Re: Roman Campaigns

  • sofcarthage
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 2007
      > I have read 2 reviews for Phalanx Games "Nero - Legacy of a Despot"
      and
      > neither of them were very positive - in fact they were close to
      > damning. I have also downloaded the rules to have a read and thought
      > that the game shows some promise...

      As the reviews pointed out, the game has problems. The map is pretty
      and the components are nice. I have not used it as a basis for a DBA
      campaign, as I could barely sit thru the playing of the game.

      I don't know how involved you want your DBA campaign to be, but my
      suggestion would be Pax Romana. I could teach you the mechanics of the
      game very quickly and help you adapt it to your campaign setting.

      Barry
    • juliandba
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 5, 2007
        > I don't know how involved you want your DBA campaign to be, but my
        > suggestion would be Pax Romana. I could teach you the mechanics of
        the game very quickly and help you adapt it to your campaign setting.

        > Barry

        I would appreciate that Barry.

        Idealy I would want the campaign to be reasonably detailed without
        being too slow in play.

        What I always look for in a campaign is period flavour. For example;
        in my reading the rules of "Nero" I particularly liked the combined
        use of Assassin, Praetorian and Bribe cards in order to eliminate an
        Emperor hiding out in Rome and that doing this will limit other
        options that player may have.

        Thanks and regards,

        Julian
        East Fremantle
      • hammurabi70
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 6, 2007
          Have you tried the Roman ones here:

          http://www.fanaticus.org/DBA/campaigns/index.html

          --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, "juliandba" <juliandonohoe@...> wrote:

          > > I don't know how involved you want your DBA campaign to be, but
          my
          > > suggestion would be Pax Romana. I could teach you the mechanics
          of
          > the game very quickly and help you adapt it to your campaign
          setting.

          > > Barry
          >
          > I would appreciate that Barry.
          >
          > Idealy I would want the campaign to be reasonably detailed without
          > being too slow in play.
          >
          > What I always look for in a campaign is period flavour. For
          example;
          > in my reading the rules of "Nero" I particularly liked the combined
          > use of Assassin, Praetorian and Bribe cards in order to eliminate
          an
          > Emperor hiding out in Rome and that doing this will limit other
          > options that player may have.
          >
          > Thanks and regards,
          >
          > Julian
          > East Fremantle

        • Rich Baier
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 6, 2007
            For an ancients campaign, look here:
            http://home.comcast.net/~dicemanrick/Index.htm

            We played this for a few years in Pittsburgh and had a great time doing it.

            Rich Baier
            Pittsburgh, PA
            http://spearhead1944.com/shweb1.htm

          • juliandba
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 7, 2007
              Excellent work Rich,

              I'll have to spend a bit of time looking through the rules.

              The different scenarios on Fanaticus are also of interest. Last year
              at Nunawading Wargmes Association we had a go at a simplified version
              of Mike Demans's "Friends Romans Countrymen" with an improved map.
              Unfortuneately we were playing at a club only once a month and after
              the campaign manager departed for WA in June '06 it fizzled out.

              I have no doubt that if played weekly, Mikes campaign would be a
              ripper.

              My own "Year of the Four Emperors" was fairly successful in
              Melbourne. Sadly the link no longer works on Fanaticus and I didn't
              save an electronic copy though I have a hard copy in storage
              somewhere.

              I would also like to have a go at Rory Naismith's "Caesar's Ashes"
              sometime soon. Currently working on building up 28mm Marian armies
              and then will have to find some opponents in WA.

              Thanks to all for the advice,

              Julian.

              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 9, 2007
                My own "Year of the Four Emperors" was fairly successful in
                Melbourne. Sadly the link no longer works on Fanaticus and I didn't
                save an electronic copy though I have a hard copy in storage
                somewhere.

                Do you have a synopsis of the campaign? [Not the history - I know
                that but the flow of the game].

                --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, "juliandba" <juliandonohoe@...> wrote:

                > Excellent work Rich,
                >
                > I'll have to spend a bit of time looking through the rules.
                >
                > The different scenarios on Fanaticus are also of interest. Last
                year
                > at Nunawading Wargmes Association we had a go at a simplified
                version
                > of Mike Demans's "Friends Romans Countrymen" with an improved map.
                > Unfortuneately we were playing at a club only once a month and
                after
                > the campaign manager departed for WA in June '06 it fizzled out.
                >
                > I have no doubt that if played weekly, Mikes campaign would be a
                > ripper.
                >
                > My own "Year of the Four Emperors" was fairly successful in
                > Melbourne. Sadly the link no longer works on Fanaticus and I didn't
                > save an electronic copy though I have a hard copy in storage
                > somewhere.
                >
                > I would also like to have a go at Rory Naismith's "Caesar's Ashes"
                > sometime soon. Currently working on building up 28mm Marian armies
                > and then will have to find some opponents in WA.
                >
                > Thanks to all for the advice,
                >
                > Julian.
                >
                > --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, "Rich Baier" <dicemanrick@> wrote:
                > >
                > > For an ancients campaign, look here:
                > > http://home.comcast.net/~dicemanrick/Index.htm
                > >
                > > We played this for a few years in Pittsburgh and had a great time
                > doing it.
                > >
                > > Rich Baier
                > > Pittsburgh, PA
                > > http://spearhead1944.com/shweb1.htm

              • Chris Brantley
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 11, 2007
                  --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, "hammurabi70" <hammurabi70@...> wrote:

                  > My own "Year of the Four Emperors" was fairly successful in
                  > Melbourne. Sadly the link no longer works on Fanaticus and I didn't
                  > save an electronic copy though I have a hard copy in storage
                  > somewhere.

                  Here you go:

                  http://www.fanaticus.org/DBA/campaigns/FourEmperors/FourEmperors69AD.pd
                • juliandba
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 19, 2007
                    Thanks Chris,

                    But I think you will find that this link no longer works.

                    Regards,

                    Julian.

                    --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Brantley" <brant@...> wrote:

                    > --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, "hammurabi70" <hammurabi70@> wrote:
                    >
                    > > My own "Year of the Four Emperors" was fairly successful in
                    > > Melbourne. Sadly the link no longer works on Fanaticus and I
                    didn't
                    > > save an electronic copy though I have a hard copy in storage
                    > > somewhere.
                    >
                    > Here you go:

                    http://www.fanaticus.org/DBA/campaigns/FourEmperors/FourEmperors69AD.p

                  • Michael Fischer
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 19, 2007
                      Works fine for me - if you include the trailing "d" and "f" ...

                      -- Michael

                      > -----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

                    • juliandba
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 19, 2007
                        I have located an electronic copy of the rules, but not the map.
                        Rules are now uploaded to the 'files' page of this group
                        as 'Year_4_Emperors.zip'.

                        Basically players draw cards, write down orders, and move armies
                        according to orders. Battles are fought as per standard DBA with
                        casualties being removed as per standard.

                        Many of the cards are similar to Phalanx Games' Nero, although I
                        swear that I had no prior knowledge of these rules!

                        As soon as I can find a copy of the map, I will upload this as well.
                        If I remember right, it was divided into packets of three for each of
                        the players:
                        Hispania, Gaul, Britannia;
                        Italia, Raetia, Illyicum;
                        Greece, Moesia, Thrace;
                        Asia, Syria, Egypt; and
                        Mauritannia, Africa, Numidia.

                        As I said, this game was fairly successful even with a highly
                        toublesome member in the player group. It may be worth revisiting the
                        written orders part of the rules.

                        Best of luck,

                        Julian.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 19, 2007
                          Quite right Michael,

                          All this time I thought the link was broken.

                          If anyone gives this campaign a go, I would love to hear how you found
                          it (good and bad) and what improvements you would like to see.

                          Julian.

                          --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Fischer"