Re: Elephants meeting friends

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 39 , Feb 28, 2006
      Thanks Terry!

      Sorry it took so long to respond, but I appreciate the clear
      outlining of this particular point of logic.

      It applies to me because I like Seleucids and Eumenes armies and
      like to wreak havoc with El. Potentially they could be in column
      one day and...

      Although it does not apply to the game micro-universe that we shall
      call DBA, let's reflect what real elephants may have done on the
      field of battle. Just for fun...

      Let's now assume that some sharp pencils have already coded up their
      vision of how it should work and plugged all their collective genius
      into a PC game after man-years of research and coding and testing.

      In this PC game, it is observed that El can 'run amok' when they
      take casualties and can kill friends. When they do this, the User
      (the one with the godly powers of Time Stop, unlimited PIPs, and
      near-total situational awareness of the battle) has the option
      of "skull staking' the El where the driver supposedly puts down the
      wild beast with a stake and mallet. There is apparently historical
      evidence to support this.

      Once they have run amok, they seem to never stop running amok.
      Clearing the area of friends and letting them live, forever stomping
      around the battlefield, improves your victory points total.

      During the initial moments of running amok, they seem to have a kind
      of recoil move, and friends around them start dying immediately.
      This continues until they are clear of friends, which could be a
      while. There is no limit on the number of friends they could
      potentially kill. Theoretically, you could throw your whole army in
      their way. They won't attack or defend themselves, just sit they
      and let Jumbo whack 'em!! ha!!

      So if the interpretation of the El recoiling into El situation in
      DBA is that the El are mutually destroyed - then both the El must
      have gotten the "stake and mallet and down the beast" order. I
      could see the element leaders of the El giving a signal to his
      friends in front of him that are starting to run amok and bound to
      collide with his El. Maybe they even had a special flag signal for
      this. Something only El element leaders could carry, perhaps. That
      would explain why the El would live if they ran amok into non-El
      friends, facing same direction or not, but it doesn't explain how El
      manage to "rally" and be fully functional again after being
      recoiled. But then, the PC game does not attempt to explain why El
      can never "rally".

      One way or another, I will have to get a local group consensus on
      this some day or another... its bound to come up. Pun for ya.

      Hmm, now that I think about it, they group will probably say, 'oh
      yeah, they are both killed dude', because I have most the El in the
      group. Rats! :)

      I guess I will have to avoid putting El in column! Down with anti-
      elephant bias! :))

      ~mArK

      --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, "TERRY GRINER" <TGRINER@...> wrote:

      > Is an El destroyed if it's recoil takes it into friends not facing
      in the
      > same direction?
      >

      > This depends upon who is reading the rule. My opinion is:
      >

      > A. There is a sentence "If it is Elephants" which says El destroy
      all
      > friends met. Nothing is said about interpenetrating or pushing
      back
      > friends.
      >

      > B. Then there is a sentence "If it is not Elephants" which talks
      about
      > interpenetrating or pushing back certain types of friends facing
      in the same
      > direction. This sentence does not apply to El.
      >

      > C. Then there is a sentence that says (among other things) a
      recoiler is
      > destroyed if it meets friends it can not pass through or push back.
      >

      > I think since El destroy friends met rather than passing through
      or push
      > back them back (A), the part of (C) dealing with pushing back or
      passing
      > through friends met does not apply to El.
      >

      > However, Bob has brought up a quote from Phil directed at version
      2.0 in
      > which he indicated recoiling El would mutually destroy El met.
      This quote
      > could be extrapolated to include other friends met as per (C). It
      could
      > also be taken as dealing only with El meeting El and not
      applicable to the
      > general conditions of (C). It could also be taken as irrelevant
      to 2.2
      > since it was not addressed by any noticeable changes in 2.2. Phil
      has
      > changed his mind in the past. Finally, as Bob recently pointed
      out, the
      > wording has been changed from "could not" to "cannot" pass through
      or push
      > back. Perhaps this is significant in resolving this issue one way
      or
      > another, but no one has suggested how.
      >

      > I say Jumbo stomps on all friends met (A) without being destroyed
      under any
      > of the terms regarding such friends found in(C).
      >

      > Others may decide to rely upon Phil's comment about El meeting El
      to declare
      > the friends met conditions of (C) to be in full effect for El.
      >

      > Others may just scratch their heads in wonder.
      >

      > Terry in Spokane

      Of Mark
      > Sent: Friday, February 17, 2006 11:47 AM
      > To: DBA@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [DBA] Re: Elephants meeting friends
      >

      > --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, Robert Beattie <beattie@> wrote:
      >
      > In a tournament this weekend, I stupidly recoiled my elephant into
      >
      > not just one but TWO elements in column.
      >

      > Measuring 40mm, we could see jumbo's rear had gone clear through
      the

      > first element and well into the next, thus BOTH were destroyed.
      >

      > Grim, but I believe the correct ruling, yes?
      >

      > In this case, the two elements were 'facing the same direction'.
      >

      > If they had been askew, would also El be destroyed?

    • Mark
      Message 39 of 39 , Mar 1, 2006
        --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, "TERRY GRINER" <TGRINER@...> wrote:

        > The mental picture of all the mahouts destroying their own elephants
        in
        > response to a signal from the leader puts me in mind of the "Judean
        People's
        > Front Crack Suicide Squad" (from the LIFE OF BRIAN) who arrived on
        the scene
        > of battle and then all committed suicide.
        >
        > Terry in Spokane

        That sounds like how all my typical DBA battle plans pan out, thanks
        to the dice gods!! ha!

        ~m