few questions of a french player

  • Pascal Olivier
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 5, 2009
      Hello everybody,

      I have (at last !) find DBA players in my region. After 2 games, we have some questions about rules :

      1) My oponnent have a Blade element supported by a Psiloi element. I charge the front of the Blade with an Auxiliaire element. Then, I charge the flank of the Blade with an other Auxiliaire element. The front of my second Auxiliaire is in contact with the flanck of the Blade and the Psiloi.

      Question : Do the Psiloi turning to face my second Auxiliaire element ? If Yes, do my second Auxiliaire conform his front with the front of the Psiloi ? Do my Auxliaire fight with the Psiloi ?

      2) My opponent charge the front and the flank of my LH element with 2 Auxiliaire element (with 2 PIP). The result of the combat is a draw. So nobody recoil, flee or is destoyed.
      In my turn my Cv element want to contact the front of the Auxiliaire element who flanked me. In fact my Cv "see" a part of the front of the Axilaire element who excced the flanck of my LH.

      Question : Is it permited ? If yes do the Auxilaire conform wtih my Cv ?
      If my Cv can charge the flank of this Auxiliaire, what happend ? The Axiliaire turn to face my Cv ?

      3) In the end of my turn, my opponent have lost three elements, and I have lost only the General's element.

      Question : Have I lost the game ?

      Thanks for yours answers.

      I Hope you understand my english.

      Sincerely,

      Pascal Olivier

    • DLeecrenshaw@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 5, 2009
        Glad you have discovered DBA!? Stephane? plays DBA in France and may be able to answer your questions in your native tongue (http://debellisantiquitatis.blogspot.com/2008/06/quest-ce-que-dba-dba-est-une-rgle-en.html), but I'll give it a shot:

        #1 the second aux element must be in front corner to front corner contact with the blade, and the psiloi does not turn to face.

        #2You can charge the flanking aux with your cav as long as you can make front corner to front corner contact, in which case the aux would conform to the front of your cav.

        #3 No.? You must lose the general AND MORE total elements (including the general) than your opponent to lose the game because of the loss of a general.

        Good luck to you,

        David

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 5, 2009
          1. No. If your second Ax contacts the flank edge of both the Bd and the Ps
          (left front corner of your Ax touching the left front corner of the Bd if
          -for example- it is the left flank of the Bd and Ps being contacted), then
          neither turns to face. HOWEVER, if you have the movement to do so, you
          could contact just the flank edge of the Ps (left front corner of your Ax
          touching left front corner of the Ps for example). Then the Ps would have
          to turn to face. The Ps would fight your second Ax at a disadvantage, AND
          it would no longer be able to give rear support to the Bd, AND it would
          prevent the Bd being able to recoil.

          2. No. Your Cv must be able to make full front edge contact. Just being
          able to "see" and contact part of a front edge does not constitute legal
          contact.

          And Yes. If your Cv can make same front corner (left to left or right to
          right) and full front edge to side edge contact with the enemy Ax, then the
          Ax will turn to face your Cv at the end of the turn.

          3. No. You must have lost your general AND more elements (not including
          SCh, camp followers and denizens) than your opponent to lose the game.

          Terry in Spokane

          _____

[...]

          17:55:00

        • Eric Lindberg
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2009
            --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, "Pascal Olivier" <Pascal.OLIVIER6@...> wrote:

            > 1) My oponnent have a Blade element supported by a Psiloi element. I charge the front of the Blade with an Auxiliaire element. Then, I charge the flank of the Blade with an other Auxiliaire element. The front of my second Auxiliaire is in contact with the flanck of the Blade and the Psiloi.
            >
            > Question : Do the Psiloi turning to face my second Auxiliaire element ? If Yes, do my second Auxiliaire conform his front with the front of the Psiloi ? Do my Auxliaire fight with the Psiloi ?

            Short answer - No, the psiloi does not turn to face and does not take part in the combat.

            Long answer - To count as a valid contact for combat, the attacker must move into front corner-to-front corner contact or front edge to rear edge contact with the enemy. Based on your description, the flanking auxilia had moved to contact the blade. Note that if the other auxilia had not moved to attack the blade to the front, then the blade would have turned to face the auxilia, with the psiloi moving behind the blade.

            > 2) My opponent charge the front and the flank of my LH element with 2 Auxiliaire element (with 2 PIP). The result of the combat is a draw. So nobody recoil, flee or is destoyed.
            > In my turn my Cv element want to contact the front of the Auxiliaire element who flanked me. In fact my Cv "see" a part of the front of the Axilaire element who excced the flanck of my LH.
            >
            > Question : Is it permited ? If yes do the Auxilaire conform wtih my Cv ?
            > If my Cv can charge the flank of this Auxiliaire, what happend ? The Axiliaire turn to face my Cv ?

            I'm not sure exactly about the geometry here. If the cavalry attacked the flank of the auxiliary, then the auxiliary turns to face. The cavalry cannot contact the front of the auxiliary exposed beyond the rear of the LH. That is, the cavalry can't attack the auxiliary by moving behind the LH with its side touching the LH's rear and its front edge touching the exposed front of the auxiliary.

            > 3) In the end of my turn, my opponent have lost three elements, and I have lost only the General's element.
            >
            > Question : Have I lost the game ?

            No. The game continues until one side has lost four elements or lost the general AND has lost more elements than the other side. Since your friend had lost more elements than you, the game was not yet over.

            > Thanks for yours answers.
            >
            > I Hope you understand my english.

            Sans doute meilleur qu'on peut me comprendre quand j'essaie a parler en francais!

            If these are the only questions you're running into after two games, you're doing quite well!

            --
            Eric Lindberg
          • Pascal Olivier
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 5, 2009
              Thanks a lot for yours messages... We had playing like yours answers because it seem logical after reading the rules... But we need confirmations and you do.

              After our next game (at Thursday), perhaps we'll ask you some others questions.

              Pascal... Happy to find DBA players....

              --
              Eric Lindberg

            • Dave Beatty
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 5, 2009
                1. If the front corner of your flanking Aux is in contact with the front corner of the Blade, then you are fighting the Blade only (Blades only get rear support from Ps if fighting warband or mounted).

                If the front corner of your flanking Aux is in contact with the front corner of the Ps, then the Ps is fighting your flanking Aux and will turn to face.

                2. If the front corner of your Cav contacts the front corner of the enemy's flanking Aux, the Aux is fighting your Cav and turns to face. You can contac the front of the flanking Aux, but no combat occurs because you must conform to the front of the Aux and this is not possible because your LH is in the way. Your LH fights the Aux in front of it.

                3. No, you have not lost. You only lose the game if your general is killed AND you have lost MORE elements than your opponent.

                Cheers,

                Dave