Idea needing advice on scale.

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2011
      Lets say someone had the stupid idea of building "all" the DBA armies.

      What scale would be best out of 10, 15 or 20mm to be able to get the right models for the right units.

      Any advice on suppliers of your suggested scale would be well recieved.

      Thanks
    • myron shipp
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2011
        Hi

        I would go 15mm and go to the madaxemans site as he has links to every ancients manufacturer for each army, its in the FOG wiki.

        Cheers
        Myron

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 1, 2011
          Brian,

          I am a fan of 15 MM. Large enough to still paint some detail, yet small enough to store fairly easily, plenty of suppliers to chose from, reasonably priced and lots of figure lines to let you create just about any army you want. I also like the fact that an element does not weigh so much that if you drop it it doesn't break the table or your toe! Good luck and be sure to share lots of pictures with us.

          Terry

          "My heart has joined the Thousand, for my friend stopped running today." Richard Adams

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 2, 2011
            Hi Brian

            Its a great project. I envy you the storage space, enthusiasm and other requisite resources.

            Although the ranges of 10mm & 20mm have expanded greatly of late I think you will still struggle to find manufacturers for more obscure armies particularly for far Eastern, African and American troops unless you opt for 15mm.

            Either way good luck & do let us know how you get on...

            Regards,

            Pete D.

            --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <count_zero99uk@...> wrote:

            > Lets say someone had the stupid idea of building "all" the DBA armies.
            >
            > What scale would be best out of 10, 15 or 20mm to be able to get the right models for the right units.
            >
            > Any advice on suppliers of your suggested scale would be well recieved.
            >
            > Thanks

          • Brian
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 2, 2011
              Im going to start small, but its how i tend to get into these things. Have to start somewhere, im thinking either Vikings, or one of the Romans. Going to price up 6 armies for the campaign ideas.

              --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, "PJ" <pj.duckworth@...> wrote:

              > Hi Brian
              >
              > Its a great project. I envy you the storage space, enthusiasm and other requisite resources.
              >
              > Although the ranges of 10mm & 20mm have expanded greatly of late I think you will still struggle to find manufacturers for more obscure armies particularly for far Eastern, African and American troops unless you opt for 15mm.
              >
              > Either way good luck & do let us know how you get on...
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Pete D.
              >
              > --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <count_zero99uk@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Lets say someone had the stupid idea of building "all" the DBA armies.
              > >
              > > What scale would be best out of 10, 15 or 20mm to be able to get the right models for the right units.
              > >
              > > Any advice on suppliers of your suggested scale would be well recieved.
              > >
              > > Thanks

            • John Hills
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 3, 2011
                This is a good way to go.

                I can field a load of armies for around 1450, ranging from  the Scots down to
                the Berbers, and stretching across to the Teutonic Knights and Lithuanians, once
                I finish painting these two.

                I have now got to work on a set covering the eastern Med at around 60BC.  I
                started with Judeans (splitters!) and now have Ptolomaic, Commagene, Galatian,
                Kappodokian, Mithridatic and Roman.  I will probably add Kyrenian Greek and
                Libyan to join up with my recently finished (ie last night!) Numidians.

                It is great fun and can lead you to armies that you would not normally build.

                Have fun!

                John

                ________________________________
                Im going to start small, but its how i tend to get into these things. Have to
                start somewhere, im thinking either Vikings, or one of the Romans. Going to
                price up 6 armies for the campaign ideas.

                --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, "PJ" <pj.duckworth@...> wrote:

                > Hi Brian
                >
                > Its a great project. I envy you the storage space, enthusiasm and other
                >requisite resources.
                >
                > Although the ranges of 10mm & 20mm have expanded greatly of late I think you
                >will still struggle to find manufacturers for more obscure armies particularly
                >for far Eastern, African and American troops unless you opt for 15mm.
                >
                > Either way good luck & do let us know how you get on...
                >
                > Regards,
                >
                > Pete D.
                >
                > --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, "Brian" <count_zero99uk@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Lets say someone had the stupid idea of building "all" the DBA armies.
                > >
                > > What scale would be best out of 10, 15 or 20mm to be able to get the right
                >models for the right units.
                > >
                > > Any advice on suppliers of your suggested scale would be well recieved.
                > >
                > > Thanks

              • Ian Thompson
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 3, 2011
                  I went for the classic 6 armies for my 6mm project - Syracuse, cartage, Rome, Italian, Gaul, Spanish - a fairly balanced set of 6.

                  Cheers, Thomo the lost
                  Http://thomo.coldie.net

                  This message has not been sent from my PC but rather it is sent from my iPhone
                  Please excuse the brevity and any errors
                • Jim Webster
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 3, 2011
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 4, 2011
                      I went thru a similar evaluation/decision making process, focusing in on 6mm 10mm, and 15mm, as I personally prefer the "look" of smaller scale armies on the battlefield - er, I mean tabletop... ;)

                      One big advantage of going with 15mm is that you have a reasonable chance of finding someone else with a 15mm army to play against. But in my case, nobody here plays DBA, so (like you) I would be supplying both sides of the battle for me, my son and our friends, making it a moot point...

                      My plan is to build armies for each of the "historical campaigns listed in the DBA rules, and I am starting with "Feudal Britan-1075 AD", and hope to eventually do this for each of the DBA historical campaigns. I am also cross referencing other mini wargaming rulesets that are popular locally, so that my collection of minis could be used for those as well. This is an additional layer of work in figuring out that aspect, but for me I think worth it in the end.

                      I am new to painting minis, so part of my decision making process was to get samples in each range and try my hand at painting them first. I found each of the mini manufacturers to be quite friendly, helpful and offered good advice (not just "buy my product"). 6mm paint went on fastest and easiest. 15mm allowed for the most detail (which was good and bad, as my lack of painting skill was most apparent here).

                      I found that there are enough minis in each of those scales to do what I was looking to do. 15mm seemed to have the most/best variety, and 6mm the least choices, but I found PLENTY of variety in 10mm in pendraken, old glory grandscale 10's, and magister militum (and others) for the DBA historical campaigns and beyond.

                      My painting experiment along with a final side by side based look comparisons helped me to decide to go with 10mm (prior to painting I was leaning toward 6mm). I am doubling the figures per base listed in the 15mm rules for my 10mm minis, which fills up the base nicely and (for me) gives me best combination of a massed armies look with a good level of detail.

                      Whatever you decide, have fun and good luck!
                      -Greg

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 4, 2011
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 4, 2011
                          Great tip, thank you for pointing that out. :)

                          > > My plan is to build armies for each of the "historical campaigns listed in
                          > > the DBA rules, and I am starting with "Feudal Britan-1075 AD", and hope to
                          > > eventually do this for each of the DBA historical campaigns. I am also
                          > > cross referencing other mini wargaming rulesets that are popular locally,
                          > > so that my collection of minis could be used for those as well. This is
                          > > an additional layer of work in figuring out that aspect, but for me I
                          > > think worth it in the end.
                          > >

                          > You will find that some armies in larger sizes can be built out of a
                          > collection of DBA armies, so the Komnenian Byzantines are their own DBA
                          > list, but when the Army was based round four mercenary regiments, the
                          > Latinikon (Norman knights), the Scythikon (Pecheneg mercenaries), the
                          > Turkopouloi ('Turkish' troops) and the Varangians (Norse and English
                          > 'housecarls')
                          > So you can see how your Turkish, Anglo Saxon, Pecheneg and Norman DBA armies
                          > can be added to your Byzantines ;-)
                          >
                          > Patrician Roman is one which should really be done on a larger size by
                          > putting together what DBA armies you have to make you DBA late Romans up to
                          > a required size ;-)
                          > Jim

                        • Jim Webster
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 4, 2011
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 5, 2011

                              > --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, Ian Thompson <thomo.the.lost@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I went for the classic 6 armies for my 6mm project - Syracuse, cartage, Rome, Italian, Gaul, Spanish - a fairly balanced set of 6.

                              Does "cartage" have a lot of chariots and war wagons?
                            • baguette19eme
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 10, 2011
                                A friend of mine is in the process of doing all the armies.By now I think he totals 150 and he's doing them in sequence started from no1 and all in 20mm

                                I like your choice of doing the classic six of carthage in 6mm

                                I prefer Heroics.

                                David

                                Malta