Face???

      > --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, Robert Beattie <beattie@...> wrote:
      >

      >> A pushed back element, by definition, is not in combat, but behind an element in combat that must recoil and so the second element is pushed back. Current understanding among the Helpers is that if an element is
      >
      >> 1. in close combat to its front and second rank behind
      >
      >> 2. and also has an enemy in flank contact, front element does not recoil, but instead is destroyed.
      >

      > Actually, Phil has slipped in a change that means this is no longer true.
      >

      > The provision that an element with a "less" score was destroyed if also contacted to flank has gone.
      >

      > Now we are back to the element in combat recoiling and and being destroyed by recoiling with enemy in flank contact, as it used to be.
      >

      >> Thus with no recoil, there is no push back.
      >

      >> But now, if an element is in flank contact with the element behind the front element in combat and the front element must recoil, it actually can recoil as it has no element on its flank. However, the second rank element that has enemy on its flank is now pushed back and is destroyed. The front element takes its place.
      >

      > One result of this roll-back change is that the front element does try to recoil and dies because the second element blocks the recoil (being unable to be pushed back). The front element therefore dies immediately the recoil starts but we are back to the question of whether the rear element initiates being pushed back (& therefore dies) or is never pushed back (& therefore survives).
      >

      > Bill

    • lkmjbc3
      Message 147 of 147 , Apr 28 9:57 AM
        Yes, this is by design.
        Phil wants all flanked elements in a column destroyed.  Your last example is a bit off though.  In say, a 4 deep column that is hit from the front ... and then the last element is hit in the flank.... at the end of the move, the last element would turn to face.  The front 3 could still be destroyed... so, your point is still valid.

        Columns are not good formations in DBA 3.  This is especially deadly in woods as Ps can now move in groups.  Beware the ambush on the road.

        Joe Collins