Re: Base Depth Movement

  • lawomicron
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2012
      Well, for one thing, it makes chariots move faster than "leg" equivalents.

      Secondly it looks more complicated than having only 4 move distances that cover everything in all types of going. You have to remember not only how many length units each troop type moves, but also which length units (1.5, 2, 3 or 4 cm). It's worse than having foot move in centimetres and mounted in inches.

      --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, "russcat9" <snowcat9@...> wrote:

      > Is there a reason why movement is not done by Base Depth?
      >

      > Deep based elements (eg. artillery 4cm deep) that are meant to be slow = 1/2BD, say 2cm.
      > Narrow depth elements (close foot, 1.5cm deep) that are meant to be moderately slow = 4BD, say 6cm. Quicker foot (2cm deep) could be 4-5BD = 8-10cm.
      > Cavalry depth elements (3cm) that are meant to be slow = 2BD, say 6cm.
      > Cavalry depth elements (3cm) that are meant to be moderate = 4BD, say 12cm.
      > Cavalry depth elements (3cm) that are meant to be fast = 5BD, say 15cm.
      > And so on.
      >
      > It seems easy enough to get the right combinations for troop types, while not producing excessively long-range (quick) move distances.

    • russcat9
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2012
        Chariot bases aren't cavalry depth. They're deeper. So a separate move distance would be applied to them. eg 3BD.

        However, I take your point re complication (ie more to remember).

        Cheers