Re: DBA with 1/72 plastics?

  • young_stan
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
      --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, Derek Wagener <frizzenspark@...> wrote:

      > For $31.89 You can purchase a complete MIDDLE ANGLO-SAXON 701-1014AD
      Model: DBA v2- III/24b Manufactured by Essex Your Most Humble and
      Obedient Servant

      > Derek A. Wagener

      But.!
      For $8.00 you can get 48 HaT Early Saxon warriors.
      http://www.angelfire.com/biz/toysoldierhq/Hat1.html
      http://www.hat72.com
      http://www.hat.com/Curr2/Bx6006S.html

      Cheers,

      Stan.

      > Hi all:Many thanks for all your responses and useful advice. I had
      an old box of 1/72 plastic vikings lying around which I have started
      to paint up and my son wants to get some Saxons to oppose them; so it
      looks like we will be exploring the 1/72 plastics a little further. I
      must admit that I am more fond of 15 mm metal miniatures having played
      Napoleonic wargames with them for so many years (habit I suppose!). It
      also seems that this is the scale which most clubs and societies use
      for playing DBA, so I might look into purchasing a couple of armies
      for future use.Thanks again everyone,Sam

    • Sam Heads
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 2, 2008
        Thanks for the info Stan... do HaT also sell Vikings, Franks etc? I couldn't see any on their website, but I didn't see the Saxons either!

        Cheers, Sam
      • young_stan
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 3, 2008
          --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, Sam Heads <grylloidea@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for the info Stan... do HaT also sell Vikings, Franks etc? I
          couldn't see any on their website, but I didn't see the Saxons either!

          > Cheers, Sam

          HaT do Franks.
          http://www.hat.com/Curr2/Bx6007F.html
          http://www.hat.com/Othr7/Sabel11P.html

          Strelets & Orion do Vikings.

          See this page at Plastic Soldier Review for Dark Age sets..
          http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/PeriodDarkAges.html

          Cheers,

          Stan
        • orcafinn
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 6, 2008
            I have 30+ plus DBA armies in 20mm plastic.

            I have 15mm DBA armies for local tourneys, but DBA tourneys are the
            entire reason to play the game.

            the quality and quantity of 20mm platic figs is just astounding
            anymore - we play 'basement' DBA games all the time with my 20mm army
            collection.

            If you are trying to intro friends into DBA, putting together some
            20mm armies is a great way to start. Cheaper, and IMHO easier to
            paint. And with the new Krylon plastic primer paint, the paint job
            easier with no flaking.

            In some ways this reminds me of the HOTT situation in HMGS Great
            Lakes. Here, 15mm is the preffered scale for HOTT. I have several
            dozen HOTT armies in 25mm, but we don't run 25mm HOTT tourneys. Do
            they just gather dust? Nope, we play them all the time, just not in
            tourneys.

            If the main reason you have to play DBA is to play in tourneys with
            your own armies, do not paint 20mm armies.

            Otherwise, have at it!

            --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander Hay" <alexanderhay@...> wrote:

            > Just my .02 worth, but unless you are living in an area with a lot
            of
            > DBA players, you should be willing to provide all the armies for
            > potential players. I think that the biggest obstacle for most gamers
            > is the fact that in order to play they need to have an army
            prepared,
            > and they cannot go out and buy one at the department store. Time
            being
            > what it is, most people cannot even conceive of themselves sitting
            at
            > their dinner table painting tiny figures.
            >
            > I started out with a DBM Marian Roman army, and after almost a year
            of
            > painting played with it twice. So I broke it up, turned it into 5
            DBA
            > Roman armies, and a Numidian army. Added some Gauls and had a Gallic
            > army. Got some older Roman figures and turned one DBA army into a
            > Polybian Roman army. And of course the gobs and gobs of psiloi you
            get
            > with any DBM army makes for a fierce and lusty band of Early
            Libyans.
            > 2 of the Marion Roman DBA armies were sacrificed on the altar of
            EBay.
            > I was also working on a Samurai DBM army, and realized it too would
            > never be played, so I converted what I had painted into 2 DBA
            armies.
            > These were all in 15mm. I also have some 6mm projects, and some
            > 1/72nd plastic projects in the box right now, and when motivation
            > strikes I might start painting again. But I always paint an army
            with
            > the idea of painting its opponent. That way if I can get someone
            > interested in playing a game or two, we don't have to worry about
            > whether or not the fellow wants to paint an army or buy one on ebay.
            >
            > I have been thinking about getting 1/72nd armies and essentially
            > painting them opposing colors mounted on bases. Rather like chess.
            It