Intro question on camps

  • adegarbett
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2006
      Hi there

      I waited to see if there was going to be any chatter but it seems I
      will need to shout up if I want a chat!

      So, just getting back into DBA but confused about the size of camps in
      2.2... I am assuming that fitting into a rectangle the length plus
      width of which totals no more than 4 element widths means that a camp
      may have a maximum perimeter of 160mm in 15mm scale? If so this is a
      pity as it cramps one of the fun sides of this game for me, building
      camps that followers can fit onto...

      So how do you get around this?

      Cheers and perplexed

      Ade G
    • Bob Beattie
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2006
        in Phil's new math, he is dealing with a half perimeter. One length
        plus one width cannot exceed 4BW=160mm. So, 80 by 80 is good. 40 by
        120 works. 20 by 140 is about the max, as you need to still be able
        to fit an element inside. I have suggested in the past that you
        could make a bigger camp but have some of it hang off the board.
        Maybe even make a big camp shell and under it have a marker the
        actual size. Show the actual size to opponent, then put on the big
        shell. If opponent gets close, take off the shell and play with the
        legal size area.

        Some people can make nice camps within the bounds of the rules. See
        some of those by Mike Demana on Fanaticus.

        Bob

      • kuijt@umiacs.umd.edu
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2006
          On Sat, 2 Sep 2006, adegarbett wrote:

          > So, just getting back into DBA but confused about the size of camps in
          > 2.2... I am assuming that fitting into a rectangle the length plus
          > width of which totals no more than 4 element widths means that a camp
          > may have a maximum perimeter of 160mm in 15mm scale?

          Not quite. Perimeter is twice (Length + Width). A legal camp might be
          120x40, or 100x60, or some odd shape that fits within a rectangle 110x50,
          and so on.

          > If so this is a
          > pity as it cramps one of the fun sides of this game for me, building
          > camps that followers can fit onto...
          >
          > So how do you get around this?

          Ignore it.

          Having a larger-than-legal camp is not an advantage, and making beautiful
          or interesting camps is a cool part of the hobby. So if you want to make
          a camp that is 100x100, do it. Nobody will complain. If you are worried
          about it, put a 100x60 rectangle of felt underneath your beautiful camp,
          and if anyone complains you tell them that if they get close to your camp,
          you'll take the nice-looking part off and they can use the smaller piece
          to determine if they are in combat with your camp or not.

          But nobody will complain. I've got dozens of too-large camps, and nobody
          has ever complained.

          DK
        • Michael Demana
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2006
            on 9/2/06 3:42 PM, Bob Beattie at beattie@... wrote:

            > Some people can make nice camps within the bounds of the rules.
            > See some of those by Mike Demana on Fanaticus.

            -- Thanks, Bob. Or see my inspiration: Dave Kuijt's camp page at:
            http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~kuijt/dbaCamps/camps.html

            Seeya!
            -- Mike Demana
            Check out my travel web page at: www.worldwidemike.com
            Or my gaming web page: http://www.geocities.com/mikedemana
            Or the G.L.A.D.B.A.G. site: http://hmgsgl.com/GLADBAG/index.html

          • adegarbett
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 3, 2006
              Hi Bob

              Thanks for that explanation.

              I re-read the text and thought this was the case, just Phil not
              being crystal to those of us who do not think like him ;-)

              Cheers

              Ade G