Re: Just joined

  • Jack Sheriff
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 2, 2005
      --- In DBA@yahoogroups.com, "Erik Chase" <erikc637@y...> wrote:
      > I just joined the group after deciding to branch into Ancients. I
      have
      > been gaming WWII, Thirty Years War and Napoleonics. My particular
      > interest in this area is Biblical Era. With the release of Ceaser's
      > Assyrians and the pending release of others in this time frame, I
      have
      > to ask at what point in time does the Biblical age end and what
      armies
      > would actually be fielded against each other.
      >
      > Thanks for any information.
      >
      > Erik C

      To elaborate on Bob's answer a little bit...

      The range of armies that get labeled "Biblical" is somewhat flexible,
      but by and large includes any army that fought in the near east
      between around 3000 BCE to the fall of the Assyrian Empire, with most
      of the focus on the last half of that period.

      A typical range of armies that are commonly played includes:

      Hyksos
      Mitanni
      Urgaritic
      New Kingdom Egyptian (probably the most common)
      Hittite Empire (perhaps second most common)
      Middle Assyrian
      Early Hebrew
      Sea Peoples
      Philistine
      Neo-Hittite
      Later Hebrew
      Skythian
      Neo-Babylonian
      Neo-Assyrian Empire/Later Sargonid
      Lydian

      As Bob mentioned, the DBA book includes a more or less complete list
      of enemies for each of these armies. As for which would be fielded
      against each other, it all depends on the circumstances.

      In our home games we try for Historical matchups most of the time,
      but we also take advantage of David Kuijt's and Dave Schlanger's
      unusually large collection of armies. What you do at home will
      largely depend on what you and your friends have available.

      At tournaments you are likely to find a couple of different options.
      Many tournments are open, meaning open to any army, from Ancient
      Sumer to Wars of the Roses English. In those tournments, you will
      see lots of anacronistic matchups. In other tournaments, the focus
      will be narrower. Perhaps just Book I armies (DBM divides its army
      lists into four separate books and DBA follows this pattern in
      identifying armies). Sometimes the focus is even tighter.
      Tightening the focus has the advantage of making the matchups more
      historical in character, but has the disadvantage of limiting the
      entrants to those with the correct armies.

      The Themes that Bob mentioned try to get the best of both worlds.
      There are six different themes (everything from Biblical to Later
      Medieval) and every army is included in at least one theme. So even
      if you only have one army available to you, you still are guaranteed
      of having a theme to join, and of having somewhat historical
      matchups. If you bring Neo-Assyrians, you may have to face New
      Kingdom Egyptians, but at least you won't be facing Medieval French!

      Welcome to the list.

      - Jack
    • David Brown
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 3, 2005
        Hi there,

        Don't know if there's an accepted end date for the Biblical era - on the run
        I'd suggest the Persian capture of Babylon in 539?

        The DBA booklet gives a guide to historical enemies for your favourite
        armies.

        Regards

        David Brown