Basing 6mm Baccus Figs

  • jam55126
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2006
      I am about to take the plunge into ancients using 6mm Baccus figs but I
      have a few questons regarding basing first that I hope people here can
      help me out.

      I don't want to have to cut the stips of Baccus figs up unless I
      absolutely have too; I want the Baccus strips to remain whole and
      complete. Yet the troop type has to be distinguishable at a glance from
      across the table. And with 6mm scale figs, paint scheme alone may not
      be enough to distinguish troop type. So my question is this;

      How are people distinguishing between the different DBA troop types
      using strips of 6mm Baccus figs?

      Thank you in advance.
    • russcat9
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 2006
        Cut them up.

        Trust me, it's dead easy.

        Generally, you get 8 close order foot across, 2 deep, on a 40mm base,
        for a total of 16 figures.

        Loose order foot generally work out around 12-14 figures.

        Skirmish order foot could be anything from a handful to whatever you
        feel is reasonable.

        For Cavalry, I tend to go with 5 riders towards the back of the base,
        with an extra rider centrally in front. You could fit more.

        For Light Horse, I go with 3 and 1. But again, you can fit more.

        For Knights, I'd add 1 or 2 extra riders.

        Hope this helps.

        Paul

        --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, "jam55126" <moorekroshus@s...> wrote:

        > I am about to take the plunge into ancients using 6mm Baccus figs but I
        > have a few questons regarding basing first that I hope people here can
        > help me out.
        >
        > I don't want to have to cut the stips of Baccus figs up unless I
        > absolutely have too; I want the Baccus strips to remain whole and
        > complete. Yet the troop type has to be distinguishable at a glance from
        > across the table. And with 6mm scale figs, paint scheme alone may not
        > be enough to distinguish troop type. So my question is this;
        >
        > How are people distinguishing between the different DBA troop types
        > using strips of 6mm Baccus figs?
        >
        > Thank you in advance.

      • TERRY GRINER
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 2006
          Paul's system below is good, especially since it takes advantage of your
          ability to put two ranks of 6mm figures on a base. That really adds to the
          visual presentation of each element. However, if your main concern is being
          able to differentiate troop types at a glance, your might consider two solid
          ranks of 8 foot for the heavier element types, one solid rank of 8 for Ax
          and one rank with 4 or 6 figures cut up into groups of 2 with space in
          between for Ps. Heavier cavalry types could have two ranks of 3 figures
          each while lighter types have only one such rank. Kn could have two ranks,
          each with enough figures to cover most of the element base width, say 6
          figures.

          This system would make recognition at a glance easier, but would lose some
          of the visual appeal of more tightly packed figures on each element base.

          Terry in Spokane

          Generally, you get 8 close order foot across, 2 deep, on a 40mm base,
          for a total of 16 figures.

          Loose order foot generally work out around 12-14 figures.

          Skirmish order foot could be anything from a handful to whatever you
          feel is reasonable.

          For Cavalry, I tend to go with 5 riders towards the back of the base,
          with an extra rider centrally in front. You could fit more.

          For Light Horse, I go with 3 and 1. But again, you can fit more.

          For Knights, I'd add 1 or 2 extra riders.

          Hope this helps.

          Paul

          --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, "jam55126" <moorekroshus@s...> wrote:

          > I am about to take the plunge into ancients using 6mm Baccus figs but I
          have a few questons regarding basing first that I hope people here can
          > help me out.
          >
          > I don't want to have to cut the stips of Baccus figs up unless I
          > absolutely have too; I want the Baccus strips to remain whole and
          > complete. Yet the troop type has to be distinguishable at a glance from
          across the table. And with 6mm scale figs, paint scheme alone may not be
          enough to distinguish troop type. So my question is this;

        • Arnstein Orten
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 9, 2006
            On Fri, 6 Jan 2006, TERRY GRINER wrote:

            | Paul's system below is good, especially since it takes advantage of your
            | ability to put two ranks of 6mm figures on a base. That really adds to the
            | visual presentation of each element. However, if your main concern is being
            | able to differentiate troop types at a glance, your might consider two solid
            | ranks of 8 foot for the heavier element types, one solid rank of 8 for Ax
            | and one rank with 4 or 6 figures cut up into groups of 2 with space in
            | between for Ps. Heavier cavalry types could have two ranks of 3 figures
            | each while lighter types have only one such rank. Kn could have two ranks,
            | each with enough figures to cover most of the element base width, say 6
            | figures.
            |
            | This system would make recognition at a glance easier, but would lose some
            | of the visual appeal of more tightly packed figures on each element base.

            I think you can do both. My suggestions (for H&R, slightly smaller than
            Baccus):

            http://folk.uio.no/arnsteio/DBXin6mm/basing.html

            Regards,
            Arnstein
            Arnstein Orten: Sysadmin, Dept. of Earth Sciences, Oslo, Norway
            DBx in 6mm: http://folk.uio.no/arnsteio/DBXin6mm/
            Samurai in 10mm: http://folk.uio.no/arnsteio/samurai/