Re: [DBA] [2.2] Rules clarification vol1

  • Andreas Johansson
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 18, 2013
      Catch is, what if a 200p move would be entirely in GGo, but a 500p
      move would enter BGo? If you move 200p, you moved only in GGo and
      ought have moved 500p instead, if you move 500p you move partially in
      BGo and ought have moved 200p.

      On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 5:07 AM, Robert Beattie <beattie@...> wrote:
      > It seems to me that if the entire move is in good going then it is 500 P however if any of the move is in allowed bad going then the move is only 200 P.
      >
      > Bob
      > Dictated and sent from my iPad Which (explains Spelling errors and weird grammar!)
      >
      > On Jan 18, 2013, at 2:38 PM, Andreas Johansson <andreasj@...> wrote:
      >
      >> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM, kuijt kuijt@...> wrote:
      >> [snip]

      >> > How far behind it? LH don't flee into bad going.
      >>
      >> Yes they do. "A fleeing element [...] changes direction only by the
      >> minimum needed to avoid enemy [..] or, unless Psiloi or Light Horse,
      >> bad going". They don't avoid it, so by implication they continue into
      >> it.
      >>
      >> (At what speed is not entirely clear, in particular when the BGo would
      >> be reached by a 500p move but not by a 200p one.)
      >>
      >> --
      >> Andreas Johansson
      >>
      >> Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

      Andreas Johansson

    • Denis Grey
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 19, 2013
        In those circumstances, I would go with the ruling which Jack posted yesterday, i.e. that if the LH hit bad going after they have already moved >200p, they stop at that point.

        However, that is just my view and, given the various interpretations posted by different and very experienced 2.2 players, perhaps the wording in v3 ought to be amended to make clear what is meant to happen.

        Denis

        On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 5:07 AM, Robert Beattie mailto:beattie%40umich.edu> wrote:
        > It seems to me that if the entire move is in good going then it is 500 P however if any of the move is in allowed bad going then the move is only 200 P.
        >
        > Bob
        > Dictated and sent from my iPad Which (explains Spelling errors and weird grammar!)

      • Robert Beattie
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 19, 2013
          A 500 P move could not enter bad going because if any of the move is in bad going, the move can be only 200 P.

          Recoil, turn around, Put down the measuring stick and see how far you can go in good going. If you've got 500 p of open-space then you move all that distance. if bad going hits you before 500 P, then you move up to the bad going and stop. If the bad going is within 200 P then you can move 200 P as far as you can into the bad going and out.

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 19, 2013
            Which is very fine and sensible; only, the rules don't say it.

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 19, 2013
              Saying the rules don't say it doesn't make it true. Please say what the rules do say.

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 19, 2013
                They don't say anything! It's not possible to tell from the (2.2)
                rules as written how far an element is supposed to move in such cases.

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 19, 2013
                  Which is why I suggested earlier today that the point should be clarified in v3.

                  DG

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 19, 2013
                    As it happens, it is. Elements flee their full tactical move for the
                    terrain they start in, even if they enter different terrain during the
                    flight.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 19, 2013
                      Andreas

                      Thank you. It is there, but I had missed it.

                      Denis

                      On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 10:39 PM, Denis Grey mailto:denisgrey%40yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
                      > Which is why I suggested earlier today that the point should be clarified in v3.
                      >
                      > DG

                    • John Saunders
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 19, 2013
                        Which was my analysis as the first response to the query Antigonas One Eye
                        To: DBA@yahoogroups.com
                        From: andreasj@...
                        Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 22:51:26 +0100

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 19, 2013
                          So for 12 years no one has known how to flee light horse? This is how my group has played it.

                          1. A fleeing element recoils its own base depth, then turns 180 degrees and moves an additional full tactical move distance towards its original rear.

                          Moves an additional full tactical move distance.
                          500 paces If Light Horse moving only in good going or on a road.
                          or
                          200 paces if mounted troops moving off-road in bad going.

                          So if the LH enters Bad Going within 200p, that is its max move. If the bad going is less than 200p ahead, then the LH will move a max of 200p into and through the BG.

                          If the BG is over 200p away, then it moves until it hits the BG and stops. It cannot enter the BG if it has moved more than 200p. If the BG is over 500p, then it just stops at 500p.

                          Others can ignore the situation by saying the rules do not cover it, but this is how we play it. Just like a regular move. Well, this is how we did play it. Now we use the clear 3.0 rule.

                          Bob

                        • Phil Barker
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 22, 2013
                            It is already in.